Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Came
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3224-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29. 'The thousands of spectators who witnessed the burning pile will never forget the sight' of the fire on the night of Sunday 17 January 1892. The fire started beneath a staircase in Orttewell's ironmongers and spread up the High Street to Martison's. bootmakers, the Misses Thompson, dressmakers, and Mr. Frederick Green's. The fire also spread down the High Street to Mrs. Andrews, jewellers, to Mr. Rudkin, tobacconist, and Mr. Fuller, boetmaker. MI. Archer's draper's shop on the corner was saved but two shops on Market Hill owned by Mr. Croft, tailor, and Mr. Hayes, wine and spirit merchant, sustained damage. Most of the shops were rebuilt in either 1892 or 1893 but two sites were left vacant as is shown here and the 'new' Post Office was slotred into this space cl9Û7. During the fire the Post Office, then on the opposite side of the street, and other shops 'were much scorched and blistered and some panes of glass broken by the heat'.

30. The Bate Cycle Company Limited c1900. Thomas Bate, standing outside rus shop on Market Hili, started making cycles in the late 1870s at bis Eureka Works in Spital Road. He left Maldon but returned to take up this site. His advertisement makes interesting reading. The Company invite inspeetion by a critical public of their superb specimens of Cycle Construction; a variety of models to suit the tourist of either sex who desires class and comfort or the speed man who yearns to break records or to win prizes, but one quality only; the Best 'BATES UNIQUE' CYCLES. His advertisment continues Riding taught by competent Instructors. We keep a Zarge stock of Reliable Cycles to LET or HIRE. The shop next door was then kept by Thomas Hayes, Railway Receiving Office, who was a wholesale wine and spirit merchant; he later moved from 3 to 11 Market Hili.

31. In the middle ages this part of Market Hill, photographed cl920, was called St. Peter's Lane (W. Petchey). Perey Daniels' draper's shop on the extreme left was rebuilt after a fire of 1882. The Maldon Cycle Company (originally The Bate Cycle Company) manifested its trade by the huge 'penny' wheel projeeting from its gable. The next shop was once a butchers kept by Mr. Farley. The next two shops were pulled down to make way for the Jubilee Hall c1923 and the next shop with its first floor bay was kept by William Hayes, wine and spirit merchant. That brings us to the corner of Bull Lane; on the other side of this lane is shown a large, square, three storey building that was owned by the Maldon and Heybridge Co-operative Society which was selling all sorts of groceries, boots, shoes and drapery. The wall of St. Peter's churchyard, right, was set back 13 feet 6 inches in 1926 because it was an obstruction to traffic.

32. St. Peter's Church had become redundant in the middle ages and by 1665 the nave had collapsed. Interest in this site was shown by Dr. Thomas Plume who had been bom in Maldon in 1630 and educated at Chelmsford Grammar School and Christ's College, Cambridge. In 1658 he was appointed vicar of Greenwhich and in 1679 he became Archdeacon of Roehester an office he held until his death in 1704. Before his death, however, Dr. Plume had erected a red brick building on the site of the old nave c1699 to house a library upstairs and a school downstairs. Moreover, he restored the oid mediaeval tower of St. Peter's. Unfortunately, by cl900 the tower had become so unsafe at the top that it had to have a band put around it as shown here to hold it together. In 1930 when Mr. E.T. Baker, lP, was Chairman of the Plume Trustees, the tower was restored by Mr. Frank Sherling, a local builder.

33. The interior of The Plume Library before 1925. The Library was originally built five bays long but it was extended another two bays in 1817 when the National School was founded and occupied the ground floor. The Grammar School was ousted, but returned in the 1850s to occupy the end of the Library for a few years. This shows well some of the enormous bookshelves made, before Dr. Plume died, to accommodate the 7,000 or so volumes which he willed to his native town. In modern terms of subject matter they inc1ude several main categories from Mathematics to Theology and from Medicine to Classical Languages. In age the volumes range from late fifteenth century to 1704. As Dr. Petchey has pointed out this library was not so much Dr. Plume's personal working collection (though his volumes are inc1uded) but an attempt at a general reference library. The gas mantle was replaced with electricity in 1925 and the rnarble fire surround with wood in 1927.

)'r1aloon.

eong'~gational ehurch.

34. This Congregational Church was erected between 1800 and 1801 on the site of a previous church. It was opened in July 1801, by the then pastor Mr. Foster and had cast about f3,000. It was given a new front cl860. At the turn of the century its pastor was Reverend H. Herman Carlisle, MA. It was he who erected new buildings adjoining the old British Schools (part shown left) which comprised classrooms for day and Sunday Schools and a spacious Lecture Hall all casting f2,000. The church had seats for 950 people and in 1899 there were two services on Sunday and one on Thursday. The British Schools closed when the Wantz Raad Schools opened in 1911. The nineteenth and early twentieth century graveyard monuments to the north of the church are very interesting and indicate the close links between business and Nonconformity in the Maldon area. The conspicious tomb in the foreground probably belongs to the Bourne family of Mundon and was removed c1965.

)r1a/don. J{ill J{ouse.

35. This magnificent piece of architecture, Hili House, with its prominent belvedere, was built by the Sadd family in the early nineteenth century. By the 1880s it was occupied by Alfred Granger Sadd (1829-1902), a director of John Sadd and Sons Limited, timber importers and builders' merchants and one of the leading firms in Maldon. From the early part of this century Hili House was occupied by Miss Henrietta Sadd (1863-1932) who founded the 'Home of Rest for Young Women' which was housed in the weather boarded house shown on the left. This home, and another owned by Miss Sadd in Wantz Road, was set aside for women who could not otherwise afford a holiday or who were convalescing from an illness such as tuberculosis. Some of the employees of Bryant and May's Match Works stayed here. Hili House was left to the Borough of Maldon and in 1937 it became the Municipal Offices of the town. In 1974 it was taken over by the new Maldon District Council and in 1985 it was up for sale.

36. In the middle ages this part of the hill was cailed Fullbridge Street (W. Petchey), Being the only conneetion bet ween the north of the river and the town it was weil used. A number of shops and houses, right, are of mediaeval or later date. The first is advertising 'Lyons Tea' and the shop below with a sign was Blaxall's, the butcher. Hillside, left, was built as the Union Workhouse cl836 but ceased to serve that function with the opening of the Maldon Union Workhouse (St. Peter's Hospital) in 1873. It was then divided into tenements and for twenty years or more down to 1914 part ofit was a girls' school kept by Miss Kate Cromar. Notice the gravel surfaced raad c19D5 and the elegant looking lady pushing her cycle down the hill probably, because, as Fitch had commented, in cl895 that this hill was 'one of the most dangerous for bicyclists in the country'.

)yra/oon.

qi/l Siàe,

37. Market Hili, pre-1905. The iron bridge across the River Chelmer was built in 1877 for fA,OOO and rebuilt in 1961. On the left going up the hili were the following properties: Rutt Gutteridge and Company corn, coal and lime merchants; Joseph Gripper, ironmonger; a furniture shop; James Crowe, fruiterer; The Customs House; Brown the butcher; and Argent the fruiterer. Beyend the boarded cottages on the right was F. Luckin Smith, grocer at 49 and then The Ship Inn advertising 'Salt's Burton Ales' and 'Good Stabling'. It was at this inn that those gentlemen who were not engaged in the game of cricket on Potman Marsh ' ... staid at the Ship smok'd their pipes and played a game of cards' in the 1780s. The fourth shop down on the left was kept by Robert Blaxall, butcher and one tirne Borough Councillor.

38. This is the tidal River Chelmer from Fullbridge c1910. On the left a barge is drawn up at Mr. E.T. Baker's roller mill where wheat was ground into flour for the London mark et. This building was put up in 1878 by Bentall Bros. as a nut and bolt factory. The white building, left, is on Rayleigh Wharf, so cal1ed because it was owned by the Strutt family, MPs for Maldon, who later took the title of Rayleigh. Samuel Garrett who had been at Hoe Mill since c1865 built a new steam roller mill here c1895 where it was much easier to import wheat and barge sacks of flour to the London market. In the distance, left, can be seen the wharfs and sheds of John Sadd and Sons, Ltd., English and foreign timber and builders' merchants. On the right is Fullbridge Wharf where Rutt, Gutteridge and Co, Ltd., corn, coal and seed merchants, had a time kiln.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek