Newburn in old picture postcards

Newburn in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5542-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newburn in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

19. Newburn, the cottage hospital c191O. This building was originally erected as a Sunday School. As the village of Newburn expanded, Warkworth Crescent and the streets which run down from it towards the river were built. This westward movement of the population, coinciding as it did with a national surge of support for the Sunday School Movement, prompted the Wesleyans of the village to build a larger school. This building became available to the local Board of Health and it was converted into a cottage hospital. Such hospitals were common in most smal! towns, and were staffed by district nurses with a few full-time sisters under the charge of a matron. The majority of the medical supervision of the patients was carried out by the local General Practitioner. Sirnple operations were occasionally carried out here by visiting surgeons from the Newcastle R.V. land Medical School.

20. Newburn, T. T. Walker Ltd., haulage contractors, 1922. This picture was taken on land behind the cottage hospital. Mr. Walker's garage is the building on the right. The company began with horse-drawn wagons. The horses shown here have been smartly groomed, which suggests that they are about to go on show, perhaps at one of the many summer fairs held around the district every year. The motive power ofthe firm in 1922 is shown in the photograph: three carthorses and a petrol- driven lorry. The small brick buildings that the lorry is parked next to is a toilet block serving the houses to the left. One ofthe Walker Brothers, who ran the haulage company until recently, is shown here. He is George, the boy holding the head ofthe horse on the left. The boys and horses stand on the lane that led down from the High Street, opposite the Almshouses, to the area next to the Tyne known as the Chair.

21. Newbum, the old village c1900. This title reflects the fact that Newburn had by 1900 grown away from the limited housing needs of a smal! settlement of farmers and fishermen. The old village ran along the riverside from Water Row (card 41), up to St. Michael's Church, then along the High Street to the bridge over the New Burn. The old village is characterised by a wide space between the houses on opposite sides of High Street. The houses stretching across from the right in this picture highlight this distance. Befare the tramears came, the main raad ran down left to the river and bridge. Ta the right of the houses was a lane leading to the churchyard. This layout actual!y reflects that of many others in the border marches of N orthumbria. It was a pattern for defence in turbulent times. Houses were built around a roughly square grass area. High Street, Newburn, passes through the remnant of this area, the village green, where cattle were driven nightly to prevent rustiing.

22. The lnstitute, 1909. One of the results of the growing industrialisation of the north was the development of Working Mens' Institutes. These were aften built by the local factory or coal company, and funded by deductions from each worker's wages. The Institute provided a sober and improving alternative to the public houses of the village. The Institute had a reading room and library as weil as larger rooms suitable for lectures, meetings and parties. It was usual for Institutes, especially in the colliery villages, to have a clause farbidding any alcoholic beverages to be brought into or consumed on the premises. The benefactors of the Newburn Institute supplied it with a large faced doek, to enable people who wanted to catch a train to see the time and hurry to the station if necessary. Unfortunately the Institute was hit by lightning shortly after it was completed, and the clock mechanism became magnetised. This stopped the clock and every attempt made through the years to set it running again failed.

23. Newburn, the Manorhouse, demolished in 1909. This photograph was taken by Mr. Eider, to keep as a permanent record of one of the oldest houses in Newbum. He took it shortly before it was pulled down, then took another of the cleared site, which we have not included in this book. The stonework around the door and windows suggest a date of construction for the building sometime during the reign of Elizabeth I (1558-1603). The Lord ofthe Manor of Newburn, also called in ancient times the Baron of Newburn, was first mentioned as one Robert Fitz Roger in an early record of Henry III (1216-1272); the Manor later became one of many held by the Duke of Northumberland. This building was therefore probably never used as the main residence of the Lord of Newburn, but would have been the house of his local agent. In its latter years the Manorhouse became the home of the curate of St. Michael's Church. The last occupant recorded in the local directory was Reverend F.T. Gardner.

24. Newburn, Newburn Hotel, Station and Grange Raad 1910. This picture was taken from the Newburn Toll Bridge. The girder in the right foreground shows this clearly. The inclusion of the girder on the postcard gives an indication of the low standard of picture composition accepted by postcard producers. This was because the printers were trying to keep up with a voracious appetite for new cards amongst the postally active public. At the same time there were few photographers willing to take outside views. Studio work was regarded by them as more rewarding, both artistically and financially. The card shows the recently built Newburn Hotel, its rooms intended for visitors coming by train, perhaps on a business trip to Speneer's Works. In the foreground between the station railings and the fence by the road is the track of the Wylam Dilly, a mineral railway opened in 1748 using horse-drawn carts to bring coal from Wylam colliery to Newburn Staithes.

25. Newburn, milkmaid on the toll bridge 1903. This print was produced originally from a cracked glass negative, the lines across the sky show where the cracks were. When this photograph was taken the bridge had been built for nine years, and a toll was levied on all travelIers crossing it. The bridge had become necessary once the Tyne Improvement Commissioners put in hand dredging and other works in the 1890s to make the river navigable up to Ryton, as all the old fords and several islands in the Tyne were lost. The shadows on the bridge show that the photograph was taken early in the morning, as Lily Place was setting out across the bridge to make milk deliveries to the town. She has put down the full milk eans and turned to pose with her dog for the camera of Mr. Eider. Lily was to grow up and marry in Newburn and several other photographs of her taken by Mr. EIder on church choir outings have survived. She makes a further appearance in this collection, as a married woman, on card 37.

26. Newburn South, R. Place, carter 1910. Due to ancient custom and occasion al changes in the course of the Tyne, several pareels of land on each side of the river belonged to the county on the opposite side. For example a ferry landing a little upstream on the north side was called Ryton Island and bc!onged to Durham . This probably dated back to the days when Cistercian monks owned the ferry. These monks owed allegiance to the Prince Bishop of Durham rather than the Lord of Newburn. On the south site the fields near to where the old ford came out of the river and where now the toll bridge crosses to the Ryton side , were part of the old barony of Newburn. This photograph was taken in one of these South Newburn fields. It shows Mr. R. Place with his horse and cart dressed overall and ready to join the festivities in the village. Local fairs and hoppings usually began with a procession of dressed carts led by the village band. Another possibility is that Mr. Place is about to take part in Newburn's celebrations of George V's Coronation.

27. Newburn ferry landing c191O. From time immemorial boats on the river have been used as a means of transport between the towns and villages along the banks of the Tyne. Befare the railway, due to the shocking state of the roads, river transport was best. However, when this card was produced, the ferry was used mainly for pleasure trips. Indeed weil into the 1960s the local Sunday Schools aften booked the Mid Tyne Ferry to travel down to the coast. The earliest record of such a trip dates back to 1842, when the children of the Prudhoe Wesleyan Sunday School were to have travelled by train to Newcastle quayside and then boarded the ferry to North Shields. In the event the train broke down near Wylam, sa they were given a lift on the Dilly to Newburn and had to walk along from there to the Quayside. On the return journey the train broke down again at Blaydon.

28. Newburn, Sunday School outing to Tynemouth, 1907. This weil-laden paddle ferry is on the way downstream to Tynemouth with the Wesleyan Sunday School on board. The boat is passing the west end of Blaydon, the Summerhouse on top of Image HilI behind Stella Hall breaks the skyline in the background. In order to qualify for inclusion on the trip scholars had to have a good attendance record in the months preceding it. This had the effect of ensuring that attendance was kept up over the period of the Sunday School Anniversary. At the Anniversary individual scholars were required when called on by the preacher to stand in front of a packed chapel and deliver a 'Pièce'. The Piece was usually a recitation or a solo. This event was popular with teachers and pareuts. but regarded as something to be avoided, if possible, by most scholars. The trip was therefore areward for performance of an unpleasant task , a typical example of practical paternalistic Victorian morality teaching.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek