Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. LYTHAM GREEN AND PIER ENTRANCE looking east in the summer of 1929 with the spire of St. John's Church (left), the Windmill and Lifeboat-house (left of centre), and the two octagonal toll-booths at the pier-head. The scene looks lively enough but the rot was already setting in, numbers declined, the pier was closed altogether in 1938 and maintenance went by the board. Local boatmen and Trinity House pilots alone braved the creeping decay and used the structure for aceess to their craft until the pier was declared to be 'a potential danger to the public' . The Local Authority could have purchased it for a rnere i5,000 but declined and by Spring, 1960, the demolition men were hard at work dismantling the pier which had opened with such pride 95 years earlier.

20. LYTHAM PIER in the late 1920's. The Pavilion has gone (bumed down in January 1928) but the Floral Hall and sundry attractions at the seaward end still draw the crowds on a fine August day.

21. LYTHAM PIER in August 1929, thronged with visitors interested in activities in the Ribble Estuary. The Pavillon, which had stood half-way along the pier expanse, operated as a new cinema in 1926 but was burnt out in January 1928. Buildings at the seaward end were not affected, including the Floral Hall with facillties for dancing, café, shops and orchestra. The Floral Hall functioned until1938 by which time the decision had been taken to close the pier to the general public.

22. LYTHAM'S FIRST RAILWAY STATION in Station Road was demolished in the first half of the 1960's to provide a site for the new Fire Station which opened in 1966. It was one ofthe most exciting days in Lytham's history when the Preston and Wyre Railway Company opened a branch line, less than five miles in length, linking the town with Kirkharn and Preston, on 16th February 1846. Directors and notables were entertained to luncheon at Lytham Hall. Flags fluttered, bands marched, crowds from towns and villages al! around swarmed in and jammed the station approach. A decorated train with fourteen open carriages and only one lady, the Squire's wife, aboard, set off to a thunderous discharge of cannon and completed the return journey in fifteen minutes! The station was considered to be a little masterpiece of neat stonework and noble columns topped by a balustrade. Three smal! cottages adjoining housed the stationmaster, engine driver and fireman.

23. LYTHAM WINDMILL in working order, befare the fire of January 1919. It was erected in 1805 after Richard Cookson had obtained a lease from Squire Clifton for a plot on 'Lytham Marsh' for a 'windy milne'. It has acellar and four storeys and walls 5 feet thick at the base. After being damaged by fire at New Year 1919 it was bought by the loeal authority and fitted with a new cap and ornamental sails. Later, it was a café, an electricity sub-station, quarters for varia us maritime clubs and more recently as an oceasional Exhibition Centre. There are prospects of its working again in the near future. The Lifeboat-house adjoining was erected on the site of an old brick kiln in 1851 by Col. John Talbot Clifton to house Lytham's first lifeboat, name unknown, which collided with a sandbank in October 1852, lost six of her crew, and was replaced by the 'Eleanor Cecily' in 1854.

24. L YTHAM WINDMILL, ravaged by fire on 2nd January 1919. The interior was gutted, machinery crashed down, blazing tirnbers were flung far and wide and a store of grain was destroyed. It was the end of com grinding at Lytham though in 1983 there are hopes that the mill will be operating again as a tourist attraction.

25. LYTHAM, THE QUEEN'S HOTEL, on the Beach at the corner of Bath Street, was one of the few Lytham buildings with baths when it was built, under the name of The Neptune, by Squire Clifton in the 1850's. lts name was changed a few years later. The Trustees of the Wesleyan Chapel built next door in Bath Street in 1846 were reassured by the Squire in 1857, when a billiards room was added to the 'Neptune' , 'that no windows ... will be facing the chapel yard', a pro mise kept long after the worshippers had transferred to the Park Street premises in 1868.

26. LYTHAM circa 1900. Strolling in Green Drive, a tranquil tree-shaded walk and bridle path bordering Lytham Golf Club. A farmer Squire, John Talbot Clifton (1868-1928), socialite, explorer-poet, donated this woodland beauty spot to the Borough of LythamSt. Annes in celebration of the Golden Jubilee of the founding, in 1875, of the new town of St. Annes-onthe-Sea. As a seven-year old schoolboy. he had laid the foundation stone of the St. Annes Hotel, the fust building in the new town. Three years after handing over Green Drive in 1925 he died in Teneriffe.

27. L YTHAM - All aboard the gas tram circa 1899 as it turns into Church Road from Dicconson Terrace Terminus. (The advertisement reads: T. Sharp, Confectioner & Caterer, The Crescent, St. Annes, Tea & Luncheon Rooms, Accommodation for 60.) The horse-drawn landau is heading across Clifton Square into Park Street, with trees in the distance. The glass verandah at the corner (right) belonged to Mr. Crozier, Chemist, whose female relatives ran a high-class confectionery next door, up Park Street. The glass verandah (extreme 1eft) belengs to the building now occupied by Stringers', the Ladies' Outfitters.

28. L YTHAM TOWN CENTRE before 1900, showing the gas tram terminus in Dicconson Terrace opening to Henry Street (extreme left), Park Street and Clifton Street (right). Note single track with passing place, The British Gas Traction Company's trams ran on compressed coal gas pumped in, sufficient for 16 miles, at points along the route. The extension to Lytham was opened in 1897 and 20 gas trams trave1ling at 12 miles an hour were introduced circa 1900. Simultaneously, a few horse-drawn trams proved unsuccessful. The old gas tram depot in Henry Street (now W. & H. Williams' Motor showrooms) still has sections of track. It later became a roller skating rink and later still a silent cinema.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek