Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

69. ST. ANNES, CROSS LANE FARM, KILNHOUSE LANE at the West End of the old Lytharn Parish, early this century. The cobble outbuilding (left) survived until the 1960's, long after the thatched front portion of the farmhouse had been demolished and the projecting rear portion had been converted into living quarters. The whole site was cleared before the erection of St. Alban's R.e. Mission and Presbytery.

70. ST. ANNES PIER at the official opening on 15th June 1885 by the Honourable Fred Stanley, proof positive that the new elegant resort on the Lancashire coast had come of age! Plans for the erection of this marine pleasure structure were being considered as early as 1879, five years after the formation of the St. Annes-on-the-Sea Land and Building Company. Hard on the heels of the civil engineers came the steel-men and erectors who sank piles 50 feet below the surface. Wry-faced fishermen and disgruntled settlers might have preferred other capital schemes and amenities; but on opening day, all was pride and joy and celebration. Squire Clifton and his lady attended, along with civic dignitaries and notables and the whole length of the pier was crammed with well-wishers. The S.S. Wellington, a popular Blackpool paddle-stearner which regularly picked up passengers here and often anchored in the North Hollow (or Channel) nearby, cruised alongside bedecked with flags. The most poignant aspect of this joyful scene was the presence of the ill-fated Lifeboat 'Laura Janet' whose entire crew drowned in December 1886.

71. ST. ANNES PIER circa 1886 as it originally looked and befare there was any talk of widening, Admission was l d., increased to 2d. in the season. No slot machines or unsightly advertisements were allowed to mar the dignity of the structure which was weil patronised -indeed, aften congested- in fine weather. Boatmen, fishermen and paddle-steamer passengers used the jetty for embarking and disembarking and the Annual Regattas, early in September, attracted a record number of promenaders on to the pier, approximately 1,800 in 1899 (350,000 in 1970). Note shelters and a small open-air pierrot pavilion at the seaward end.

72. ST. ANNES in the 1880's photographed from the railway bridge looking inland towards St. Arme's Church, showing one or two large properties on either side of St. Anne's Road East and (right) 'Willowbank', St. David's Road South (now turned into shops). In the sandy depression to the right of the white railings where the tall shop properties of North Crescent were later built, the youthful settlers of the new town of St. Annes once played a rough game of football. The property (left) stands at the corner of St. David's Road North.

73. ST. ANNES in the early 1890's showing the properties then in existence, the spire of the Wesleyan Church opened in 1892, the Lifeboat Monument but no Promenade gardens, a solitary shelter and a row of bathing vans drawn up on the shingle and one or two donkeys waiting for customers.

74. ST. ANNES, THE PROMENADE LOOKING NORTH from Eastbank: Road corner to the Lifeboat Monument, the original Pierhead building, and the shelter at the Pier approach, before the laying out of the gardens or the appearance of the present Town Hall or the famous, and now vanished, Majestic Hotel,

75. ST. ANNES, THE PROMENADE from a slightly different angle, showing (extreme left) the {me Porritt properties built of Helmshore stone and yellow brick on North Promenade in the 1890┬Ěs. Some have been demolished since the Second World War and replaced by modern luxury flats but originally they were mostly privately occupied by wealthy Lancashire cotton magnates, titled folk and gentry who kept private horse-drawn carriages and a substantial number of domestic servants. One such carriage can be seen (centre).

76. THE LIFEBOAT MONUMENT in the 1890's, before the Band-stand had been built, with the Pierhead (left) and the flag-mast (right) on the corner site later to be occupied by the Majestic Hotel.

77. THE MONUMENT IN CLOSE UP. The moving memorial to thirteen heroic members of the Lifeboat 'Laura Janet' who perished in the Ribbie estuary on the night of 9th December 1886 along with fourteen lifeboatmen from the 'Eliza Fearnley' of Southport records their names for posterity to honour. The Monument was erected by public subscription in memory of: William Johnson (Coxswain), Charles Tims (Sub-Coxswain), Oliver Hodson (Bowman), Thomas Bonney, James Bonney, Nicholas Parkinson, James M. Dobson, James Johnson (the Coxswain's brother), Richard Fisher (the last male in the family, the others having already drowned off the Fylde coast), John P. Wignall Ca young Lytham man and a new member of the crew; he paid the cab-driver double fare to race through to St. Annes and arrived just in time to take his place at the oars), Thomas Parkinson, James Harrison and Reuben Tirns (brother of the Sub-Coxswain). This, the greatest disaster in the history of the R.N.L.I., shocked the English speaking world from whom !30,OOO came in voluntary contributions within a fortnight, and more later.

78. ST. ANNES, NORTH PROMENADE IN THE 1890's. Characteristic 'Porritt' houses (built by a wealthy cotton man from the Rossendale Valley area of Lancashire, of East Lancashire stone and yellow brick). These properties, designed for the upper and wealthy classes, were solidly constructed, with deep skirting boards and 'enough tirnber in the roofs to buiki battle-ships', so it was clairned. The highest tribute that could be paid to a man in those days was that he was 'as sound as a Porritt house'. W.J. Porritt, a bearded patriarch whose wealth was derived from cotton, arrived in St. Annes circa 1890 and proceeded to sink !~m. in elegant property building in the new town, giving a distinctive air to the Promenade, Clifton Drive North, St. George's Road and St. George's Square. Many of these properties have since been converted into hotels, flats, rest homes, etc., while the outbuildings, coach-houses, stables, etc., from the great days of Victorian and Edwardian affluence, have been adapted for human occupation.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek