Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

89. ST. ANNES, CLIFTON DRIVE SOUTH, with Tram No. 1 loading up at the crossroads leading to St. Annes Square (on left) and to the Pierhead (right), Gill and Read's tall building (extreme left) adjoins Montauban Preparatory School with its front garden still enclosed circa 1901, by a brick and cobble wall. The Blackpool, St. Annes and Lytham Tramways Company purchased the tramways undertaking from private ownership in 1898 and began constructing double and single tracks and overhead cables for electric tramears which succeeded the earlier gas-operated or horse-drawn trams. The electricity supply system commenced in March 1901, when the horse-trams were sold off, followed by the sale of gas trams to Trafford Park Light Railway Company in 1903. They were still operating until1920.

90. THE FIRST RATED HOUSE IN THE NEW TOWN OF ST. ANNES. The small wooden bungalow, set in a wasteland, imrnediately inland from the railway (between Hove Road and Springfield Road) was occupied in January 1875 by a Rossendale couple, Mr. and Mrs. John Heap, whose furniture arrived in a railway wagon which was left uncoupled near their front door for a couple of hours before the engine arrived to draw it away empty. Mr. Heap was a builder. The inaugural sod for the building of the new town was about to be cut (February 1875) prior to the building of the St. Annes Hotel.

:.

91. ST. ANNES RüAD WEST (THE SQUARE), ST. ANNES looking inland circa 18941eading to the railway station between the trees in the distance. The tall properties (left), now among the principal shopping area of the town, are private residences with railed off front gardens with tall shrubs. Gill and Read's new premises, built in Enfield brick and terra cotta, with a glass verandah and a display of merchandise on the forecourt, stocked ironrnongery, hardware and chimney pieces, The property was occupied in the 1930's and for many years after by Montague Burton, the Tailors.

92. BEACH AND SOUTH PROMENADE, ST. ANNES in 1892 before the erection of the present iron sand-shield. Behind the bandstand (left) is the St. Ives Hotel which began as a schooL The spire (centre left) belongs to the Wesleyan Church shortly after building. Behind the Lifeboat Monument in the rockery gardens, the original Fern Lea, now greatly extended, presents three crow-stepped gables on the elevation. The buildings immediately to the right have been developed into the modern Dalmeny Hotel. The tall dark brick building before the Grand Hotel (right) was The Clifton Hotel which was demolished after the Second World War (site on corner of Hornby Raad now occupied by a block of flats).

93. ST. ANNES, the Lifeboat 'Nora Royds', which replaced the lost 'Laura Janet', photographed at practice, from the Pier looking north towards the isolated Ormerod Home (opened 1890).

94. ST. ANNES, KILGRIMOL SCHOOL (now District Club) on Clifton Drive South, founded by John Allen, former Principal of Avenham College, Preston, in 1875, one of the earliest buildings in the new town. He named it after a legendary oratory which vanished pre-Conquest and is supposed to have existed near the site of St. Annes Old Golf Links. Mr. Allen, assisted by his wife, not only ran the school successfully for a number of years but engaged acrimoniously in local affairs, serving on the Local Government Board, founding the Ratepayers' Union, a Working Men's Club with Reading Room, launehing the first local newspaper, more of a ld. monthly pamphlet called 'The Miscellany', acting as Secretary to the Liberal Association and organising lectures, evening classes, meetings and musical treats for the early settlers, many of them held in the nearby Wesleyan Sunday School-Chapel. Mrs. Allen and Ki1grimol boarders and day boys regularly contributed musical items.

95. KILGRIMOL SCHOOL, ST. ANNES under the Principalship of Mr. J.F. Davenport who entered into partnership with the founder, Mr. John Allen, in 1892. A few years later, Mr. Allen, who had lost his wife, retired from teaching and opened a herbalist's shop in Park Road, St. Annes, advertising hirnself as a 'Character Delineator, Mental Scientist and Phrenologist' and a purveyor of Automatic Sight Testmg Spectacles and American Box and Keel Kites. Tragically, by his own hand, he died in 1904. Mr. and Mrs. Davenport developed Kilgrirnol School to a high standing among educational establishments while the boarders enjoyed wholesome and appetising fare and revelled in the unrestricted freedom of the surrounding dunes. Former pupils, who organised a complimentary Dinner on the occasion of Mr. Davenport's retirement in 1913, paid glowing tributes to his high ideals, straightforwardness in business, and considerable intellectual abilities. He died towards the end of 1915 at the age of sixty-three.

96. KILGRIMOL SCHOOL PLA YING FIELDS, ST. ANNES. Building developments since the Secoud World War have swallowed up vast acres of open grassland and the area enclosed by St. Patrick's Road South, St. Thomas's Road (East) and Church Road was used by severa1 private schools, including Kilgrimol, for games and athletics. The distant properties on the left are in St. Alban's Road. The church tower is that of Church Road Wesleyan Church, opened in June 1905 (a Mission Church, later Sunday School premises, existed as early as 1888). The terra ce houses (extreme right) are in Church Road, overlooking the junction of St. Thomas's Road (East).

Sl::...Andrew·s Road. St. Anaes-on-Saa

97. ST. ANNES, ST. ANDREW'S ROAD SOUTH, taken from the Crescent, from a card posted in 1906. The properties on the right are still private houses with front gardens and on the left the three-storey property up steps behind the railings is still residential. West Crescent leads down (right) into the principal shopping area of

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek