Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Paul Bemrose
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Staffordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2455-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. Built originally as a late eighteenth century town house, this building stood at the Barracks Road junction with Nelson P1ace. It was still privately owned in the 1890's but was then acquired by the council for use by its treasurer's department. In the tyrnpanum of its central pediment can be seen a plinth upon which is a bust of Lord Nelson. It seems likely that Nelson Place was named after the bust.

20. At one time it was a1most impossible to escape a confrontation with the somewhat daunting statue of Queen Victoria when in town. Happily in more recent times she has been relegated from Nelson Place to a quieter part of the suburb. Perhaps more importantly can be seen the original frontage of the Newcastle Theatre before it was converted to the 'Electric Theatre' in 1910.

21. As the theatre Iooked in the earIy thirties, refurbished as the 'Plaza' cinema where the films seemed always to be breaking down. (Note card incorrectIy captioned.)

22. It is difficult to imagine the town without its swimming baths, but in fact they are of comparatively recent origin. This card shows the site in Nelson Place. The first town baths were built in School Street in 1852 but soon closed due to mal-administration. The Edward VII Memorial Baths were opened in 1906.

23. An unusual 'birds eye' view of the Nelson Place area. Probably taken from the tower of the Municipal Hall, it clearly shows that it forms the low lying area at the junction of several roads. Until it was drained at the end of the eighteenth century it was in fact a large tract of reed-girt pool. The theatre was one of the first buildings to be erected after draining what was known as 'Coleshull Lake',

24. The extent to which the pool occupied the area can be gained from this angle. Taken in front of the Newcastle Theatre about 1904, the rather grand impression it gives of open spaces and leisurely promenades is sadly no longer a feature of this spot.

25. Brunswick Street about 1926 looking towards George Street with the swimming baths on the right. The Palladian styled building on the 1eft became the town's first telephone exchange and also on ce served as a YMCA hostel.

26. Photographs of Lower Street, one of the older and poorer parts of the town are extreme1y rare. This 1928 view gives a reasonab1e impression of what it looked like between the wars. A few industries such as brewing, woodworking and of course the Holborn Paper Mill were operating but basically this was an area of run-down Georgian and Victorian buildings many of which had become 'doss houses'.

27. There were however one or two non-conformist establishments to 1end some tone to Lower Street as this snapshot of the Wesleyan Lower Street Chape1 illustrates. After 1861, it was taken over by the Methodist Reform Church, a few of whose congregation can be seen in the following plate,

28. A Sunday outing to the country in 1905. This is an interesting study in that it illustrates the apparently wide differences in social strata evident in the party and suggests that the appeal of evangelism at this time was c1ass1ess.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek