Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50156 Library:50527 in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php on line 15

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php:15) in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/require.req.php on line 2

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/database.req.php:15) in /home/0003/sites/s245/europese-bibliotheek.nl/web/require/require.req.php on line 2
Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek | Middlesbrough in old picture postcards | boeken | alfabetisch-overzicht
Middlesbrough in old picture postcards

Middlesbrough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Robin Cook
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2806-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Middlesbrough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

69. A very fine view of the Corpus Christi procession passing along Sussex Street from the area of the Roman Catholic Cathedral and the old town, and moving over the railway crossing into Linthorpe Road. Hundreds of young women and girls can be seen, and great public interest is evident. Taken in the late 1920's.

70. An early view of the Railway Station, postmarked 1904. A small station was built on this site in 1847, at which time the residents of the oId town were amazed at placing a station so far from the town centre! Whilst the economie advantages of having the station were self evident, the drawback to the design was that the railway line was gradually to cut the developing town in two. The view is taken from the junction of Linthorpe Road and Zetland Road, again illustrating the originallayout of the station buildings. The station as seen here cost !100,OOO to build in 1877.

71. A splendid group photograph of the railway staff" at Middlesbrough Station in 1915. Even the station cat is included on the lap of someone in the front row! The train on the right is meanwhile kept waiting. Presumably the gentlemen in the middle of the front row include the station master.

72. A fine view outside the Railway Station in Albert Road, with various fonns of transport in evidence: the bus to Grove Hill, a tram going to the Transporter Bridge, an L.N.E.R. horse and cart, a hand barrow in the left foreground, two cars in the middle distance on the right, as weU as the railway itself. The card was posted in February 1929. The wine merchants - Winterschladen & Co Ltd. occupied the corner premises for many years. The Albert Railway Bridge - seen in the background was redecorated very elegantly during 1983.

73. A view of the John Vaughan statue by the Railway Station, with the Royal Exchange building in the background. The statue commemorated the important contribution which Vaughan made - with Henry Bolckow - to the prosperity of the Midd1esbrough district. It was unveiled in 1884, but was moved to Victoria Square in 1904, so the postcard pre-dates that event. Vaughan lived at Gunnergate Hall, Marton, from 1858, and died in 1868. The card WlJS posted to a friend at Darlington at 4.45 p.m. on 31 May 1904, and tells us something of the efficiency of the postal service at that time. The message reads: Gone to Middlesbrough. lam going to Empire (Theatre) so you can go to bed. Leave my supper as it might be late when 1 get home.

74. A somewhat distorted perspective of the Exchange Building in Albert Road, on an early card posted in 1904. The building has been involved in controversy in recent years, because it stands in the way of a new inner ring road system. It was built for the Middlesbrough Exchange Co Ltd. in 1868, and cost t28,000. The main hall has a magnificent vauIted ceiling with fine decoration. The Iron Market was held there on Tuesdays and Fridays, when prices were settIed and large quantities of iron and other merchandise were bought and sold. The card was evidently published by the town library, which at that time was situated in the new Town Hall building.

75. A fine view of the old Hippodrome Theatre of Varieties in Wilson Street. It opened on 17 August 1906, with Florrie Ford as top of the bill on that occasion. The site had previously been a Quaker burial ground, which meant a special nocturnal exhumation procedure when the remains were transferred to the Linthorpe Cernetery. The first 'talkie' film in Middlesbrough was shown here in August 1929. The building closed as a cinema in 1956, but is still in use today. The notices proclaim that film of the Jeffries-Johnson world heavyweight fight is being shown.

76. Wilson Street during the charity Carnival Week held in 1925. The shop on the right had a special offer on 'The Cosy Pot' - with its 'unbreakable lid and spout'. A number ofbusinessmen are passing the time of day. The sign of the Halifax Permanent Building Society hangs a little way down on the left, and the view is taken from Albert Raad.

77. A magnificent decorated tram, used to raise money for local hospital funds during the Charity Carnival which took place in Middlesbrough from 19 to 27 September 1925. The week included processions, dancing, competitions, and fireworks. A massive draw had a house as the major prize. More than L9,000 was raised in total.

78. A fascinating memory of old Middlesbrough - Linthorpe Mews lay between Wilson Street and Corporation Road. Diekson and Benson's elegant shop on the left. In the centre distanee are the Wesley Buildings aeross Corporation Road, Some of the briek walls on the right hand side ean still be seen today,

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek