Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. LYTHAM, HûW CLIFTûN STREET LûûKED before many private dwe1lings were converted into shops, from a photograph dating back to around 1880. A shrimper's wife stands in the doorway. Front gardens have vanished but many of the trees still survive.

30. This postcard labelled 'First Tram into Lytham' must refer to the fust electric tram to operate between Lytham town centre and the Hospital in 1903, to the delight of loca1 residents.

" .,

.. ' .~

.. ..7(astings }'Iace ~ Öueen Street, _ . ..fytham.

31. LYTHAM'S FAVOURITE LANDMARK, 'OLD TOM', a magnificent elm tree standing in the middle of the road adjoining The County (formerly Commercial) Inn, overlooking Hastings Place and Queen Street leading to the Beach. The stoops (right) adjoin the old Clifton Estate Office. 'Old Tom', possibly two hundred years old, fell victim to Dutch Elm Disease and had to be felled, to the dismay of the loeal populace. Two commemorative garden seats are to be carved out of the timber; meantime, 'Young Tom', an 18 feet ash tree, was planted as a replacement at the end of November 1982. This postcard was despatched in 1904.

32. L YTHAM. Electric tram No. 6 leaving Market Square along the single track, bound for Blackpooi in the early 1900's. The St. Annes-on-Sea Urban District Council took over the loss-making trams on 1st November 1920, having commenced negotiations for the purchase in 1918. They had already spent f.140,OOO on the tramways before the amalgamatien of Lytham and St. Annes on 1st May 1922. Before the First World War a man employed on the tramways earned 30/- (f.1.50p) for a 60-hour week. By 1920, this had risen to 73/- (B.65p) for a 48-hour week, though it subsided to 65/- (f.3.25p) in 1922.

33. LYTHAM, ENTRANCE TO LOWTHER GARDENS circa 1910. Young Squire LT. Clifton (passenger), grandson of 'The Colonel' and Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, with Walter Williams, his maintenance expert, at the wheel. The friendship of these two and the romantic story of the founding of the firm ofWilliams Brothers began at the end of last century. By that time, Walter and Henry Williams, sons of the Rolling Stock Superintendent of London Metropolitan (Underground) Railways, having trained as engineers, had worked for White and Polly, Steam Engineers of Coventry; for Daimler, and for Darracq, the French firm who produced high-performance racing cars for wealthy enthusiasts at Paisley, Squire Clifton placed an order for a vehicle and a mechanic and Walt er Williams was appointed to maintain the landowner's motors, working at Mr. Clifton's hunting lodge near Ullapool, between Loch Broom and Rhidorroch Forest.

34. LYTHAM. ST AFF IN THE EARL Y DAYS OF W. & H. WILLIAMS circa 1913 showing implements of the trade and one of the early pneumatic tyres. After Henry Farman won the ParisfVienna race at 60 m.p.h. in a 70 h.p. Panhard-Le Vasseur, Squire Clifton purchased the winning vehic1e and sent Wa1ter Williams to collect it in Paris. He brought it over to Edinburgh as the city was celebrating news of the Relief of Mafeking (May 1900), drove it to Rhidorroch, the fust car to be seen at Ullapool where the natives, alarmed by its powerful Bleriot acetylene headlamp stabbing an unearthly beam along lonely Scottish tracks, promptly named it 'The Red Devil'. By 1903 the restless landowner (by his own confession 'selfish, of ten peevish and gubernatorial') had embarked on another protracted journey having ordered Wa1ter Williams to bring down the Panhard, a Darracq and a Daimler to Lytham and see them safely housed and maintained. If the coach-house was too full, surplus vehic1es were to be garaged in the stables behind the Clifton Arms Hotel and, after that, 'fill your time in while I am away'.

35. LYTHAM AND THE BIRTH OF THE OLDEST FIRM OF MOTOR ENGINEERS BE1WEEN BLACKPOOL AND PRESTON. By January 1904 Walter Williams had sent for his brother Henry saying 'U's great fun! Join me and we'll start a garage'. They were soon stocking petrol at 2s. Hd. (35p) per gallon and taking on W. Huil, their fitst employee. The finn's workshops still have many fittings left over from the stabie days, In the early years, the Williams Brothers were partial to the 'Vulcan' motor-car and the one pictured is a 16 h.p. model, vintage 1907.{)8. The brothers took a stand (No.87) at the Olyrnpia Motor Show in November 1910, advertising in the 'Lytham Times' that 'The Car For 1911 is the VULCAN 15.9' which they could supply for !290! (A skilled mechanic earned !2.2s.0d. a week in those days.) Nearly half a century after meeting the Lytham Squire, the firm's founder, accompanied by his son Allan, the present head, revisited Rhidorroch and was recognised by a canny old native who, after amoment's scrutiny, announced: 'I mind you. You're the Red Devil!'

Olitton Road, Lytham.

36. LYTHAM, CLIFTON ST REET circa 1903 with a single track: for electric trams and a passing place opposite the present G.P.O. The underground toilets have not yet appeared. The Ship & Royal Hotel (right) has scarcely changed. The glass verandah (right) is still there while to the right of the lady with the infant in a push-ehair is a garden gate to a private house, as many of the Clifton Street properties were originally.

37. LYTHAM, CLIFTON STREET looking east after the trams were electrified in 1903. The first underground toi1ets are in existence. The glass verandah (extreme left) belongs to Crozier, the Chemist. The verandah on the corner of Pleasant Street, immediately beyond the trarn-car, belonged to Tarbucks the Antiques Dealers. Busy loading and unloading before proceeding towards the Hospital, Tram No. 19 bears advertisements for Bovri1 and Dunville's Whisky.

38. L YTHAM, WESTBY ST REET early this century when man and horse could amble placidly along without danger from traffic near the town centre.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek