Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Came
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3224-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

.,

~:~

:(,

, .

. . "".

. ~ :". -

-. L·

Fullbridge Street, Maldon .

39. Fullbridge looking towards the bridge c1906. The large house here, known as Rivercourt, was obviously an old building which had been refronted sometime in the eighteenth century. This house was occupied by Miss Henderson in 1912, but during the First World War it was commandeered and was used by the Red Cross for troops who were convalescing. Following the war Rivercourt was occupied by Miss Short who took in boarders from the Grammar School. The building, extreme left, was the Welcome Sailor kept by Alfred Crabbe and next door, with a large lamp outside, was the White Hart kept in 1912 by George Sewell, Also in that year Arthur Dykes, earthenware dealer, occupied the house this side of the White Hart.

40. Maldon East Station must have been one of the fmest railway stations in the whole country. It was built in 1848 as part of the Maldon, Witham and Braintree Railway in the Jacobean style in red and white brick. Maldon owes its oppulent station to Mr. David Waddington, an Eastern Counties Director, who was candidate for the Borough; bis employees, called 'guinea pigs', had to be kept in residence much longer than anticipated in order to increase Mr. Waddington's chances of election as the Borough's Liberal MP. In the 1890s Liverpool Street, 44 miles, could be reached for l l s and 3s 3%d first and third class returns respectively, There were eight trains on weekdays and three on Sundays via Witham. The King's Head carriage is waiting for the arrival of a train to take guests to Maldon in this view of c1910.

41. Maldon East Station must have been a busy place when this photograph was taken c1911. It was necessary to keep ample staff to deal with the eight passengers trains a day and also to deal with the goods that came to the station for despatch to London. The principal trade was in vegetables and other agricultural produce, such as blackcurrants, for Stratford Market, which is mentioned on a poster in the background. The characters in this photograph from left to right are, back row: Unknown, counter hand for Smith's baak stall; Mr. Boreharn, porter; F.W. Pyke , signalman; Fred Bowles, horse and cart delivery; Bob Kettle , passenger guard; and man standing, Unknown, was the booking clerk. In the front row: Ernest Bowles, signalman from 1935 to 1949; Unknown, relief signalman; Frederick Blyth, station master; Adam Eve, porter; Unknown, relief signalman; and Alfred Alders, shunter. (Characters have been identified by Mr. F. Pyke, aged 90.) All activities at the station ceased after the closure of the line to Witham in 1966. The station building has now been turned into the Great Eastern Motel and public house.

#, .

...-..,.~ .. -/ ~_.

-

--

42. This view of the High Street cl912 shows Church House, extreme left, which was the home of Edward Bright who died in 1750 at the age of 29 and weighed 44 stones. This house was occupied at the turn of the century by the Bentall family, drapers in the town, and by 1912 it had come into the hands of Leonard Bentall who was Mayor of the Borough in 1890 and 1895. The row of three shops, with their blinds, belonged to the Hicks family. Lewis D. Hicks occupied the first two with his ironmongery and cycle agents businesses. The last of the three shops was owned by Charles H. Hicks who was a corn merchant and seedsman. The tricycle ridden by the boy is owned by Hicks. The Swan, an ancient house refronted, was occupied in 1899 by William Head and in 1912 by Henry Charles William Conn. The bow windowed house, extreme right, was occupied by Dr. Henry Reynolds Brown, surgeon and medical officer of health to the Corporation.

43. This is the lower part of the High Street c1914. At the end of the row of shops, left, can be seen the gable and canopy ofThe Hippodrome Picture Palace. This was opened c1910 and in 1911 it was advertising a 'Splendid Series of Incomparable Electric Pictures changed every Monday and Thursday' and commencing 11 December was the following with comments in brackets: 'Carmenita, The Faithful (splendid drama); Beaux Not Wanted (funny); Mystery of the Lonely Gulch (thrilling); A ChiId's Judgement (very pathetic); The Regeneration (a fine drama); The Act of Paying One's Debts (roars).' Seats 4d, 6d or 9d, children half price. Between the left hand edge of this view and the cinema in 1912 there were shops purveying the following goods or services: a hair dresser, a fruiterer, a draper and an oiIman.

High Street Maldon

rfû~o...>rv<6~ ~ Gowers Ltd. Maldon 354

44. The High Street cl905 shows, left, The Trees and immediately opposite, right, a huge four storey building of cl890 which housed the business of Jeffrey's and Sons, clothiers, 127 High Street, who later took over 129 and 131. The latter had previously been occupied cl900 by George Fineh, pork butcher, and in 133 he also carried on the business of plumber and glazier. The shop next to the church was occupied in 1900 by Samuel Lewin, baker. Methodism fust put down its roots in Maldon in 1753 opposite this church in a house called 'Cat's Castle' which owed its name to an eccentric lady who wanted to own 21 cats but was always thwarted in her quest. In 1824 a smal1 chapel (now the Labour Hall) was built in Church Street. The church shown here was built in 1861 by Thomas King of Maldon to the designs of James Moore of Great Totham at a cost of t973.

45. The Trees, formerly Holly Trees, Hardings, and before that Spencers, stood on the corner of Wantz Road where Kathleen's Kitchen now stands. It was said to have been built in Elizabethan times and was remodelled in the earIy nineteenth century. In the eighteenth century it was occupied by the famous Coe merchant family of the town; in the nineteenth century by George May, surgeon, and then by Mrs. Bell. FIOm 1904 to 1934 it was the home of MI. E.T. Baker (1869-1948) owner of Fullbridge Mill who was churchwarden of All Saints; a Justice of the Peace for both the Borough and the County, a unique position in those days; and Mayor of Maldon on three occasions 1916-1919, 1921-1922 and 1932-1934. When The Trees was pulled down in 1935 its linenfold panelling, which was emblazoned with the mulet, the de Vere star, was sent to America. In the background, right, can be seen the Prirnitive Methodist Church built in 1860 and now used by the Salvation Arrny.

46. Within a quarter of a century of this view of c1905 being taken the Wantz Road corner was to change out of all recognition. The Trees on the corner, left, was pulled down in 1935 and the block of three shops on the opposite corner was gutted by a terrible fire during the night of 14 January 1910. Henry Salt er Nalson occupied the grocer's shop designated F. Wigginton. The next shop, 124 High Street, was kept by MI. C. Parsons, clothier, and 122 High Street was occupied by Mr. William Firmin, butcher. The fire broke out at 2 a.m. in MI. Parson's kitchen and soon spread to the shops either side. Mr. Firmin's four young children, three girls and a boy, had to be rescued from an upstair window with a ladder by a neighbour from across the road. PC Burrows telephoned the Fire Brigade which was soon on the scene with Captain Tydeman and Sub-captain Pannifer in charge. Water had to be obtained fr om Dr. Brown's pond and from Mr. E.T. Baker's pond at The Trees.

· Wantz Road, Maldon.

47. Wantz Road, nearly a half a mile long, was described in c1895 as 'an important thoroughfare'. Indeed, its importance is manifested in the number of businesses, shops and other services in this raad in 1899. It contained a baker, a bootmaker, two beer retailers; a builder; a coal merchant; afruiterer, two grocers (one running a post office), a pork butcher, a plurnber and glazier, a musie seller, five shopkeepers, a steam mill, a tailor, The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, a Methodist Church, the Wantz Brewery, operated by John Hutley, advertising 'Good Sound Hay and Harvest Beers' and four public houses: the Volunteer, the Three Cups, the Star, whose sign can be discerned on the left squeezed between the two taliest blocks of houses, and the Borough Arms, operated by G. Markham, who also manufactured aerated water. This 1905 view was taken about 60 yards north of Dyer's Road.

48. On 30 September 1869, the Essex Baptist Union decided to attempt work in Maldon. In 1870 services were held in the Public Hall and by 1872 the Baptist Congregation had erected a corrugated iron structure in Butt Lane on this site. Severa1 pastors, Mr. Chapman, Mr. Stockdale, MI. Charlton and MI. Ernest Cole all worked hard for the Baptist Movement in Maldon. Reverend F.C. Morris was appointed in September 1892, and through his efforts foundation stones were laid by Leonard Bentall, Mayor; Reverend F.C. Morris; Thomas Sadler; and Alderman Joseph Sadler on 1 July 1896, and the chapel was opened on 25 November 1896. It was designed by Mr. P.M. Beaumont, a loeal architect, and built by A. Baxter and Sen at a cost of f.l,821:10s:7Y2d. School rooms were later added at the rear of the chapel to the designs of Mr. Hoyne, architect, and built by A. Ward and Son of Great Totham at a cast of ;(766:10s. This extension was officially opened in October 1914.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek