Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Paul Bemrose
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Staffordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2455-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. A similar view to the previous one but taken from the south end of the former Penkhull Street. The old covered market can be seen on the left by the figures as can the long established but now defunct family hardware business of George Hollins & Sons, (centre right).

10. This block of buildings, originally the Roebuck Inn, in the High Street, photographed about 1930 was demolished just prior to Wor1d War Il. It was rep1aced by the existing Lancaster Building. Formerly built as a coaching hostelry, it was later converted to accommodate the town's first police station whilst other ground floor areas became shops. The old borough surveyor's office occupied the first floor and one corner of the south end of the building was used as a booking and information office by the up and coming bus undertakings of the Crosville, Midland Red and Potteries companies respectively, The police station was removed to its new premises in Merria1 Street in 1936.

11. Two years have elapsed since the paraphernalia of the tramsystem has been cleared away. This highly evocative study of the north end of the High Street depiets many businesses now long since gone. Kemp's the jewellers, Mandley & Unett, Oxens the chemists and Massey the gunsmith and hardware merchant. A little higher up is the old Boots cash carry chemists where many of the postcards illustrating this book were purchased. Three of the principal cinemas operating in town can also be seen. Only the former Newcastle Cinema later to be known as the 'Plaza' in Nelson Place is missing.

Iron Market &... New Tcwn Ha'l

Newcastle

12. Perhaps of all the buildings in the Ironmarket the one which caused more outrage and controversy when it was demolished was the Municipa1 Hall. Opened in 1890 it was designed to rep1ace the Guildhall as a council chamber and also provide accommodation for public functions, a free library and school of art. As the Guildhall dominated the High Street, so the 'Muni' took pride of p1ace with its imposing clocktower in the Ironmarket. Taken in 1910 whilst at the height of its popularity this view is looking toward Nelson Place with King Street beyend.

13. Built as a golden jubilee memorial to Queen Victoria, the Municipal Hall was designed in the 'Flemish' style by a team of North Staffordshire architects. This delightfully informal photo shows the architects and builders making an inspeetion of the site in 1889.

14. In 1910 the Queen's Gardens were originally enclosed with a high hedge and iron railings. Because of their popularity the gardens were re-designed on a 1ess formal basis and consequent1y became even more popular between the wars. Weil designed flowers beds, borders and intricate carpet bedding became a feature of this pleasance.

15. By contrast with the previous view, this picture of the gardens taken in 1930 shows that they had been provided with considerably more seats. A band stand had also been built to accommodate regular summer concerts which gradually replaced those formerly given in the Stubbs Walks.

16. Reetory Charnbers, Ironmarket 1906. Though still in situ, the fascia has been so radically altered that it is difficult to believe that this building dates back to 1698.

17. A very rare and unusual winter evening portrayal of the Queen 's Gardens and Municipal Hall taken from the front of the old borough treasurer's office in 1910.

18. With the exception of the old Municipal Hall site, almost the first, second and third floor frontages depicted here have remained unaltered however much the street level windows have moved with the times. The site of many old shops can still often be readily identified.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek