Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Came
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3224-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9. This was what the east front of Beeleigh Abbey looked like cl900. Until 1920 the Abbey was owned by the Baker family of Hockley. The building remained in a rather dilapidated state until in 1912 a lease was granted to Captain F.W. Grantham who set about restoring the Abbey and to erect a range of domestic buildings. This scheme was entrusted to Mr. Basil Ionides under whose supervision the work was syrnpathetically carried out. In 1920 the Abbey and its immediate surroundings were sold to Jessie Harriette, wife of Richard Edwin Thomas, and in 1943 the property came into the hands of MI. W. Foyle.

Beeleigh Abbey, MALDON.

10. Beeleigh Abbey cl90S. This was founded for Premonstratensian monks by Robert Mantell, Lord of the Manor of Little Maldon, in l1S0. These white rnonks, so called because oftheir white habits, were puritans among the canons regular. They lived as communities of priests observing a discipline and living a common life. Beeleigh Abbey was dissolved in 1536 and in 1540 the Abbey and much of its land was sold to Sir John Gate of High Easter for t300. All that remained of the Abbey was the east wing of the cloister containing the Chapter House and Calefactory or warming house. The tirnbered wing, right, was added after the Reformation and the wing, left, was fashioned out of the remains of the Abbey. The buildings, extreme left, undoubtedly mark the site of the west cloister range. The Abbéy's water supply would have been as shown; the water from a spring in Beeleigh Fields.

Lion Avenue, Maldon.

11. As you pass through a five bar gate into the grounds of Beeleigh Falls House a Gothic cottage is passed on your right. Alrnost immediately opposite the cottage stood a remarkable elm which had developed an excrescence resembling that of the head of a lion. This was referred to as the 'Lion Tree' hence the name Lion Avenue was given to this beautiful tree lined walk which was an appropriate access to the local beauty spot of Beeleigh. This view of c1910 shows the Lion Tree and the weil trimmed avenue. Foilowing the First World War the tree was decapitated at a point immediately above the head and was finaily removed c1934. At the turn of the century this property, Beeleigh Falls House, was owned by Henry Ward, Esquire, a Justice of the Peace of the Borough, whose father had taken over Beeleigh Mill in 1834. In 1835 and 1836 Beeleigh had its own cricket team.

12. This mill at Beeleigh, built in 1797, was on the site of yet older mills going back to Domesday. Arthur Young, Secretary of the Board of Agriculture, waxed eloquently about this mill. The wheel is twenty four feet in diameter ... all the barges come under the mill for loading and unloading, the sacks drawn up or let down with great expedition and all machinery anä contrivances for abridging labour appear to be disposed to much perfection. The residence, cottages and the environs form a picturesque and very agreeable scenery. In 1845 a Wentworth Beam engine was installed in the building, left, with the tall chimney. When the mill was burned down on 12 March 1875, it had 17 pairs of stones, 12 of them worked by water. Only the lower walls and the barge loading bays of the water mill remain and even the head water, shown here, was filled in during the 1960s.

13. Beeleigh Weir and Lock c1905. Although this area of water is not actually in Maldon, Beeleigh has been frequented by Maldonians for afternoon walks and rambles from mid-Victorian times onwards. The area of water shown here is an artificial cut, made for the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation in 1793, which linked together those two rivers. Contained within the cut is Beeleigh Loek which enables barges to make an aseent or descent of 5 feet 10 inches. On the left is Beeleigh Weir which took the excess waters of the River Blackwater that flowed in from the right, yet retained sufficient depth of water for barges to pass to and from Heybridge Basin. The rustic structure across the weir, to accommodate the horses pulling the barges, constructed in cl793 and greatly repaired in 1842, was swept away in the winter floods of 1947.

14. The tide creeps in silently to this pool at the base of Beeleigh Falls thirteen miles or more from the open sea. Hope Moncrieff, 1909, wrote that one comes 'to a pretry spot where the Chelmer rushes into the Blackwater by 'falls' that if not rivalling Niagara, seem as unique in Essex as the triangular spire (sic) of Maldon is in England'. Indeed until the 1960s when self aeting weirs were added to prevent flooding this 13 foot fall of water was a spectacular sight during flood time. The falls taak all the excess water from the Chelmer that was not required by Beeleigh Mill. Even here in this photograph of c1904 the extensive frost has not absolutely stopped the force of the water.

l.odg« Road Maldon.

15. Lodge Road was a fashionable, but very private road that was developed during the late Victorian and the Edwardian period and numbers 6 and 8 were already built by 1895. This road ran to a house called 'The Lodge' which had been built in 1807 and used as a barracks. Later it was converted into a house. Eventually houses were built along this road on the very edge of what was then the built up area of Maldon. The houses occupied one of the best prospects in Maldon with spectacular views over towards Beeleigh and to the heights of Wiekham Bishops. By 1902 Perey Munro Beaumont, civil engineer, architect and snrveyor, was living at Danescroft and by 1908 Reverend Thomas Alexander, Congregational Minister, was living at Number 10 which was finally purchased as The Manse on 5 April 1933. Miss Marion Bradbury was keeping a Preparatory School at Number 2 and by 1922 Mr. Sydney Isaaes was running a boys' school at Numbers 6 and 8.

- .. -~

.' .c;-:'.~ . __ . ~ ~ .?.

sratn

r

Lor ion Road JI UI r

16. Maldon Grammar School hadseveral 'homes' in the town. This one in London Raad, shown left, was the penultimate and was occupied by the 1880s. School was held in a small, damp, cold room behind the house. Reverend Thomas Layton Pearson was master and he coupled this post with that of chaplain to the Union. During his mastership Reverend Pearson became crippled with rheumatism but continued as chaplain to the Union after his retirement. By 1895, when Reverend Ryland was appointed, there were only five boys and the school was sa badly equipped 'that when artificiallight was required the pupils had to bring a candle and balance it upon their desks' (W. Petchey). Reverend Ryland did wonders for the school and within two years of his appointment the roll had increased to 42. Reverend Ryland resigned a year before the new school was opened in Fambridge Road in 1907. On the right can be seen the gable of the National (Co of E.) Schools, opened in 1847, which had cast !l,500 to build.

17. Long before the turn of the century the Maldon Borough Fire Brigade had been established in London Road at the premises shown here c190S with the glass doors to the street and the look out tower on the roof. This is where the steam and manual fire engines and fire escape were kept. In the event of fire the hour bell at the Moot Hall served the purpose as a fire alarm, but after c1909 the firemen were alerted by a telephone system. The fire alarm having been given the first fireman on duty had to go to Mr. Orth at 2 Spital Road, to fetch the horses. In 1890 J.W. Hawkes was the Captain and he had a full time occupation as a plumber and he lived at 28 High Street, but by 1899 he was resident on the spot at 20 Loridon Road, and so were his successors. The Town's Museum was once housed in a room above the Fire Station. In the distance right, is Maldon Grammar School. This end of the weather boarded cottages was occupied by Mr. Henry Balls, tailor.

18. This view shows the High Streef c190S. The researches of DL W. Petchey have now made us more aware of the reasons behind the widening of the High Street at this point. The original Moot Hall was the building here occupied by Dibben and Son; on the right in front of All Saints' Church is shown the row of shops pulled down in 1917. This row extended even further west, but three shops were bumed down in 1858. Originally a narrow row of shops stood in the middle of the street and stretched from the King's Head to Silver Street. It was the Shambles or Butchers' Row which was pulled down in 1639. The narrow street to its right was the Mercers' Lane and that to its left was the Corn Market. The 'Garage' shown left must have been one of the earliest in Maldon. In 1906 it was advertised as 'Bates Cycle and Motor Works, cycle manufacturers'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek