Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Paul Bemrose
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Staffordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2455-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

119. There were not many people living in the town between the wars who did not know Mr. Chadwick, the antique dealer, and his shop. One of the houses in this long disappeared row of nineteenth century properties removed to make way for the new civic offices, contained his shop in Merrial Street. The debris in the foreground marks the spot where a on ce busy colony of hatters and feltmakers plied their trade.

120. Church Street and Red Lion Square corner opposite St. Giles' Church entrance about 1896. The technological revolution has arrived! or so claims the window display created by the International Correspondence Schools of London. 'Improve your memory and earn more money if you enrol in our correspondence course.' Such institutions abounded at this time given impetus no doubt by the 1870 Education Act which had provided a basic education for the masses a couple of decades or so previously. At least they could now read what the 'ads' had to say.

121. Lad Lane with the old post office on the extreme left.

122. Goodall and Hargreaves, High Street Auction Rooms and furniture emporium 1895. Before its total demise this building was converted into the 'Regal and Pavillon' cinemas later to be known as the Rex and Rio. See p1ate seven.

123. Early morning in Red Lion Square probably in readiness for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee celebrations. On the right can be seen the town's old weights & measures office which was first sited to the south of the Guildhall in 1835 but removed here in 1876. It was destroyed in 1926.

124. Finally, the town poised for greater things! This mayor choosing group, one of the last to be taken before the borough extended its boundaries in 1932, shows many of the members of the council who were destined to steer the borough through the troub1ed waters of re-organisation and expansion. A daunting task, since the population more than doubled from 23,000 in 1930 to 54,000 a couple of years later.

<<  |  <  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek