Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. LYTIIAM. Looking west towards the railway bridge rising in the distance, a No. 1 bus plies along Ballam Road in tree-lined Lytham, The cobble wall (right) forms the boundary of the old Lytham Hall Park estate. Photographed in the mid-1920's.

40. WATCHWOOD LODGE, BALLAM ROAD, one of several entrances to Lytham Hall Park, in the very early years of this century. Lcdge-keepers had to be on the alert for the Squire who would drive a tour-inhand or an early motor car with reckless exuberance and they were expected, as part of their duties, to keep their section of the carriage drives free from weeds,

Ba//am Road.

..(ytha 17}.

41. L YTHAM, BALLAM RĂ¼AD near the main entrance gates to Lytham Hall Park in Edwardian times, looking inland towards the present entrance to the Green Drive. There are no proper footpaths, very little traffic but bicycles are becoming popular.

42. THATCHING AT BALLAM on the outskirts of Lytham, across the road from the village school, with Bridge Farm, the whitewashed building, now pebble dashed and extended, then occupied by the Whiteside family whose story, "Ihree Bachelors of Ballam' is told in the author's 'Fylde Folk - Moss or Sand' (Dalesman paperback). The damsel in the picture is traditionally dressed in long black frock, white calico pinafore and cotton sunbonnet.

43. WESTWOOD, THE MINERS' CONVALESCENT HOME AT L YTHAM which stood East of Church Road tranquilly screened from the noise of passing traffic and overlooking the green of the Cricket Field. This massive pile, characteristic of the late Victorian and early Edwardian eras, was demolished to pro vide the site for a number of properties under the title of 'Westwood Mews' in 1981/82.

44. LYTHAM. Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 'Rail Motor' No. 11 (L.M.S. 10608), B1ackpoo1 Centra1 to Lytham train in Lytham Bay, 1913. Porters: W. Ward and J. Jolly.

45. LYTHAM, ST. CUTHBERT'S PARISH CHURCH in the 1890's. Until1873, when the St. Arme's Chapel ofEase was erected, it served the isolated farming and fishing community at Heyhouses, and the West End, now St. Annes. The long distance which had to be waJked over rough terrain was a distinct deterrent to would-be churchgoers, a matter of displeasure to Protestant Lady Eleanor Cecily, wife of the Roman Catholic Squire, differences in their religieus observances adding to a general uneasiness between them arising from incompatibility of temperament. (For further enlightenment, read "The Book of Talbot' by the late Mrs. Violet Mary Clifton, nee Beauclerk, who married Lady Eleanor Cecily's grandson.)

PEMBROKE HOUSE SCHOOL. ANSDELL, WEST OF LYTHAM.

46. ANSDELL, PEMBROKE HOUSE BOYS' SCHOOL, West of Lytham, situated along Clifton Drive when there was plenty of open space all around. The Headmaster was a MI. Leathley and there was plenty of competition for available scholars. In 1922 the local weekly paper carried advertisements for at least a dozen private day and boarding schools and there were several more functioning within the Borough at the same time. Several private Girls' Schools died a natural death after the opening of Queen Mary School in 1930 before which time most of the private Boys' School had come, or were coming, to an end.

Clifton Drive, AnsdelI

47. ANSDELL circa 1907, withfootpaths still unsurfaced. Lytham College (left) towers over the Methodist Mission before the Fairhaven Church was built at the corner ofWoodlands Road overlooked by the mock-Tudor gable of the Rossendale Hotel (now a Nursing Home). There is no sign of the White Church which was founded in 1904 but which operated in the brick Sunday School building for a time before the startling white edifice with the most magnificent stained glass windows for miles around was built, providing a landmark for mariners in the Ribbie estuary and for promenaders at Southport on a clear day.

The Beach, Ansdell

..... _ ..

..... .!

-.;. -< -:-~. -:.:".,;=' -A '_.0:.,;0

. "'

48. ANSDELL, GRANNY'S BA Y in the 1890's, where the fishing community of Commonside tied up their boats, the original 'Granny' probably emanating from that area. The area between Lytham and St. Annes was named after Richard Ansdell, R.A. (1815-1885), celebrated Victorian artist, Liverpool-born son of a wood block maker for ships. In the 1850's, after spending happy holidays here with friends and painting several scenes of Lytham which were exhibited by the Royal Academy, he built a summer residence among the sand-dunes, calling it 'Starr Hills' (now a Methodist Home for the Aged) and occupied it from 1861-1864. Ten years later it was purchased by Thomas Crouch Hincksman, reverend Methodist pioneer, who built the Bath Street Chapel, for his son Major Hincksman.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek