Middlesbrough in old picture postcards

Middlesbrough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Robin Cook
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2806-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Middlesbrough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. Dacre Street Police Station, an imposing building which still stands today in old Middlesbrough. It has not been used for its original purpose for many years, and is now a Community Launderette. The card, issued by S.E. Burgess, the Borough Engineer, was an advertising item for Bolckow and Vaughan's artificial stonework, made from slag fromthe iron works. A number of similar cards were issued showing various projects in which their building products had been used. A very large building - 70 yards by 20 yards - containing a butchers' market existed previously in the area of this site, with space for 150 butchers stalls, according to Keily's 1887 directory.

10. A view of the Linthorpe Iron Works, which was in the Ironmasters District close to the old town. The Riverside Park Industrial Estate is now being developed on the site of these blast furnaces. Probably taken about 1915.

11. A view taken about 1910 in one of the local steelworks - probably the Acklam Works. Some idea of the heavy nature of the work is captured by the photographer. Lady Bell's 'At the Works', originally published in 1907, creates a powerful impression of the life of the steelworkers and their families in Middlesbrough.

MIODLESBROUGH FERRY80AT.

12. The 'Erimus' ferry boat, built by Raylton Dixon and Company, was launched in 1888 and could carry more than 900 passengers. The first large ferry carrying harses and carts as well as passengers on the Middlesbrough to Port Clarence crossing came into service in 1874. With the Transporter Bridge opening in 1911, the last two ferry boats - the 'Erimus' and the 'Hugh Bell' - were sold to a Southampton company in 1912.

13. A river scene - taken from a g1ass negative - of the early stages of construction of the Transporter Bridge. A special temporary anchoring tower was constructed on each bank of the river, in order to hold the permanent towers in position until the bridge was completed. This can be seen as the vertical girders on the extreme right hand. Picture taken during 1910.

The Transporter Bridge, Middlesbrough.

.~

14. An interesting view of an incomplete Transporter Bridge - the centre span is not quite Iinked together. The card dates from early 1911, when the ferry service was still operating. Taken from the north bank of the river at Port CIarence, this view also shows operating coal staithes, with a rake of rail wagons on a raised track.

15. The opening ceremony of the Transporter Bridge, which took place on 17 October 1911. His Royal Highness Prince Arthur of Connaught performed the opening, and most of the local nobility appear to have attended. Note the special viewing platform in the girders on the left hand side. The total cost of the bridge was just over [,87,000.

16. After lunch at the offices of the Tees Conservancy Commissioners in Queens Square, Prince Arthur, escorted by the mounted Yorkshire Hussars, travelled to Albert Park, which had been opened by his father, the Duke of Connaught, in 1868. The Prince planted a tree in the Park, and then went on to open the Kirby School. A banquet was held in the Town Hall in the evening.

17. An early view of the Transporter Bridge in operation, with the travelling car neat1y framed by the tower structure. The Bridge Superintendent stands at the right hand end of the upper deck. Unlike the present time - when the Transporter is working - the car has on1y pedestrians on board.

AIR VIEW OF TRANSPORTER BRIOCE. MIOOLESeOROUCH

No 10209

18. An aerial view taken from near the Transporter Bridge and showing some of the heavy industry lying close to the river in the old part of Middlesbrough. This view was taken in the 1920's.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek