Newburn in old picture postcards

Newburn in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5542-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newburn in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

39. Newburn Hopping's Fair 1906. Fairs in Newburn date back to medieval times. When Newburn Town was created a Royal Borough at about the time of King Richard the Lionheart, the Charter of Incorporation included the right to hold a market fair. The fair in Newburn was bigger than most, because it lay on the great drove route. Fairs always attracted crowds, and these in turn drew in travelling entertainers and cutpurses from miles around. In later centuries farmers came to the fair to hire labourers on yearly contracts. The fair was an annual excuse for noisy and boisterous behaviour. Puritans in Elizabeth's reign railed against such profanities, and Cromwe!l's Commonwealth suppressed them. During the 19th century dances known loeally as 'Hops' were organised in most publie houses on fair Saturdays. Thus the modern Hoppings shown here got its name from the pub dances held on the anniversary of Newburn's ancient market fair.

40. Newburn Hoppings, Shooting Gallery cl908. Hoadleys Shooting Gallery was just one of many amusements and rides that came to Newburn for the annual Hopping's Fair. The travelling showfolk th at brought the fair to Newburn spent the months of May and June visiting various local events culminating in the grand temperanee fair held towards the end of June on Newcastle Town Moor. This was set up over a century ago in a late Victorian effort to provide some sober competition to local events at which strong drink was available, such as Newburn, Winlaton and Swalwell Hoppings, Ryton Hirings and B1aydon Races. For several years before the First World War the 'Town Moor' and these local entertainments co-existed. However, the growth of Bands of Hope in local chapels and churches was followed by the successful suppression of Ryton Hirings in the 1890s and Blaydon Races in 1916, whilst support forthe remaining fairs, including Newburn, feil away due to the war and the subsequent slump in the loeal economy. What remains today is a pale , rat her sanitised, imitation of what used to beo

41. Newburn, Water Row in 1900. When this photograph was taken, these houses had stood forover a century. The white-washed walls gave them a picturesque appearance th at belied the poor living conditions indoors. They were built with one living room with coal fire hearth and a scuJlery on the ground f100r. The stairs were open plan, little more than a ladder, and led up to a bed room lid by the smal! window directly under the eaves. For toilets earth closets were provided, usually in a block with the coal store at the end of the garden. Originally water had to be carried from one of the stand pumps situated in the village. These village pumps were served from pipes containing water drawn directly from the river, this caused the cholera outbreak in 1832. Fol!owing improvements by the Water Company these cottages were supplied with piped and filtered water. Their riverside position meant that water occasionally came in through the door. The great flood in 1771 caused the water level to ri se five feet up the walls.

42. Newburn, Putting Billy on the wagonway, 1860. With the winning of a coal mine at Wylam in the 1730s, this western hamiet ofthe old parish of Newburn began developments that we re to lead to the spread of railways across the world. Wylam was too far up river for the keelboats to reach, and so a wooden wagonway was constructed. The Wylam to Newburn wagonway ran from Wylam colliery to staithes at Lemington. It was laid about 1750, and in the early years ofthe nineteenth century iron rails were laid, enabling it to become one of the first places in the world to use stearn locomotives. Puffing Billy, one of the locomotives built in 1813 by William Hedley, the colliery viewer, is shown here, still werking, in 1860. On the footplate is driver J. Carr (right) and fireman W. Greener (left). Afterthe pit closed in 1863 the wagonway feil into disuse, until part of it was taken over by the North Eastern Railway Company to farm the Scotswood-Newburn-Wylam railway in 1872. The route is now a public bridlepath.

43. Newburn, Grange Farm, 1909. The name Grange was of ten given to farms betonging to , but outside of, the main village. Here the farm was included in the assessment for taxes laid by the King on the Borough ofNewburn. The local name ofthe farm is Lamb's Farm, as several generations of the Lamb family lived here, for example James Lamb was recorded as the farmer here in the 1895 Kelly's Directory. The architecture of the very wide left wall of the farmhouse that rises above roof level suggests that the farm was possibly built on the site of an former chureh building. The monks of Newminster, near Morpeth, owned land at Chopwell. In order to facilitate travel between their properties the monks established a cross river ferry. It travelled between the river bank near the farm and Ryton. It is probable that the building which prcceded the farm, whose one remairring wall is incorporatcd into the farmhouse. was placed here as an hospice to provide overnight shelter for monks travelling between Chopwell and Newrninster.

44. Throckley, bathing in the burn, 1909. This scene was photographed in the fields of Throckley, where the New Burn's sedate flow provided a quiet bathing pool for loeal schoolboys. The burn has not always been as calm and safe as it appears here. In 1786 it became choked by mud and branches and effectively dammed in woodland further upstream. The great volume of water that built up behind the dam eventual!y swept it away and flooded down the bed of the burn, When the f100d reached Newburn it drowned three people, swept away three houses and flooded most of the east end of the village. The rural nature of this picture rerninds us that Throckley, which was first rnentioned in records of 1161, consisred of a dispersed settlernent of farms and smaJl coalpits. The settlement rernained secluded because of its isolation from any important roads, until General Wade's military road from Newcastle reached it in 1745. Further development fol!owed when stearn-driven pumps allowed Bel! and Brown to sink Throckley's first de ep mine in 1765.

45. Throckley Colliery 1909. Coal mining has taken place in Throckley sporadically since at least the thirteenth century. Indeed it is possible th at the Roman soldiers who manned the local section of Hadrians wall may have used a coal fire. Coal as a fuel was known to them, as they mined into surface seams south of the Tyne. Early medieval mines consisted of shallow drift mines and bell pits. More ambitious mines were sunk in the 15th century, but their depth was limited by the poor pumps then available for draining water from them. By the end ofthe 17th century all the mines in Throckley had been abandoned. It was only when a Newcomen engine was used for pumping in 1765 that Bell and Brown were able to sink a shaft to lower seams and mining became an important part of the village economy. Even their mine was worked out by 1794. The modern deep mine dates from 1878 when the Derwentwater shaft was sunk. The Maria pit followed and the Stephenson Brickworks was opened to utilise the fireclay mined alongside the coal.

46. Throckley Pond 1902. This village pond, surrounded by rushes and a haven for aquatic wild life, was filled in and overbuilt in 1906. The Edwardian building boom, which covered many similar country sites with houses in the villages around Tyneside, was a result of an exceptionallocal economy. This was based on an almost insatiable increase in demand for coa!. New mines were sunk and villages grew to house the miners needed in them. The coal was required to fuel the factories and shipyards ofthe north-east as the economy expanded around a demand for new battleships. When Dreadnought was launched in 1906 it made every other battleship afloat in every navy redundant. This precipitated a 'Dreadnaught building race' between the British and German empires that preceded, and was one of the underlying causes of, the First World War. The pond was situated some way behind Wellington Street. The house in the centre of the background to the card still stands as part of Wellington Street.

47. Throckley, the Co-operative HaIl1900. This building, which still stands today, is Throckley's example of the 'Tin Hut'. This was the name given to any hal! or church built of corrugated iron. Use of the material, which was cheaper than bricks and mortar, was popular in the decades preceding the First World War. This hall was built by the Throckley and District Cooperative Wholesale Society. The Cooperative Movement began in the 1860s to provide working people with the opportunity to buy goods cheaply by purchasing them directly from wholesalers and then retailing them on to mernbers. It was funded by subscriptions and purchases made in its shops by ordinary rnembers, who shared in any profits made wh en the quarterly dividend was distributed. In addition the movement promoted educational and social welfare of members by providing suitable premises for classes, meetings and social events. Many halls and reading rooms were built, literally, above the shops. In the case of Throckley this freestanding hall was built.

48. Throckley, workers' soup kitchen, 1920s. Soup kitchens became an all toa familiar sight during periods of industrial unrest or depression in the 1920s and 1930s. Workers on strike, laid off, or locked out by employers, aften had na means of buying food. Most, however, ran allotments in which vegetables were grown, pigs fattened and hens kept. Ta supplement this meagre fair and provide for those without home-produccd food, collections were made around the village calling on those still in work and local shops. The collections brought in items of food, which were then prepared for the pot, and turned into broth. The scene here shows the results of a morrung's collection. Local butcher's assistants stand ready to cut up the meat joints, after which the men hand over the preparation of the food to the committee of ladies elected to oversee the production of the soup. The soup was served first 10 the children during their school dinner break, and then to the adults.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek