Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The rowing ferries from the Quay were much used, An Act passed in 1859 authorised the Lymington Railway Company to acquire the ancient ferry across the river, but the company never took up the offer. Instead the ferry was sold by the proprietors at a public auction to Mr. Badcock, in who se family it remained until the 1930s. Some of his ferrymen in the rowing boats were Billy Cruse, 'Bussy' Shutler, 'Brimble' Arnold, 'Ollie' Winkworth, and 'SaIly' Miller. A later ferryman was 'Puffer' Tomkins, who, around 1930, was the worse for drink when rowing a lady passenger out to Old Ferry House late one light. On his return trip, 'Puffer' feIl into the river, but hung on to the stern of the boat. 'Puffer's' worried son later called out in the darkness, and rowed out to haul his father from the cold water. Despite an injection administered by Dr. Pitt, 'Puffer' died of hypotherrnia, The oarsmen in the picture are using pickaxes to break through the ice.

50. The opening of the new Lymington cricket pavilion at the Sports Ground in May, 1913. The ceremony was carried out by Viscountess St. Cyres of Walhampton, and amongst the group of players is secretary MI. G.c. Vicary, Lymington Cricket Club was in fact founded in 1807 - and one inhabitant of the town expressed the wish that, on his burial in the adjoining churchyard, his grave be so placed that boys might stand on the stone to watch the cricket. At the well attended annual meeting of the club in 1883, 'MT H. Jupp, the famous Surrey cricketer, was secured as professional for the season'. Henry Jupp had been the Surrey opener for 20 years, and had appeared in the first ever Australia v England Test match, at Melbourne in 1877. By 1878 MI. T.W. Case was running a sports shop at 73, High Street. The pavilion was mysteriously destroyed by fire one evening in May, 1968.

51. Baker, caterer and confeetioner William Heyworth ran his Lymington Steam Bakery from 119 High Street and these New Street premises, near the Baptist Church, in 1907. 'Dinners and Parties eatered for,' he advertised. He stands with seven horse-drawn earts and one push-cart, showing the prosperity of the business - but in 1914 the High Street shop was bumed out. Buildings at the rear of the picture include a hayloft and stables in whieh Mr. Gale kept his horses and coachbuilt waggon from whieh he ran his hardware business. He earried pots and pans of all shapes and sizes, and at the rear were brass taps from which he dispensed paraffin into eustomers' reeeptacles. His stables were converted to form part of the Community Centre in Cannon Street, the inspiration of Robert Hole in 1946 - now reckoned to be a 'model' of its type with inquiring visitors from home and abroad.

52. Low-lying roads along the rîverfront were flooded most years as the river overflowed - but in 1909 there was great devastation as the banks were burst by a double tide. This picture shows relief workers rowing along Waterloo Road. One of the worst hit areas was to be found in Bath Road, where the waters rose 8 feet inside houses - halfway up the staircase, Boards were placed around the room walls in an attempt to keep out the salt. With all manner of objects floating along the roads, chickens in coops from the Lyrnington side were washed up on the Walhampton side of the river. Supplies of food were taken by rowing boat for the relief of those imprisoned in their hornes.

53. Home Mead, the house occupying No. 54 High Street, did not possess a particularly elegant façade, but its main virtue was a superb uninterrupted view across the Solent to the Isle of Wight from the rear of the house. The occupiers were Mrs. Haldane and Miss Spike until the property was requisitioned as a hospital for troops during the First World War. This photograph shows wounded soldiers with Red Cross nurses on the lawn at the rear of Home Mead. Later the property became Mersley School, and during the Second World War was used as a furniture store with an improvised platform on its High Street frontage, from which townsfolk were implored to patriotically invest in National Savings campaigns. High-ranking officers took the salute from the platform at special parades. After the war Home Mead was allowed to deteriorate as it remained uninhabited, until compulsorily purchased by the G.P.O. in 1960 and the new main post office constructed on the site, which was previously at No. SS.

54. On the left is the Londesborough Hotel, first called The Nag's Head, built before 1675. In the early 1700s the mayor and burgesses held meetings there to discuss parish matters with the overseers and churchwardens. When a Lodge of Freemasons was formed in the town in 1764, they first met at the Crown, Buckland, but that same year moved to The Nag's Head, before migrating to Ringwood 13 years later. Mail coaches ran from the hotel. Beyend the passageway in the picture is the London Central Meat Co., which became Ashton Smith the florist before the property was demolished in 1943 to provide a wider entrance to the bus station- - previously bus drivers had negotiated this entrance with consumate skill, with only inches to spare on either side of their vehicles. Seen next door at No. 36 is the watchmaker's shop of MI. A. Green, and in No. 37 is Mr. J. Fisher the outfitter. Parked outside Elliott's further up the High Street are waiting grooms in a stage-coach and an open carriage.

55. Shops at the foot oftown hili, at the corner of Gosport Streel. The one on the left belonged ro Mr. Eli Riekman. where he ran his fishmonger's business from 1851 for more than half a century. Fish for sale lay in the baskets outside - while in the window a poster teils the entertainment 'My Soldier Boy' is 10 be shown locally in February 1902. Later Mrs. Balls ran this shop as a gentiemen's and boys' outfitters. The shop on the corner, No. 139, was run by F. & W. Giddon, the saddlers. This was subsequently acquired by Mr. Pearce, who ran a china business there. This shop has long since been demolisbed - or collapsed! - to make way for the widening of Gosport Streel.

NELLWORTHY

P1S-;O es I::.D

RINCS OF QUALITY

~ =.:::". .

. THE C,;OICE or Tt4E EXPERT

56. The Wellworthy factory, pictured in Stanford Road around 1930. lts founder, John Howlett, had worked as a motor engineer with Dairnler, Wolseley and Austin before arriving in Lyrnington in 1912 to manage South Coast Garages in Stanford Road. Despite setbacks, MI. Howlett kept the firm solvent, though in 1914 most ofhis nine mechanics left for war service. Mr. Howlett won piston ring orders for South Coast Garages which were fitted to the Gnome Monosoupape aero engine, the Bentley rotary engine, and AEC omnibus engines. In June 1919, Wellworthy Ltd. was established as a private company, while South Coast Garages continued to make heavy losses. In 1925 Wellworthy took over the garage finn's buildings and plant, Mr. Howlett's preoccupation with quality resulted in a prestigieus contract for Rolls-Royce aero engines. The Ampress factory was built in 1939. The cornpany thrived, and by 1969 sales reached iW-million. In 1975 Wellworthy employed 1,800 in Lymington.

57. On the left is Town House, on the corner opposite the Anglesea Hotel. Occupier of this house was Mrs. Ethel Pyne, along with her mother and sister. In the late 1920s, Town House was taken over by Wellworthy for offices, then before the war the house along with the terraeed cottages beyond, as far as the narrow carriageway through to Eastern Road - was demolished as the piston ring factory was extended. Mrs. Pyne joined Wellworthy as company secretary in 1918, and such was her dynamism that she was áppointed a director in 1924. At one time the wad from Town House to the Eastern Road junction was included in Queen Street - but later it was to form part of Southampton Road. On the right is the shop of Jennings the bakers, founded in 1930.

58. It was back in 1876 that Lymington Football Club was founded, when their president, Sir Harry Burrard, allowed the use of a meadow near Barfields, rent free. In 1879 Barfields, which included five fjelds and three allotment gardens, was sold at an auction in The Nag's Head Hotel-later renamed the Londesborough - to John Lane Shrubb for no,ooo. His ownership helped ensure that part of the estate would be preserved for the playing of football and cricket. In the 1920s the ground was purchased by a syndicate, then sold to Lymington Corporation in 1935. The photograph above shows the Lymington team at the turn of the century, with club officers. Left to right, back row: L. Newton, C.T. King, the Rev. P. O'Connell, C. Hil!, C. Lashmar, Fred Totterdell, I.W. Gibson and F.St. John. Middle row: G. Rixton, Frank Totterdell, J. Lane, G. Foss and B. Goulding. Front row: W. Taylor, J. Sullivan, F. Knight and W. Goodman.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek