Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, EAST BEACH, LYTHAM was erected in 1849 and consecrated in September 1850. Squire Clifton, a Roman Catholic, gave the site, and the building costs were defrayed by subscription. This stone church with tower and spire has severa1 good memorial windows from the 1850's and 1860's. St. John's became a separate parish in 1870.

10. LOWTHER GARDENS AND BANDSTAND, L YTHAM, and a group of Victorians enjoying a sumrner's day (and dodging flying tennis balls, presumably, since there were no protective nets round the courts to safeguard spectators).

11. LYTHAM, THE WHITE COTTAGE, EA8T BEACH, was not only 'extremely pretty' in the 1830's, but regarded as the 'belle of the village'. lts crigins are obscure but, by common report, it was a hunting lodge used by Squire Clifton or even, it was said, by Lord Sefton's guests when much of the area was a rabbit warren. A much smaller predecessor occupied the site in 1786 and in 1812 when there were only six houses on the front between the Windmill and Queen Street Squire Clifton owned, and Wm. Rawstorne, Attorney, occupied the 'pretty marine cottage' which, by 1840, had been enlarged, squared up, heightened and probably re-roofed, Catherine Formby then moved into the attractive Beach-front residence, ofwhich the oldest portions are weIl over two hundred years old.

12. LYTHAM'S MARKET HALL, opened in 1848, clock tower raised in 1872, as it looked in the mid-1890's before conversion into separate shops, before trams began to operate, and when the drinking fountain, erected as a memorial to her husband, The Colonel, by Lady Eleanor Cecily C1ifton after his death in 1882, occupied the site of the First World War Memorial. The C1ifton Estate Office (far right) overlooks Hastings Place. The old Market Square was in reality a triangle where markets and fairs were held from time immemorial close to the village cross, stocks and pub1ic pump and the fish-stones where sales were conducted twice a week. The last fish-stones were replaced in 1837 at a cost of t8.

13. L YTHAM HALL PARK, MAIN ENTRANCE GATES to a design traditionally attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, are thought to have stood not far from the Clifton Estate Office and to have been moved to their present location berdering Ballam Road to coincide with prospects of the railway being brought through, as it was hoped, in the 1840's.

14. LYTHAM'S SECOND WESLEYAN CHAPEL, PARK STREET, built in 1868 in succession to the first smallMethodist place of worship in Bath Street erected in 1846 to accommodate two hundred worshippers. Lytham's population had increased and the townsfo1k were beginning to tolerate new ideas, whereas the evangelists fifty years earlier had met with hostility and/or indifference.

15. L YTHAM HALL, home of the Clifton family from 1606, standing on the site of a Benedictine Priory founded in 1190 and dissolved in 1536. The original manor house, built by the Cliftons shortly after purchasing the estate, was partially destroyed by fire in the mid-18th century. John Carr of York, the eminent Horbury-born architect, was commissioned to design this elegant Georgian frontage which was completed in the 1760's.

16. LYTHAM HALL circa 1910 with an early motor car in the hands of an intrepid lady driver. The chauffeur with an inscrutable expression settles for the front passenger seat, This is a winter study. The carriage-drive is muddy, the trees are bare and high winds have deposited debris on the normally immaculate lawns. Many wealthy and fashionable guests were invited to Lytham Hall, home of the proud landowning Cliftons who, down the centuries, had married into most of the illustrious families in the Kingdorn.

17. LYTHAM PIER, opened on Easter Monday 1865 by Mrs. (later Lady Eleanor Cecily) Clifton, wife of the local Squire. Col. John T. Clifton and sister of the Earl of Lonsdale and Lowther. Mayoral parties, county notables and day-trippers by the hundred turned up to give the pier a good send-off, Bunting fluttered, bands marched, two corps of Volunteers stood to attention and the Lytharn lifeboat, gaily bedecked, headed a flotilla of fishing craft and private yachts close to the shore. On payment of 2d., one could walk 'for exercise, pleasure or any other purpose' along its 914 feet length, paying an additiona14d. for a perambulator or 6d. for a 'bath or sedan chair'. Local boatmen could embark or disembark on payment of tI per year though the shipping or unshipping of 'any sheep, cattie or merchandise' was prohibited.

18. LYTHAM PIER DAMAGED, 1903. On 6th October, the force of the gale drove two grab barges headlong towards the Pier. The tug 'Energy' was prevented by her considerably deeper draught and the ferocity of the weather from rendering assistance to the barges which ploughed through the Pier, completely severing a section between the entrance and the Pavillon which, fortunately, was not affected. For a time Pavillon andjetty were totally isolated and without access. A Court action followed and Preston Corporation, the body responsible for Preston Doek and navigation in the Ribble, were obliged to pay !1,400, the cost of restoring the Pier.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek