Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards

:   Peter Came
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3224-4
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Maldon and Heybridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59. This view of cl908 shows the Bath House which once stood at the head of the creek but subsequently at the end of the Marine Lake. The Corporation paid Benjamin Handley f525 for the Bath Wall property consisting of an extensive open air bathing place enclosed within an embankment: this would have been the roughly triangular area shown in 55. The Bath House was eventually pulled down in the 1930's. This view shows the steep bank of what must have been the edge of the creek here following the path and the new wall running from the Bath House across to the right of the photograph. St. Mary's Church stands poised above the Lake. lts six bells rang out a 2o/4hour muffled peal on 20 May 1910, for the funeral of Edward VII. The ringers taking part were: E. Finch, H. Finch, A. South, F. Chalk, A. Gozzett (conductor) and H.I. Mansfield.




60. The Promenade before The Marine Parade widening extensions in 1925 and the Recreation Ground extensions in 1926. On the right can be seen the band stand which was later replaced by a shelter and by 1922 the band stand stood on the steep slope above the Marine Lake. At the end of the Promenade on the left was the men only bathing shed where there was no charge for changing. A small boat with mainsail aloft isjust about to leave for a trip down the estuary. In the foreground proud parents push their baby aiong the Promenade to benefit from the sunshine and fresh air. With more leisure time increasing nurnbers of day trippers were taking advantage of the Marine Lake and Recreation Ground.

S. S. .Annie- at Landing Stage, Ma!don

61. Early this century Osea Island was bought by Mr. F.N. Charrington, the brewer, where he set up a treatment centre for alcoholies. As part of his plan he bought a smaU steam boat 'S.S. Annie' so that trips could be operated between Maldon and Osea Island where passengers could land or have trips around the Island. Every fortilight there were trips to either BradweU or West Mersea. At one period they ran moonlight trips, accompanied by banjo music, with lanterns hung in the after awning and on fme nights they presented an idyllic picture and were weU patronised by local couples. S.S. Annie operated unti11914 but in 1918 she was refitted with a rnotorised engine and was then operated as the 'Maldon Annie' until c1920 when she was taken to London River. She was involved in the relief of the Dunkirk beaches but did not return.

-Causeway, )fra/don.

62. This Causeway viewed in c1905 from the Heybridge end was actually within St. Peter's Parish, Maldon. lt united Maldon with Heybridge and was considered so important that Edward II ordered a survey of it in 1324. The Causeway cut right across Potman Marsh 'where in the summer season the gentlemen of Maldon associated into a cricket club, and a regular set played the game' from 1750 to the 1840s. Fairs were also held on the Marsh between 25 and 27 March and on 8 September. Apart from a cluster of houses near Fullbridge, only one or two cottages existed on the Causeway until the late nineteenth and the early twentieth century. Some of these newer houses ean be seen together with the lines of trees, which had been planted as an indication of civic pride. On the right ean be seen part of the parapet of the mediaeval bridge rebuilt in 1870.

63. This mill stood at the head of Heybridge Creek but the mill was not tidal; it was driven by the water from the Blackwater. For centuries this mill, like much of Heybridge, was owned by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's Cathedral. In 1792 the mill was operated by Robert Barnard and in the 1820s by T.R. Webb. By the 1830s it was operated by George Gepp Ward who was there until c1885 when it was taken over by Frederick Cocks, an avowed Congregationalist, who was the miller until c1908. It was he who supplemented water with steam power. He was followed by bis brother-in-law Benjamin Frost. The mill was last worked in 1942 and was pulled down in 1954. The rnill looks as though it was built at two separate dates if the roof lines are anything to go by,

f/l1/fff,l//!{ffTt j'-

'lnm'ffmrr' I

, ( 111 ON"

64. Heybridge was en fete in the 1920s with what looks like the Maldon Band leading the procession. In the background right, ean be seen the word 'Ltd' on Bentall's house where the apprentices boarded. Next to it is the Half Moon selling 'Shrimp Brand Beers'. In the centre is the Anchor advertising 'Luncheons and Teas' and left is Mr. Jack Hunter's little wooden building advertising the fact that he was a 'Cycle Engineer, Repairs a Speciality'. In the late 1920s he built a new garage on this site and cl929 he employed a qualified mechanic, MI. Frederick Came, and entered the motor trade. His garage thus beeame a service station selling oil and petrol. On either side of the road is a stone wall: the remains of the mediaeval bridge that crossed the River Blackwater at this point. This bridge was rebuilt in 1870 replacing the five arches with two.

65. Much of pre-eighteenth century Heybridge developed around The Square and westwards along Hoiloway Road. It was not until the coming of the Navigation after 1797 that the centre of gravity of Heybridge changed so that development took place around the church and the hall. Holloway Road was so called because Jeremiah Hoiloway was not only living in this road but was one of the principallandowners in Heybridge in 1815. The cottages on the extreme left were owned by lsaac Belsham and those brick and weather boarded cottages on the right were owned by Daniel Belsham in the mid-nineteenth century. Indeed, until weil into the twentieth century Isaac Belsham and Son, maltsters, coal and oil cake merchants, had wharfs both sides of the road on the Heybridge side of Black Bridge, from where this photograph was taken c1910. The next row of cottages, left, were owned by Jeremiah Holloway and he lived in a house opposite in c1847. Holloway Road developed enormously at the turn of the century.

66. Heybridge Street ct900. Before c1830 there was not a single building on the right hand side of this road. This strip of land alongside Heybridge Creek was all common land. As Heybridge developed so these narrow sites were built on. In the foreground, right, can be seen the premises of the business which in 1894 was operated by George Fuller. He was an agent, as the notice on the wall proclaims, for Daniell and Sons', ale, stout, porter and spirit. Further along was the Post Office. The second half of this row of cottages belonged in 1847 to Walt er Waring and part was occupied by Stephen Bickmore, carpenter. Further along, right, are the 'St Andrew's In Memoriam Schools', built in

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek