Meopham in old picture postcards

Meopham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J. Carley
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3392-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Meopham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. This windmill, built about 1801 by the Killick family from Strood, was the last of at least eight known to have existed in the parish from the 12th century onwards. It is a smock mill, standing on a massive brick base, and is here seen as it was in the early 20th century. At that time it carried two pairs of mill-stones, driven by windpower alone. About 1923 a third pair was added, and a gas engine was provided to supplement the power on days with little or na wind. The mill remained in the ownership of the Killick family until about 1895, when it was sold to the Nortons, another well-known Kentish milling family. That family had it until the last miller, Mr. Leslie Norton. diedin 1967. A trust was then set up to take over and restare the mill from the very derelict condition into which it had declined, and this has been achieved.

Ye olde Windmill. Meoph..am

60. This picture, probably dating from the late 1920's, shows the windmill in a condition of somc dereliction, with two of the sails blown off, and witlr the shutters and the vanes of the fantaiJ all missing. After 1923 the mill was worked by a gas engine which had been brought from a mill at Boughton, ne ar Faversham. The shop, earlier the Meopham Clothing and Boot Stores has become the Meopham Cash Stores, and is c1early now a grocery shop. It remained so until it was demolished a few years ago. The Cricketers is seen in its fairly short-lived garb of trellis-work decoration. The left-hand doorway had been put in, but neither of the porches had been provided. The lamp on the left-hand corner of the house suggests that electricity had been installed. At first fIoor level, on the right-hand section, can be seen the Automobile Association roundelfor Meopham. The lower part gives the information 'Gravesend 6' and a mileage to London, the latter too smal! to read. The roundel was a casualty of the Second World War.

61. This 1908 view of the south-west corner of Meopham Green has several points of interest. On the left the Surprise horse bus waits to start its journey to Gravesend. The picture must have been taken very early in the morning as the shadows prove that the sun was in the east, and we know th at the bus was scheduled to leave at 6.30 am. The milJ was then in prime condition. The Meopharn Green Drapery, Clothing and Boot Stores had moved over from its farmer premises next to the Kings Arms (see picture 51) and this picture shows how the shop had been extended out in front ofthe house. Bath have now gone. The old part ofthe Cricketers still had just the centre doorway, without its later porch. The grass on the green looks decidedly rough - they had na power mowers then!

Leading street Meopham

62. Leading Street is that part of the Gravesend to Wrotham Road between Meopham Green and South Street. The name has tended to drop out of use in these days of post codes. This view, another of those published by Mr. W. Parsons. shows the terrace of new houses built on the east side of the road in the early part of this century. Further development in more recent years has led to the loss of the mature trees on the roadside beyond the houses, the loss of the hedge on the right, and the widening of the road itself. The gate and stile leading to Steeles Lane can just be seen at the bend in the road.

63. Mr. Frederick Bishop, one of Meopharn's wellknown cricketers, was by trade a bricklayer, and was employed by Mr. Martin in his workshop at Leading Street. He was weIl able to turn his hand to a variety of trades. and he is here seen preparing some plumbing work, with an assistant, Mr. Cherry. One of his specialities was fitting a certain type of oven that was very popular in the village. The skilled work lay in making a ring of special mortar beside the base of the fire, which allowed the heat to go under the oven and then return to the fire. There was no other flue, but when he fitted them they cooked perfectly. Apart from cricket, he was a member of the Oddfellows, in which organisation he took a prominent part. The workshop at Leading Street is now occupied as a motor and agricultural machinery works.

64. The Mount Zion Baptist Chapellies on the west side of Leading Street. It was built in 1828, following a period when the founders had conducted their services in hired premises in various parts of Meopham and Luddesdown. This interior view of the chapel was taken in the late 19th century, and shows the minister, the Reverend William Pope, posing with his two Deacons, brothers named Crowhurst. The Iighting was, of course, by oillamps, as electricity did not reach the village for some forty or fifty years after this picture was taken.

65. In this picture we see Leading Street from the south. The road junction on the left is Ifield Raad, with its typical grass triangle, and leading past the almast forgotten lfield House. The grass triangle was lost when the road surface was covered with tarmac. On the right the stile gives access to a public footpath leading to Steeles Lane. The path has now become an unsurfaced track serving a number of new houses. The mature trees beside the raad have gone, and a reservoir has been built in the field. The telephone pole carries the pair of lines serving Leylands, the only subscriber in the south of the parish.

66. As rnentioned on picture 64, the first Baptist Church in Meopham was built at Leading Street in 1828, and this continued to serve the congregation unti11927. In that year, due to a doctrinal difference, some of them decided th at a separate church would better suit their spiritual needs. A plot of land at South Street was obtained from the late Thomas Day, a member of the church, and on it the South Street Baptist Church was built, by voluntary labour. This picture shows the then new church when it was almost complete. It was a tirnberfrarned building, clad with asbestos sheeting. The church was consecrated on 1st November 1928 by Pastor John Menroe of Eynsford Baptist Church. Tea was served at 5 pm, at a charge of sixpence each! The building continued in use unti11983, in which year it was demolished, and the present church replaced it.

67. The correct name of this property (here wrongly described as South Street House) is South House, and it used to be a public house, owned by two brothers named Loft. It was then known as 'The Two Brewers'. It stands on the west side ofWrotham Road, just north of Culverstone school. In its early days it was a farmhouse, owned by James Loft. He opened it as a pub in 1839, no doubt to benefit from the increased traffic which itwas expected would use the road after it had been improved by the Turnpike Trust. The farming, mainly market gardening, continued, and the licensed business was conducted in the room on the right of the picture. Entrance to this room was by a door in the end wall, now closed up. The beer cellar was beneath that room, and the cellar flap is clearly visible below the window. This picture was taken soon after the beer business had ceased. The property is now used as a farm shop.

68. This rare picture of Culverstone old school dates back to the early years of this century. The school, standing on the eastside ofWrotham Road, was built in 1872, on land given byMr. Amos Fletcher, toserve the growing area of that part of the parish. It served as both church and school. The main part of the building was used as the church and doubled as a classroom for the older pupils. The vestry doubled as a room for the younger ones, and for hanging up their coats. A new and larger school was built across the road in 1959, although the old one continued in use for a few years more. Plans were made for it to become a community centre, but did not rnaterialise , and it was demolished. The school house, in similar style, still stands in Whitepost Lane.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek