Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

59. FETTLING THE THATCH AT 'FANCY LODGE', circa 1929, one of the bormiest of all the Heyhouses properties with picturesque dormers, sentry box poreh and dripstones over the windows. It nestled close to the laneside, with a front garden wall of sea eobbles and a long kitehen garden and orehard at the rear, giving no hint of the tragedy whieh struck the Warbriek family in the summer of 1885. Between 10th July and 25th August five girls and one boy between the ages ofthree and sixteen and their forty-year old father, Richard Warbriek, had died and been buried in a eommunal grave in the churchyard at St. Armes. The property was later oeeupied by the Scott family who moved to the Trawl Boat before its conversion and after serving as an Electricity Sub-Station for a number of years was demolished in the 1940's, replaeed by a modern bungalow whieh, in turn, came down after a short life to provide the site for a large block of Georgian flats along the Blaekpoo1 Road.

60. HEYHOUSES, looking north-west up Moss Hall Lane towards the whitewashed farm on Northhouses Lane and a small cottage property on the opposite corner (right) demolished many years ago. Rawcliffe's Farm (left) still had its thatch in the late 1920's, and tiny windows from the days when holes in the wall were left unglazed, with iron bars for protection. The gable end clearly shows the use of sea-cobbles probably from an earlier original building, with additional roof space created by heightening in hand-made brick. The white property facing was demolished and the site redeveloped after the Secend World War.

61. HEYHOUSES IN THE SNOW. THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE circa 1929, some thirty years before it was demolished to provide a valuable site for post-war building. The low whitewashed building was a landmark staring up the junction of St. Annes Road East (formerly Daisy Lane) and Blackpool Road. lt was built in 1869 to replace a small, older property provided in 1832 for the education of 'as well boys as girls', though the boys were compelled to leave at the age of nine. Scholars each paid one penny twice a year 'for brooms and brushes for sweeping and cleaning the school room'. Sunday Services were conducted here by the Lytham Curate before St. Arme's Church was built. The property was converted into two cottages after the present Heyhouses School was built in 1880, and vanished from the scene altogether in 1959.

62. HEYHOUSES, 'OWD PEY BOB'S' COTTAGE (left) on the laneside (beside the exit from the Government Offices), with Sampson's Farm (right) and outbuildings which were cleared after the Secend World War for the building of flats at the corner of Heyhouses Lane and Singleton Avenue. 'Pey Bob' sold parched peas to schoolchildren with halfpennies to spare, en route to Heyhouses School in late Victorian times.

63. THE SECOND L YTHAM LIGHTHOUSE, a tirnber structure, was erected on a high sandbank (corner of Lightburne Avenue and the Promenade) in 1865, following the collapse on 22nd January 1863 of its stone predecessor which had stood nearer the sea from 1847. This was long before St. Annes was thought of, when Lytham extended to its borders with Blackpool. The new lighthouse operared continuously until1890 but remained in situ throughout Queen Victoria's reign, pro ving extremely popular with picnic parties who, by prior arrangement with the Blackpool and Lytham Railway Company, could be set down at a convenient point for 'the Lighthouse or Sand Hills on the Coast' ... an attraction advertised as 'an agreeable and pleasant jaunt for the day'. Two cottages nearby in the sand-dunes (Riley Avenue) were occupied by Squire Clifton's gamekeeper and the last lighthousekeeper, Josiah Cartmell.

~-::. --:=::::"-:;;::-----.,...:.:

64. ST. ANNES in the early years of this century. Mrs. Martha Singleton (left) with Lizzie Benson, the serving woman, standing on the cobble yard at the rear of Kilnhouse Farm (Kilnhouse Lane) before the house-portion was heightened and extended. Martha was married to Johnny Singleton, a lively, pithily-spoken, rustic comedian whose tales and rumbustious goings-on were still being retailed with relish fifty years after his death. The pair of them hailed from Marton Moss bust moved to Kilnhouse after the birth of three daughters, had six sons and another daughter there and only left when Martha was !aid to rest in St. Annes Parish Churchyard in 1909 and her devoted spouse joined her the following year. Martha's daughter Jane married George Gillett of Cross S!ack and her daughter Betty married into the Whitesides of South Heys.

65. ST. ANNES, THE ANYON FAMILY 'UP AT TWIGGY HILL' (now Highbury Road East) with Old Bella, the spaniel at the gate, during the First World War.

66. ST. ANNES. THATCHING AT EA VES' FARM on the corner of Smithy Lane and Church Road in the late 1920's, by which time the property was beginning to sag and was buttressed in brick (left). The sentry box porch and slit windows of the outbuilding (right) were traditional in the Fylde and can still be spotted on older farm premises. In its latter years, Eaves' farmhouse was kept upright by wooden props, the site having been redeveloped since the war.

67. ST. ANNES, HIGHBURY RaAD EAST, circa 1920, impossible to recognise now except for the two facing properties overlooking the junction with Headroomgate Raad. The two thatched cru ck cottages (left) were tied to Twiggy Hili farm, behind the trees on left, rents being Is. 6d. a week, at one time, and na rates, The methad of construction was traditional, sleeping space being provided in the roof, and gable ends projecting above the thatch as a precaution against boisterous sea winds.

68. ST. ANNES, GILLETT'S 'CROSS SLACK' FARM, HIGHBURY ROAD WEST in 1929 probably originated in the late 17th century when the hamIet of Cross Slack came into being on the site of the Old Links in a place where a boundary cross anciently stood with 'Kylgmoles' (Kilgrimol) beside it, after which a modern bungalow estate has been named. Old Nicholas Gillett, who rebuilt the barn (right) and left his initials and the date, 1796 to prove it, was reputedly a 'wrecker' whose hom lantern lured ships to their doom. Otherwise, he farmed and fished and traded in coals from the Wigan fields. His great-great-grandson Bill, nicknamed 'Wagger', a bachelor who fett1ed the old thatch with starr grass from the dunes, was the last of the line. After he died in 1963 vandals moved in, followed swiftly by demolition men who made an end of the last of the traditional cobble-and-thatch farmhouses in the township.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek