Meopham in old picture postcards

Meopham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J. Carley
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3392-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Meopham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. This picture, dating from 1912, shows the headmistress of the Culverstone school, Mrs. Hooker, with one of her classes. Comparison with the Meopham school class of 1894 (see picture 19) shows a marked change in the boys' clothing styles. Here most ofthe boys are wearing 'Eton' collars, with rather smarter jackets, and their haircuts seem to have been given a little more thought. The girls, on the other hand, seem to be wearingjust the same sort of dresses and pinafores as did their counterparts twenty years earlier. Very fuIl sleeves to their dresses seem to have been a standard fashion. This fashion also extended to the teacher, with her blouse and long skirt.

Ye Ol de Hop Oaste, Meopharn

70. Millers Farm is situated right at the south end ofthe village, alongside the Gravesend to Wrotham Road. It was later re-named as Tower Grange, and is now generally called Tower Folly. In years gone by one of its principal crops was the growing of hops, and sufficient were grown to justify the provision of their own oast, dating from the 19th century. Unlike many in the village this has been converted for residential use with the addition of dormer windows. With the current road-widening scheme, the very rural appearance which is such a feature of this picture, has been lost, particularly with the loss of the trees on the west (Stansted) side of the road. (The parish boundary runs along the centre of the road.) This picture was one of a series published by Mr. W. Parsons, who kept the village stores at Meopham Green. His somewhat archaic spelling was no doubt intended to give a sense of antiquity to the view.

71. When the main road from Gravesend to Borough Green, now the A.227, was tumpiked by Act of Parliament in 1825, toll houses and gates were erected at appropriate intervals to house the toll collectors. From such rather sparse details as have survived, it is believed that they were al! of the same construction. This view is the only known photograph of one such house, in this case located at the Vigo crossroads. Another tol! house was situated at the junction of Longfield Road and Wrotham Road, and a third at the point where the modern A.2 road crosses Wrotham Raad. After their function as tol! houses ceased in 1872 the houses continued in use as private dwellings. In turnpike days this house was occupied by Mrs. Jeal, and later by Mr. and Mrs. Oliver. The building eventual!y fel! into a state of disrepair and, like the others, was dernolished. The lady in this picture is probably Mrs. Jeal.

72. White Hili, or Whitehill Road as it is generally ca lied today, links the centre of Meopham with the hamlet of David Street and thence with Harvel. It is a road of considerable antiquity, and over the centuries the surface of the track as it descended the hili was gradually wom away. This left the wad in a considerable cutting, and, exposing the chalk, gave the wad its name. The process of erosion ceased only when the wad surface was covered with tarrnacadam in recent years. This view dates to about 1930, and shows the road surface with the wheel tracks on the stone surface. and the distinctive 'trade mark' of horse-drawn traffic in the middle.

73. This picture dating from about 1923, shows a road rep air gang at work in the Holly Hili area. In the course of their work they had unearthed a human skeleton. Two of the men in the back row (Bill Day and George Wingate) are holding the leg bones, while the rest ofthe skeleton is in the basket. The liability of the parish to repair the local roads had long since been transferred to the County Council, but the actual work was, of course, still carried out by Iocal men. It fomled an important part of the income of many resident families. When working at this particular spot, several of the men would have travelled some four or five miles from their homes in the centre of Meopham, probably by bicycle along fairly rough roads, but possibly on foot using some of the many public footpaths with which the parish is blessed.

ttear

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek