Newburn in old picture postcards

Newburn in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5542-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newburn in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29. Newburn Bridge c1900. This postcard, on sale at the turn of the century, was produced by Bealls, a Newcastle-based printing firm. Bealls printed several pictures showing aspects of Newburn about this time. In order to compensate for indistinct background details, due to smoke particles in the atrnosphere , the Bealls' cards are touched up. This is very apparent here, the tower of St. Michael's, the roof and eaves line of Speneer's Works and the railings in front of Water Row have all been drawn in. Whilst the main subject of the card is undoubtedly the recently constructed toll bridge, the background to the photograph gives a good impression of the layout of the old village. Seen from the south, before the Edwardian building boom that filled up the fields behind Water Row, it shows the village housing areas as they had been for centuries. East of the bridge the majority of houses stand between the church and the rnillstream bridge, to the west the houses built for fishermen and boatmen make up Water Row.

30. Newburn, Tyne lmprovement Commission work, 1899. A panorama of old Newburn, showing the fuillength of Water Row, from the bridge to about where the rowing club now have their building. Today The Boathouse public house in the centre of the card is the only building in Water Row still standing. Other buildings that have survived since 1899 are the hotel behind Water Row, St. Michael's Church, then, breaking the skyline behind the white-washed cottages to the right, the Institute. Behind the Institute, marking the course ofthe millstream, are the chimneys and the buildings that made up the Speneer's Works. The foreground ofthe picture shows the mineral railways that were laid to carry small tubs of stones and soil along the river si de , to strengthen the banks of the Tyne. This was necessary sa they would withstand the washes of the bigger vessels that could now navigate upstrearn of Newcastle, thanks to the dredging work of the Tyne Improvernent Commission.

31. Newburn, G. Hugel, park butcher, 1912. The family firm of Hugel pose beside the window of their shop on the corner of Station Raad. As well as the bacon joints hanging on show, the window displays a range of their 'Noted Sausages & Ham Pies'. In addition to the links of pork sausage there are coils of blaek pudding, and ne at pyrarnids of park pies. Whcn this picture was taken Western Europe had been at peace for forty years, no passports were needed to travel on the continent and there were few restrictions on immigration. The Hugels came over from Gerrnany, settled in Newburn, and opened th is shop. This loeal exarnple of European unity didn't last long. Wh en Lord Grey rolled up the map of Europe as war broke out in August 1914, a jingoistic zenophobia against all things German swept the country. The Hugels were driven out of the shop by their customers and neighbours, and arrested and interried as enerny aliens. After the war the shop was taken over and reopened as a greengrocers by the Bolam family.

32. Newburn, Warkworth Terrace, c1925. This card shows the fine sweep of the houses of Warkworth Terrace up the hili towards the fields of Grange Farm which still separated Newburn from Throckley. As custom then demanded, the group of men in the right foreground all wear hats. It was possible to j udge a man 's station in society by his choice of headgear. Manual workers invariably wore cloth caps, while foremen and tradesmen chose bowlers. The crowded street with car, tram and bicycle, but no harses, iIIustrates th at the change from horse-drawn to mechanical vehicles on the road was well-established here by 1925. The well-patronised tramcar in the centre ran on a single line with loops. This line was opened to Scotswood Bridge in 1913. It proved so popular that Newcastle Corporation, who operated the trams, extended the line to Throckley Road End. At the Scotswood end the tramway joined the city network. This made possible one of the longest tram journeys in the country, between Throckley and Forest Hall.

33. Newburn, comrades of {he Great War, 1920. The loeal Salvation Army Band leads a parade of Newburn's ex-servieemen past the bottom of Warkworth Terrace. After the war some of the men who returned home used to meet to reeall the comradeship of the trenches and remember their fallen friends. The war quickly degenerated into four years of almost statie treneh warfare. The weapons used produced a horrifie and totally unpreeedented level of easualties amongst every army involved. Everywhere people lost fathers, sans, brothers, husbands and sweethearts. Comrades groups formed the British Legion, to set up War Memorials and support those erippled or left widowed or fatherless. Others formed 'Toe H' to spread into eivilian life the ideals of eomradeship forged of necessity in the trenehes, sa that some good would, hopefuJly, eome out of the saerifiee of sa many young men.

34. Newburn, unveiling the War Memorial1920. Many families in Newburn lost men in the Great War. The large crowd gathered in this photograph bears testimony to the way in which the war touched the whole community. Newburn chose to honour its dead with a statue of a private infantryman in full kit. This was appropriate as many of the men of the town were in the Northumberland Fusiliers, one local battalion of which was decimated on the first day of the battle of the Somme. On that fateful day the infantry were ordered to advance slowly toward the German lines, in full kit weighing 60lbs, when the British artillery barrage lifted. The barrage was supposed to wipe out any German resistance. It didn't, and the German machine gunners were able to run from their underground shelters and mow down the advancing troops. There were 60,000 British casualties on the first day. This one battle, which lasted for three months, accounted for many of the names on rolls of honour here and throughout Northumberland.

35. Newburn, Wesleyan Church c1910. The Wesleyans built this ehureh shortly before this photograph was taken, as evidenee by the eomparatively clean stonework in what was then a very sooty environment. WhiJe the building is substantially the same today, the eard ean be dated by the sehoolboys' Eton eollars to before the First World War. A further clue th at this is a pre-war photograph lies in the iron railings around the top of the walls. These were destined to disappear into loeal faetories onee war broke out, to be melted down and fashioned into parts of guns or ships. The ehureh founded through the preaehing and travels of John Wesley. who died in 1791, began to fragment within two deeades of his death. The Primitive Methodists left wh at beeame known as the Wesleyans beeause the latter ehureh followed a less lively path of Evangelieal Protestantism, barely distinguishable from low chureh Anglieanism. The Wesleyans were the solid, no nonsense, middle class Methodists, and this is refleeted in the solid, na nonsense arehitecture of this ehurch.

36. Newburn, site ofnew Wesleyan Sunday School, 1906. At the turn of the century Newburn grew quickly. Workmens' housing was built in terraces, each with a corner shop, west of the old village, between the river and the Throckley raad. This growth coincided with the Welsh Revival. The Evangelical campaign which started in the valleys of Wales soon spread further afield and its effects we re feit in chapels throughout the land. Chapel going increased amongst the working classes, together with an interest in their childrens' spiritual education. This had local repercussions. The Sunday School in the old village (card 19) became overcrowded. A new larger building, more centrally positioned in the town, was commissioned by the Wesleyan Trust Board and building commenced. This photograph shows the chosen site prepared for the laying of the foundation stones.

37. Newburn, R. W. Joyce, butcher, 33 Boyd Streel, 1928. One of the corner shops built at the end of each of the terraces that were erected to house the growing workforee at the Spencer Steelworks in the opening decade of the present century. SA pervasive was the infJuenee of the firm that these terraces were each named after the then directars of Speneer's. This was Boyd Street, named after W. Boyd, who was one ofthe original board members when Speneer's was set up a Limited Company in 1886, and was stiJl serving in 1910, when the Spencer Centenary booklet was published. In the booklet it was claimed: 'Newburn's interests are bound up with those of the Firm.' The truth of this claim could be judged by the time this card was published. For by then the firm had colJapsed and, in doing so , threw a majority ofthe men ofthe town out ofwork. It was a difficuJt time for Mr. Joyce, who is seen here with his sister-in-law Lily (nee Place , see card 25). Like the other loeal shopkeepers he found his trade badly affeeted by the Speneer's closure. It caused several of Newburn's corner shops to go out of business.

38. Newburn, Hareside, Manor School pupils, 1890. When this card was produced the area known as Hareside consisted of three short terraces: Victoria, Albert and Berkley, which lie behind the hedge to the right, and the Manor School, visible in the background. In the foreground are some of the girls from the school. Nearly all wear pinafores to proteet their dresses; atthe time this was the fashion, from the queen down to the hum blest schoolgirl. Hareside is north and west of the old village and is reached by the raad that runs past the west end of the Almshouses. The road then runs up the west side of the millstream passing all the buildings of Speneer's Works on the opposite bank before bearing west to the junction with the path shown here. The Manor School was founded by Hugh, Duke of Northumberland, in 1822. He endowed it with 15 guineas a year, this was to maintain 15 free scholars. A further 10 guineas each from Northumberland Glass Works and the lessees of Walbattle colliery made up the rnaster's salary and provided a further 15 free places.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek