Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Thomas Inman had been a boatbuilder in Hastings, but in 1819 he brought his family to Lymington in his own sailing boat. He started boat construction there in 1821, and the industry at Pylewell Hard also transferred to Inman's Yard. MI. Weld spent i30,OOO there on bis three famous yachts, The Arrow, The Lulworth and The Alarm. Mr. Weld later had The Alarm yacht cut in two, lengthened, and converted into a schooner of 248 tons. In 1845 Thomas Inman was succeeded by SOllS George and James, and the business extended. The Drill Hall was built as a sail-loft, and the building on the corner of Nelson Place and Quay Street as a spar-loft. After the death of the Inmans, their considerable estate was sold in 1887, and the boatyard passed on to various owners until George Courtney sold it in 1918 to MI. H.G. May, who brought bis Berthon Boat Company there - the company had been founded in Romsey by the Rev. E. Berthon, M.P., in 1877, and became famous for the Berthon collapsible lifeboats.

60. The present St. Mark's Church at Pennington was built in 1858 at a cost of f2,D38, raised by voluntary contributions and grants from church societies. A previous ehurch had stood on this site since 1838 - and whilst it was being demolished and the new ehurch built, services were held in the old school which had been opened in 1852. In 1796 David Dore was senior deacon of the Baptists, who met secretly in loeal homes before their church was founded in 1688. The Congregational Church was established in 1700, and members met at 31-32 St. Thomas' Street before the High Street church was built in 1847. The Methodist Church in Gosport Street was founded in 1859, forming part of the Newport, Isle of Wight, Wesleyan circuit. The Roman Catholie ehureh, erected in 1859, was to the design of I.A. Hansom, famous for bis Hansom Cab. Earlier a temporary ehapel had been built on the site by MI. Joseph WeId.

61. Mr. Frank Bran proudly displays his Christmas pou1try and game, around 1910, outside his shop at No. 100 High Street, opposite the bus station entrance. The twenty rows of birds, stretching up on to the roof, include original Norfolk bronze turkeys, geese, pheasants, guinea fowl, chicken, mallard duck, woodcock and hare - though some birds do look rather scrawny! This shop was afterwards taken over by MacFisheries, who later moved to the opposite side of the road. In the meantime, Mr. Bran transferred to the top of St. Thomas' Street, in the shop second from the top on the southern side, where he set up in partnership with MI. Frank Foot. In 1953 Mr. Foot set up on his own account as a fishmonger and poulterer in a shop on the corner of Gosport Street and Station Street.

62. Quay Hili around 1930, with its fine cobbled surface. At the foot of the hili can be seen The Solent Inn, built around 1700 originally as a gentleman's residence, with a bowling green to the rear. In 1843 the landlord was George Stephens, and from the early days till around 1880 they brewed their own beer - Mew Langton closed the premises as a pub on 2nd February 1939. At the top of the hill on the right is the equally old King's Head - the landlord here in 1836 was Thomas Avery. On the bottom right-hand corner of the hili was The Alarm Inn, named after Mr. Weld's yacht. This inn eventually closed on 27th January 1923. Next door to the King's Head is seen Miller's the bakers and confectioners, and beyond that Mrs. Fanny Walden's general store. On the opposite side of the hili can be seen the side of Markwell's Stores, and further down the little Singer Sewing Machine shop, 'Lukie' Frampton the hairdresser, Mrs. House who sold appies, 'Soldier' Webb's sweet shop, and Mr. Winkworth who bought rabbit skins.

63. Houses in Southampton Road, looking towards the north in days when there were no proper ties on the opposite side of the road, which comprised Barfields. It was in 1251 that Baldwin de Redvers, the 8th Earl, presented these lands to the north of the church for the benefit of the inhabitants at large. He entreated his heirs 'to treat the burgesses reasonably and kindly'. The Earl presented the lands to the inhabitants in perpetuity 'Freely and in peace, by paying annually to me and my heirs 30 shillings at two annual terms, Easter and the fest of St. Michaƫl'. FIOm 1663 to 1784 the Burrard family purchased at different times 50 acres of this land, for which they appear to have paid a fair price. On the decline of that family, this area was acquired by various purchasers. In 1821 Sir Harry Burrard Neale presented the churchwardens three-quarters of an acre of Barfields, to extend the churchyard at the north of St. Thomas' Church.

64. A part of Lyrnington's heritage, the Shand Mason Steam Fire Engine. This machine was able to give two fire-fighting jets of water at a pressure of 100 Ibs. per square inch within five minutes of turn out, and burnt about 28 Ibs. of steam coal every working hour. This horse-drawn machine was first purchased by Bournemouth Corporation in 1900. Eight years later it was used to fight a large fire at Bournemouth Arcade. Whilst turning into the Arcade a rear wheel collapsed, throwing the captain of the crew to the ground with a fractured leg - but he refused to go to hospital, and valiantly directed operations from a stretcher. In 1919 it was purchased by Lymington Borough Council, and remained in service until replaced by a motor pump in 1928. The machine is photographed taking part in a Lymington carnival parade, and the firemen on board are (left to right): 'Buffy' Springer and Jack Cave at the rear, with George 'Bubbles' Leonard and Skipper Bert Harding sitting in front.

65. Lymington River, looking north towards the Quay, in days before the riverbank was reinforced, which led to considerable flooding along nearby roads. The tall building on the opposite side of the river, to the right, is Pierside Laundry. This was originally built by Major Jobling, somewhat ambitiously, as a theatre and place of entertainment. For the convenience of intended theatre patrons, the Major instituted bis own rowing ferry from the Quay - but he soon realised his theatre was badly situated, and that his ferry was infringing upon the rights of the ancient ferry proprietors. So they took over the Major's ferry and landing place, and the building became the Lymington Model Laundry, with many rows of washing lines at the rear to dry the clothing. The proprietors later included MI. Allanby, and in the 1930s, when there were fifty employees, MI. Piggot. In later times the site was used as an engineering works.

66. Gosport Street, looking south from the Methodist Chapel, showing yet more pubs. On the right, with the horse and cart outside at the foot of Cannon Lane, is the Star Inn, previously known as The Prince of Wales - James Granston was the landlord in 1847, and Henry Rawlins Bowden took over in 1879, and this pub closed in 1934. Imrnediately opposite is The Snowdrop Inn, where Henry St. John was landlord in 1872, but the licence expired on lIth July 1911, when the premises were closed. The large property in the distance is the Wheatsheaf, built around 1700. The first meeting of the local Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes Lodge was held at this inn. The Wheatsheaf was closed in January 1977.

67. The earliest known descendant of the Rooke family was Giles Rooke, of Romsey and Houghton, Hants, bom about 1670, whose grand-daughter Mary Pearce married Colonel William Burrard. One of their grandsons was Sir Giles Rooke, Kt., Judge of the Common Pleas, who was bom in 1743. He sett1ed in Lymington, where he was eventually buried, leaving five sons, Giles, William, Harry, George and Leonard Charles, all bom in Lyrnington. The Woodside property was purchased in 1830 - and William, who had been bom in 1747 and married Marianne, sister of Sir Harry Burrard Neale, died at 'Woodside' on 6th August 1831. His son, William Wowen Rooke, was an officer in the 2nd Life Guards, and died on 8th April1S83, at Woodside - and the marbie drinking fountain in St. Thomas' Street was erected in his memory two years later. He left two sons, Colonel Henry Douglas Rooke, and Algernon Wowen Rooke, both bachelors. Colonel Rooke was the benefactor who left the house and gardens to Lyrnington Corporation.

68. Queen Streel. On the left is Jennings the bakers, founded in 1930. Next along is The Olde English Gentleman pub, which at one time brewed its own beer. Next door is the blacksmiths, where the sparks flew, on the anvil at the forge, as harses were re-shod - Mr. Pack was succeeded by Mr. Parker as blacksmith. Beyond there lies the shopfront of Mr. Harry Leigh, the gentleman's bespoke tailor. On the opposite side of the raad, in days long befare the one-way system, is the temperanee establishment known as the Anglesea Hotel.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek