Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Came
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3224-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

All Saints' Church, Maldon.

owers. Ltd., 1aldon.

19. All Saints' Church, cl900. lts thirteenth century triangular tower and hexagonal spire are unique. This south side of the church is now open to the High Street. The western half of this aisle was built c1330 and is one of the best examples of early fourteenth centuryarchitecture in Essex. Then in the mid-fifteenth century Sir Robert D'Arcy added three bays to the east to accommodate his chantry where priests said masses for the souls of his family, Alterations were made to this elevation with the provision of statues for the niches in 1907 and the square headed door was replaced with one of Gothic design in 1920. lt was presented by the late Miss Warren and designed by Wykeharu Chancellor, MA. Lawrence Washington, the great-great-grandfather of George Washington, was buried in this churchyard on 21 January 1652. A new 'Washington window', to the right of the door, was presenred in 1928 by the citizens of Malden, Massachusetts.

20. The halllike appearance was given to All Saints in 1728 when the north aisle and nave were merged to form a large preaching space. That is why the two prominent eastern arches are of classical appearance. This photograph of cl920 shows many of the alterations made in the Victorian and Edwardian periods. The eagle lectern was presented by the Maldon Freemasons in 1866. The pulpit was erected in 1867 and originally stood on the north side of the chancel, but was moved to this position in 1903. In 1905 the mediaeval rood loft staircase was discovered above the hyrnn board. The chancel screens, north and south, were erected in 1906 to the designs of P.M. Beaumont, architect, and carved by S. Marshall of Coggeshall. They also did the choir stalls and hymn boards. The Victorian font has a cover inscribed: The gift of the Sunday Catechism, A.D. 1902.

21. All Saints' Vicarage. This attraetive house was probably built under the will of Sir Robert D'Arey (1385-1448) to house the priests who sung masses for the souls of the D'Arcy family, and others, in his newly founded Chantry Chapel in All Saints' Church. The house was altered in the seventeenth century when the centre roof was raised to the level of the two gables. Reverend Edward Russell Horwood. MA, was vicar here from 1850 to 1901. He was most influential in the Borough as a Magistrate, Plume Librarian, Member of the Burial Board and Board of Guardians, an Income and Land Tax Commissioner and was president of the golf, cricket, lawn tennis and rowing clubs and Philharmonie Society. He also presided over the Easter Dinners, attended by Townsmen of all denominations, for 49 years. An altogether eeumenical outlook for a high churchman of those days. Reverend Horwood was followed by Reverend A. Wilson, MA, in 1901 and in 1903 by Reverend Leonard Hughes, MA, BD, who wrote an excellent guide to All Saints' Church in 1909.

HIGH STREET. MALD·,)N

22. The cottages whicn hide the soutn aiste from the street are obvious encroachments and their removal is a consummation devoutly to he wished, so wrote Reverend Leonard Hughes, vicar of All Saints, in 1909. Their removal was achieved in 1917. This row formerly extended even further west, but three shops were burned down in 1858. From left to right the shops down as far as the Moot Hall formed an interesting assemblage of businesses cl907. Victor Brock, confectioner, occupied 27; Spurgeon and Son, auctioneers, valuers and estate agents with John Elgar Bonner, dentist and artificial teeth maker, above, at 29; Lewis Volta, confectioner and ice cream maker, at 31 and Arthur French, fishmonger, at 33. Beyend Church Walk the shops were occupied as follows; The London Centra! Meat Company Ltd.i-with John Guiver, insurance agent, above, at 35; Richard PooIe, printer, bookseller and stationer, at 37; and Wade Brothers, butchers, at 39. These shops certainly gave the Market Place confinement and a rather quaint air.

23. Maldon War Memorial was dedicated on Sunday 8 May 1921, when the Market Square and High Street were thronged with people and All Saints' bells rang out a muffled peal. The memorialof Portland Stone, bearing 146 names, was designed by Wykeham Chancellor, MA, and was carved and erected by Wray and Fuller of Chelmsford. Here General Horne is speaking after the unveiling ceremony. To his left is the Mace Bearer; the Mayor, Councillor H.W. Sadd, JP; the Town Clerk; and the Bishop of Barking who dedicated the memorial. To General Horne's right is Reverend 1.1. Seymour, vicar of All Saints. Over 300 ex-servicemen, under the command of Admiral Kennedy, and the Scouts formed a cordon around the memorial. In front of General Horne are many dignitaries including the Mayor and Mayoress of Chelmsford; the Mayor and Mayoross of Colchester; Sir Fortescue and Lady Flannery ; Sir Claude and Lady de Crespigney; General Sir S.W. Hare; General Da Costa; and many others.

High Street, Maldon.

24. The Moot Hall was built early in the fifteenth century by Sir Robert D'Arcy. It became the property of the Borough in 1576 when it was bought for iSS from Thomas Eve, alderman and linen draper. lts present front elevation and portico (rails added to this C19ÜS) are the result of a restoration of c181!. Until c1914 part of the ground floor was the police station, complete with prison cells. The first floor was a court, a reminder that Maldon once held its own Quarter Sessions and ether courts. The Borough Counci1 met until 1974 in the room above the clock. In 1884 the building received a considerable shock from the Essex earthquake. Head Constabie Wombwell and PC Parrott were so alarmed by a great crash at the back of the building that they thought the whole place was falling about their ears and ran into the High Street only to see hosts of other people there also. The crash was caused by the violent colliding of the weights of the town doek.

25. This part ofthe clock is not easily seen from the street. George Courtauld, the last MP forthe Borough, presented both a public clock and chimes in 1881. The work was carried out by Gillett and Bland of Croydon. The chime comprises four beils: the heaviest weighing nearly 6% hundredweight and the lightest over 2% hundredweight. The hour bell weighs just over 7'12 hundredweight. The mus ie of the chimes was composed by Dr. Crotch and comprises a phrase from the fifth bar in the opening symphony of Handel's air 'I know that my Redeemer liveth' . The clock was started on Thursday 20 October 1881, by the Mayor, Mr. J.G. Sadd , and its donor expressed the wish th at as the clock's hours pass by ... they will find this borough still in the enjoyment ofits prosperity and may [ind the inhabitants of this borough still in the enjoyment ofthe happiness, peace and comfort whicb I am sure they all deserve!

26. A large number of people had gathered in the High Street to witness this solemn procession which had assembied at 12.45 p.m. at the Moot Hall prior to a service at All Saints for the funeral of King Edward VII on 20 May 1910. The procession comprised the Police, the Town Band playing the 'Dead March in Saul', The Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Aldermen, Magistrates, Councillors, Borough Officials, Fire Brigade and Territorials, led by the Mace Bearer draped in black crepe. The service was equally fitted to the occasion commencing with the hymn 'When our heads are bow'd with woe'. During the morning the bells of All Saints had rung out a solemn deep muffled 2% hour peal of 5,040 changes. The ringers were: W. Chalk, senior, A. Mansfield, W.G. Mansfield, A. Gozzett, H.I. Mansfield (conductor) and T. Chalk. Also shown here is the row of five shops, demolished in 1917, with Mr. Volta's fIag flying at half mast.

27. The King's Head dates from the early sixteenth century when it comprised a cross wing on the left and a large two storey open hall in the centre. It was altered in the eighteenth century when the 'hall' was divided horizontally and a new cross wing built on the right. At this time the who1e of the front was bricked and refenestrated. It was owned by Jonas and Rachel Malden and in 1744 they sold it to Joseph Pattisson. In 1732 it is described as a large and commodious House with Stables, Coach House ... situated in the best part of the town. During the building of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation, 1793-1797, John Rennie, FRS, the famous Canal engineer, stayed here the few times he visited the site. In 1900 the hotel was owned by Mr. J.H. Taylor who was 'a good host' and excellent caterer. Guests were met from the station by the carriage shown, The hotel was the meeting place of the Maldon Cycle Club.

High Street, Maldon.

28. Cows in Maldon High Street c1900. Cows were milked in one of the High Street yards, perhaps at Alfred Lucking's, he was a farmer and cattle dealer at No 100, and then driven out to fields in London Raad and Spital Raad. The Chequers, right, kept by Elijah Young is advertising 'The Colchester Brewing Co's Fine Old Ales'. Beyend Friar's Lane is a draper's shop, No 62, kept by Alfred Bailey and later taken over by Alfred Hardy-King and Company. The next shop No 64 was that of Arthur Heaver, chemist and druggist, later Alfred Appleby, bootmaker; No 66 was later occupied by Thomas Turner, clothier; No 68 by Caleb and Samuel Finch, watchmakers, and No 70 by Alfred Clear, auctioneer, valuer and estate agent, and was later the residence of Dr. Henry Reynolds Brown. The Swan in the background, left, had not been refronted when this view was taken.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek