Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Paul Bemrose
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Staffordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2455-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle-under-Lyme in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. Part of Hinds Vaults, Lad Lane facing the High Street about 1880. Now demolished, this was one of the town's older timber framed buildings. It had a double gabled front, later to be faced with brick and given two projecting windows surmounted by an early cast-iron balustrade.

30. The fonner junction of Merrial Street with Red Lion Square about 1885. Even a casu al glance through the town directories of this period confirms just how well appointed Newcastle was with ale-houses, pubs and off-licences, Mary Ann Williams was a wen known licensee and her establishment later to be re-named the 'Happy Land Vaults' was very wen patronised indeed as the police report books verify. Next door can be seen 'Pearsons', tailor and hatter, reflecting the towns close association with the production of felt hats which had continued to be the town's staple trade throughout much of the nineteenth century.

31. Church Street from Red Lion Square 1905. Wain's the chemist is another example of a long established family concern reaching into the twentieth century. Note the advertisement in the window for Kodak 'P.O.P' or printing out papers, used by almost every budding amateur photographer in those days.

32. The 'P.E.T.' tram company used single decker stock exclusively because of the many low bridges to be negotiated in the area. Similarly, there were few double tracks along the system because of road width restrictions, 1907.

33. An interesting group of buildings in the High Street, demolished in the late 1950's, now replaced by Messrs. Woolworth's new store and the covered shopping arcade. The three gabled structure was of a timber framed construction and appears to have had Tudor crigins. Taken about 1896, this card well illustrates the miscellany of shops along its frontage and the fact that it was once the Market Inn. To the extreme right of the picture can be seen the opening into Friar Street which in those days was barely wide enough to take a horse and cart.

34. The same area some thirty years later but looking in a southerly direction. The old Market Hall comp1eted in 1854 on the site of the Crown Inn can be seen to the 1eft of the old Woo1worth's 'Threepenny and Sixpenny Store'. Part of the rear premises were used in the late nineteenth century as a riding school for 'young gentlefolk'. Later in 1930 it had been converted into a roller skating rink for 1ess gentle pursuits.

35. At the junction of Bridge Street with Liverpool Road there was for many years a working men's clothiers shop known as the 'Northern Stores Clothing Company'. The firm managed to survive into the 1980's but has now closed its doors to customers for ever. Photograph taken about 1910.

36. Being one of the principal market towns in the area, Newcastle could boast many excellent grocers shops not least of whom was H. Watson's provision warehouse in the Ironmarket. In 1907 this is what the shop and its staff looked like, The premises were later taken over by H. Samuel the chain store jewellers. Today, the site is still occupied by this firm.

37. Fortunately for posterity several photographers did not confine their activities to town centre views alone, and as a resu1t many unusual but nevertheless fascinating records of the town's peripheral areas were produced such as this view of King Street taken in 1900 from outside the former town fire brigade headquarters. It shows the vista looking up past the Borough Hotel whose buildings were once part of the Water Street brewery and prior to that, Bulkeley and Bent's potworks.

38. Obvious1y an unposed and heavily re-touched pan of the northern end of London Road about 1900. It shows the terraeed houses on the 1eft opposite the Ho1y Trinity Church which were built on the site of the town's former sugar refinery,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek