Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Came
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3224-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. A Catholic Chapel was erected in 1897 in Victoria Road and dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady. This is the stock brick and slated building, now used as the Church Hall, to the left of the present church, The red brick church with stone dressings was built in 1925 and dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady by the Bishop of Brentwood on 25 October, in that year. Some of the priests that were here earlier this century became well-known. Reverend Adrian Fortescue was a well-known authority on the history of the Greek Church and Father John E. Pettit subsequently became the Bishop of Menevia.

50. Sir Claude de Crespigney, Jl', of Great Totham and Aeronaut Simmons had to abandon their balloon trip on 10 June 1882, because of a disastrous take off when Sir Claude broke his leg in two places, The second attempt was on 1 August 1883, and the enormous balloon was inflated in a field near the Gas Works. The balloon was 75 ft in height and 40 ft in diameter and had a capacity of 37,000 cubic feet of gas. Inflating commenced at 5 a.m. and was completed by 11.30 a.m. The car was fixed and made fast to a tree whilst SOOlbs of ballast in bags was loaded aboard. At 12.30 p.m. Sir Claude and aeronaut Simmons got under way and successfully landed in Holland. AIthough this account does not absolutely complement the postcard, because there are no leaves on the trees, this view does show one of Sir Claude's ballooning exploits and the photograph was undoubtedly taken on The Downs.

l lvth Qua)' .. HaldlJn.

51. The Hythe was owned by the Borough. A map of 1516 shows 'The Townes Coleheape and Chalkheape' and wharfs let to severa1 tenants. This view of c1903 shows the barges being loaded up with hay and straw which was needed for the horse population of London. These barges were loaded very high above the deck line and were referred to as 'stackies', Locally this barge service to London River was known as 'Hay up and dung down' because the barges returned with London horse muck for spreading on the heavy clay lands adjacent to the banks of the Blackwater Estuary. There were several merchants in Maldon involved in this trade such as Hawes and Thompson 'hay and straw dealer'. In the background can be seen the Queen's Head which was kept by Mrs. Sarah Saunders in 1890 and by Robert Archer in 1899.

52. Although this pre-1886 view fails to show it St. Mary's Church was then in a very bad state of repair. The interior of the church was filled with a forest of dilapidated horsebox pews and only the wealthy could afford to have slow combustion stoves in their pews, the smoke pipes of which poked out through the roof. Indeed the roofs themselves were so bad that they had to be supported by internal posts and other contrivances. It is apparent that the south wall of the Norman nave had been shored up with two enormous brick buttresses. During the restoration of 1886-87 the church was closed for more than a year and it was during this restoration that the chancel arch fell and had to be rebuilt. The church was reopened on Tuesday 29 March 1887, when bunting was hung out for the occasion. The restoration had cost !3,OOO.

53. St. Mary's stands conspicuously above the estuary. lts foundation is of Saxon date and it was given to St. Martin-le-Grand, London, by Ingelric in 1056. The church was rebuilt cl130 and the north wall of the nave and parts of the chancel arch date from this period. The tower was built c1300, but in the mid-sixteenth century the enormous striped buttress was enlarged to support an ailing upper storey which eventually collapsed in 1598. There was some urgency to rebuild it as the tower 'was a beacon for the river and -was causing much inconvenience to navigators'. In spite of this injunction rebuilding was not undertaken until c1635. The shingled spire was built c1740. Apart from the tower and spire this elevation dates from 1886-87. Frederick Chancellor was architect for the nave, aisle and vestry and Ewan Christian architect for the chance!. Henry Gozzett was the builder.

P.JQfTrenaoe.

j(/a/aon.

2612. 1.

54. As this view demonstrates 26 June 1895, was an important landmark in the provision of recreational facilities in Maldon. This was the day that Maldon was en fete with the opening of the Marine Promenade and Recreation Ground which comprised 14 acres of land laid out with grass, trees and shrubs and costing between fA,OPO and i5,OOO. Every house was decorated for the occasion except for Mr. George Codd's in Silver Street; and as the procession passed his residence the fact that all the blinds were down was made the subject of many jokes; he had not agreed with the scheme, There was a luncheon attended by Mr. George Courtauld, MP, and Mrs. Courtauld and Mr. Cyril Dodd, QC, MP, who observed that 'if young Londoners knew what boating, fishing and bracing air were to be enjoyed at Maldon, Maldon would soon become a London suburb'. The opening was performed by the Mayor and Ioca1 historian, Mr. Edward A. Fiteh, FLA.

55. This photograph was taken on 26 June 1895, the day the Marine Promenade and Recreation Ground were opened. It shows the 'Extension' with a band stand half way along. There was also a men's bathing hut at the end. It shows, too, that there were originally two areas of mud and water: one roughly triangular shaped bathing area belonging to the Bath House in the foreground and an oval shaped area in the background. Beyond the oval a creek ran inland to the right of what is now the Lake as far as the bath house (the white house with four chimney pots) which was then occupied by Benjamin T. Handley who let out rowing boats and bathing machines for river bathing. He also kept 'baths' which were probably those hot and cold salt water baths mentioned in the late eighteenth and several times through the nineteenth century. The barge 'Dawn' is in frame between the Bath House and the Thames barge.

56. Compared with the previous view of the Marine Lake area this view of c1906 shows the alterations that were made with the formation of the Marine Lake in 1905. The triangular cold water bath belonging to Benjamin Handley's Bath House has disappeared and so has the creek. The oval shaped muddy area which existed before 1905 covered nearly 1 % acres but after the formation of the Marine Lake the area of water covered nearly 2% acres. The band stand and the men's bathing hut can easily be seen along the 'Extension'. In addition, the number of boat building sheds has increased and some inhabitants have not given up the idea ofriver bathing as there are still bathing machines standing by.

Ma/don.

57. This shows well the Old Bath Wall before the Marine Lake was formed in 1905. Immediately beyend the first shed the path divided and the left branch went to the Bath House and the ether went past the boat yard to the Hythe Quay. The beach at this point was very busy as a barge building area and the Lord Roberts can be seen in building in Cook and Woodard's Yard c1897. Many other craft are moored in the estuary. In the background centre, can be seen the Queen's Head on the Hythe Quay and the road running up to the Cast1e Inn in North Street. This is really one of the classical views of Maldon with the waterside and St. Mary's conspicuously perched on its hill,

58. The opening of the Marine Lake took place on 23 June 1905. It commenced at the Moot Hall with a procession headed by the Town Band, which included Foresters and Oddfellows, the Vo1unteers, the Borough Fire Brigade and carriages containing invited guests: the Borough Magistrates, the Corporation and Lord and Lady Rayleigh, There was lunch for the guests in a rnarquee where appropriate speeches were made. Lady Rayleigh, who formally opened the Marine Lake by turning the handle of the sluice to let in the water, said: '1 have much pleasure in declaring this beautifullake open.' The Mayor, Lord and Lady Rayleigh and Alderman and Mrs. Fitch then took a trip round the Lake in the Mavor's rowing boat. The construction of the Lake had involved removing 8,000 tons of earth by 35 of the town's unemployed under the supervision of Mr. T.R. Swales, the Borough Engineer. About 9,000 people were present, many of whom had come by rail.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek