Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Kathleen Eyre
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2185-9
Pagina's
:   120
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lytham-St. Annes in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

79. ST. ANNES, thejunction of St. Annes Road West (leading to the Square) and the Promenades (north and south). St. George's Road properties with yellow brick gable-ends can be seen (left) before the building of the Conservative Club. Hydro Terrace with shrubberies at the front (now the principal shopping thoroughfare in St. Annes) stretches inland on the left of The Square. The present Town Hall plot (right) is still undeveloped and the property (extreme right), which became the Chaseley Hotel, has been annexed to Fylde Borough Authority's Town Hall and offices.

80. ST. ANNES HOTEL, the first building erected by the new Company promoting the resort. The inaugural sod was cut in February 1875; the foundation stone was laid on 31st March 1875 by a seven-year old schoolboy, the late Squire John Talbot Clifton, at one time one of the largest landowners in the Kingdom, yachtsman, explorer, poet, socialite, sportsman and benefactor. In the early years, when the fitst tee of the St. Annes Golf Club (now the Royal Lytham-St, Annes) was situated near the railway station close to the St. Annes Hotel, a 'Golf Room', set aside for the purpose, served as Club Headquarters.

81. ST. ANNES, HYDRa TERRACE WITH FRONT GARDENS, PRIVATEL Y OCCUPIED in the 1890's, now transformed into high class shops, cafés, offices, etc. Garden Street shoots off to the right towards the St. George's Road entrance to St. George's (later Ashton) Gardens from the corner occupied by Godden, Draper, B. Nutter, Provision Dealer and a greengrocer's adjoining.

1

- 82. ST. ANNES, THE WESLEYAN CHAPEL on Clifton Drive (next to present G.P.O.) on the corner of Eastbank Road leading to the old Lifeboat-house, before the opposite corner had been developed. The Wesleyans were the first denomination to establish a place of worship in the new town of St. Annes, erecting first a small Sunday School-Chapel (masked by the building pictured here) in 1877 and completing a full-scale church building project by 1892.

83. ST. ANNES circa 1890 looking south-east from St. Patrick's Road North area to St. Arme's Chapel of Ease (attached to St. Cuthbert's Parish Church, Lytharn) built for the local farmers and fishermen at the then undeveloped end of Lytham Parish in 1873. The Squire, Col. J.T. Clifton, donated the land and his wife, Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, provided the money for the building of this chapel with a small spire, Vicarage (left) and St. Annes Road East properties (right),

84. ST. ANNES in 1885. Looking towards the sea and the tiny original pierhead building (centre), with Chaseley (left), the rear of Montauban Preparatory School (extreme left) and beyond the railed plot in the foreground the junction of Garden Street and St. Annes Road West (The Square). The properties on extreme right now occupied by J.R. Taylor and the Midland Bank. The property on the opposite corner is seen prior to shop development and befere the construction of Hydro Terrace, now the most important shopping area in the town.

85. ST. ANNES, SOUTH PROMENADE AND THE JUNCnON OF EASTBANK ROAD, circa 1893 after the completion of the Wesleyan Church on Clifton Drive (Eastbank Road corner), and before the erection of the iron drinking fountain. The grey stone and yellow brick properties (left) have not substantially changed but those on the right have been modernised, extended and rendered. Note (extreme right) the rear view of Kilgrimol School with its name prominently displayed on the outbuilding. In Eastbank Road (centre), between the dark brick building and the Church, notice the Lifeboat House established by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution in 1879. The Station was operative until 1925. In the old 'pull and sail' days, farmers' horses were commandeered to drag the lifeboat up Eastbank Road, across the Promenade and down a stone slade on to the soft sand, assisted by able-bodied residents, all of whom turned out when the maroons were fired. The crews were always composed of volunteers from the local fishing fraternity whose families, much intermarried, were doubly and trebly hit by disaster. Many a heroic rescue was performed by 'sand-grown'uns' who set out from the quaint little building with the Tudor-style timbering. It still exists, preserved by the Church next door.

Ormp-t:oà Borne- St. Ännes-ort-Sea.

86. ST. ANNES, THE ORMEROD CONVALESCENT HOME, built among the sand-dunes bordering Clifton Drive North and opened in 1890 by The Colonel's widow, Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, still functions and provides a home for fifty-four handicapped children in 1982 though there are prospeets of a move shortly in view of heavy maintenance costs now running at no ,000 per annum.

Interior of Play Room, Ormerod Home.

87. ORMEROD HOME, ST. ANNES, some of the young guests in the P1ay Room early this century (postcard despatched 1905).

88. ST. ANNE'S PARISH CHURCH in the late 1890's with its tower added in 1890 and some of the earliest headstones,

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek