Newburn in old picture postcards

Newburn in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5542-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newburn in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. Throckley, St. Mary's Church and Vicarage, 1902. After the sinking of the Derwentwater shaft in 1878 the village grew quickly, acquiring this fine parish church in 1887. This photograph was taken shortly after the congregation had raised the funds to build a vicarage, seen here behind and to the right of the church. What appears as a quiet country road running across the front of the card is the Military Highway from Newcastle to Carlisle. On the road off to the right a solitary horse and cart makes its way down toward Newburn. While this church and the two chapels (cards 51 and 54) ministered to the spiritual needs of the miners and theirfamilies, their physical, educational and social needs were met by the development of a Cooperative Store and Hall, a Picture Palace, a Miners' Institute and a Workmens' Club. By 1914, when the tram terminus was built just down the road to the right, to quote the late Mr. J.J. Armstrong, resident and local historian: 'Throckley was a typical complete colliery village.' (Contact Vol. 2, No. 2; pub April1972 by Newburn U.D.C.)

50. Throckley, Good TempIars Rally, 1912. This card shows a rally ofthe members ofthe ThrockleyTemples ofthe Independent Order of Good Ternplars. They stand lining the wad between the Co-operative Hall and Victoria Terrace. The Tempiars were one of many similar Friendly Societies that flourished amongst the working classes at the turn of the century. These Friendly Societies combined the functions of savings' clubs and insurance companies. To do this they collected regular subscriptions which were used to provide limited benefits if members feIl sick, were thrown out of work or died. Such mutual aid activities we re vital, because the workers had then no right to state pensions or payment of any sickness or unemployment benefits. The Friendly Societies also played an educational role , teaching temperanee and acceptance of the social hierarchy. Factory and mine owners were therefore of ten financially supportive and frequently became involved in thern as Grand Masters of the locallodges and tempies.

51. Throckley, Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1900. The Primitive Methodists that built this chapel in 1891 were mainly miners who moved from the lead mines of Allandale to work in the expanding coal industry of the area. They brought with them a Methodism based on the teaching of the early church that they should have 'all things in common'. The P .M.s, also adopted a more boisterous form of worship, their preachers were noted for hellfire sermons. The rather staid Wesleyans, mainly middle class, dubbed these lively working class Methodists 'The Ranters'. They were originally more strictly teetotal than the Wesleyans and because of this their prayer meetings usually included invocations for their 'poor benighted bretheren down the road'. The structure of the class meetings in the Methodist Churches, and the experience of committee work gained by the rnernbers, became model and means in the development of the industrial trade unions.

52. Throckley, Welfare Clinic, 1936. The building on this card shows typical 1930s governmental architecture, with metal window frames. Prior to the introduetion ofThe N. H.S. in 1947, pre-war governments began to accept some responsibility for the health of the nation's children. Clinics were set up to provide eentres to which young mothers were encouraged to bring their infants. They were staffed by district nurses and midwives who kept a check on the development of the local babies and ensured that they received their vaccinations. These clinics also supplied Ostermilk powder, cod liver oil and orange juice concentrate at subsidised prices, to ensure that the infants were getting a balanced diet with adequate vitamins. Throckley was fortunate in having this clinic custom built, complete with its covered pram parks at each end. Most neighbouring villages and sm all towns had to use church or community halls, limiting the hours the clinic could operate, a situation that lasted until wel! after the war.

53. Throckley, Welfare Clinic, interior, 1936. An interior photograph ofthe building on card 52. The major parameters used by the staff for monitoring the development of the infants were height and weight. The boy on the left is standing on the height measure, a long stick graduated in inches, visible on the extreme left. The midwife, complete with hat, is weighing a baby on a set of scales mounted on the desk of the clinic clerk. There is no evidence from this picture that the building was centrally heated, in deed all the mothers are in heavy street clothes, while the staff appear to have their white coats on over normal indoor clothing. The babies, howcver, have to brave the chili while being examined and weighed. The general impression is that there is little heat in the room, exposure to comparative cold was then thought to aid development. Staff rooms were, however, supplied with coal fires, as the chimneys on card 52 testify.

54. Throckley, Wesleyan Church, Hexham Road, 1905. This card was produced shortly after the opening of the Wesleyan Hall, built primarilyas a Sunday School. The Sunday School pupils pose, the girls in pinafores, in front ofthe church and the boys on and in front of the garden wall of the Manse. Throckley's first Wesleyan Society met in the home ofW. Stephenson at Throckley Bank Top. Members built a small chapel in 1851, but by 18671arger premises were needed. A new chapel, seen here as the right hand section of the darker walled building, with the tower, was opened in 1870. The left hand section was added in 1890, al most doubling the capacity of the chapel. At the same time a pipe organ was installed. The clean walled building in the photograph is the new hall. The buttressed walls in the left background are part ofthe Throckley Water Works, belonging to the Newcastle and Gateshead Water Co. These Water Works include filter beds constructed in 1879. During the excavations for these filter beds a large horde of Roman coins was unearthed.

55. Throckley, the children of Sin kers Row, 1925. Sinkers Row was the first housing built by a eoal company when they began work on a new pit. The houses here are typical of the eolliery houses erected in the 1870s and 1880s. We see here the backs of the houses in the row, where they appear single-storeyd. The back door led into the scullery and pantry, the smal! window with glazing at the top and wooden strips whieh let in air but excJuded flies belengs to the pantry. The large rain barrels were to colleet water for use on washing days, At the front the houses were two-storeyd with a living room on the ground floor and a smal! attic bedroom, which was reaehed by an open staircase. The children show how fashion had changed in twenty years. The boys had abandoned Eton collars and wore wool jumpers. At school ties werc worn. Schoolboys ware short trousers kept up by elastieated be lts with snake buckles, but the cloth caps, still worn by their fathers. had gone. The universal pinafore worn by girls of the pre-war generation had evolved into the pinafore dress,

56. Throckley, aged miners' homes, Hexham Raad, 1906. The empty raad, the main road between Newcastle and Hexham, iIlustrates how little people or freight carriers regarded roads as options for long distant trave!. No one today would choose frontage onto a main road as an option when siting retirement homes. In the scramble to attract miners to the ever expanding coal industry, mine owners improved the housing they built and encouraged the development of aged miners homes. These were usually built by the County Aged Miners Association, which was run by a committee from the Miners Union and others with an interest in the welfare of retired pitmen. So great was the de mand for eoal in the early 1900s th at miners eould ehoose their employers. This caused a mood of enlightened selfinterest among the owners and money and materials were made available to the Aged Miners Association, as well as for the development of churches, chapels, schools and institutes in the fast growing colliery villages of the area.

57. Walbattle, The Dene and Hexham Raad. 1920. As this part of the old parish of Newburn was made up of small, scattered farmsteads, it is probable that this area has been wooded since ancient times. The ownership of Walbottle passed from two local farmers to the first Duke of Northumberland in 1760. It was he who created the Dene in 1766, by beginning a programme of tree planting. Walbottle Dene was given into the care of Newburn U .D.e. by the ninth Duke in 1932. The year this photograph was taken, the Dene gained national notoriety as the lair of two desperate foreign criminaIs. These were two Russian searnen, who deserted a ship in the Tyne and, by living off the land, reached Rothbury. Here they were apprehended in a burglary by the local bobby. In the struggle to arrest the men the polieeman was wounded and they fled, eventually going to earth in the Dene. They eventually gave themselves up, one too weak towalk through starvation. and they were jailed for 13 years.

The Fapm-ttle

Wa.lbO -

58. Walbottle, Walbottle Farm, 1910. The farmhouse overlooks the village green from the north. Walbottie probably began as a settlement when the early Saxon Kings of Northumbria built a residence here using stones quarried frorn the nearby Roman Wall. The Venerable Bede, first Saxon historian of these islands, refers to ad murum (town on the wall) as the scat of the King of Northumbria, It was to ad murum that Peada, son ofPenda, heathen King of Mercia, came in 652 A.D. to be baptised by bishop Finan of Lindisfarne. The newly converted prince was then married to Alflaed, daughter of King Oswiu. After the downfall ofthe Saxon kingdom, Walbottle became an agrarian community in the turbulent border marches developing defensively around the village green. Later the nearness of factories and modern de ep mines in neighbouring settlements gave work to its inhabitants without greatly altering its ancient rural plan. It was weil into this century before the village became absorbed into the Tyneside Conurbation by house and road building.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek