Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. A view of the Black Gate, taken from the other side of the railway line and produced by Judges Limited of Hastings in about 1918. The Black Gate was supposedly named after Patriek Black, an early seventeenth century speculator who built houses in an old lane leading to the entrance. In 1883 the building was leased by the Newcastle Society of Antiquaries from the Corporation and today it has been restored and is open to visitors, The derrick behind the two horse-buses was in the yard of Robert Beall, a sculptor, and the premises of Morris The Writer, signwriter, were in CastIe Square. Immediately behind the derrick is the spire of All Saints' Church. The horse-buses, known as the 'Ha'penny Lop', were operated by Works Contractors Limited of Gateshead and T. Howe of Newcastle jointly from the 18805 until12th June 1931.

10. Running behind Stowell Street, this is the longest remaining section of the old walls built to proteet the Town from the Scots. The doorway in the wall under the lamp was made in 1280 by pennission of Edward lIto al!ow the Black Friars aceess to their large garden which was situated outside the wal! behind which the Friary was built. In the distance, after the rernains of a wall turret, is the Morden Tower. The upper storey was added in 1619120 and the building was used as a meeting hall by the Company of Plumbers, Glaziers, Pewterers and Painters for many years. Even at the time of this posteard which was made in about 1912, the building had been extensively restored and today, after more restoration, Morden Tower is used for poetry readings and other functions.

11. The archway is part of the West Range of the Blackfriars Monastery which was constructed in the thirteenth century and closed as a religious house in the sixteenth century by Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The buildings were purehased by the Mayor and Burgesses of Newcastle and used by some of the Town Guilds as a meeting place. The stairway allowed the Freemen access to the meeting rooms whieh were loeated on the first floor. Three poorly dressed children without shoes ean be seen in this view of about 1910 and they probably lived in some of the buildings which were used as dwelling houses by poorer citizens for many years.

12. This view of the Blackfriars Monastery at the turn of the century shows the Cordwainers' Hall and the Lavatoriurn in the sou th-west corner. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries this was the largest religious house in Newcastle and its almost total survival is due to its use by the Freemen as a meeting place. The coat of arms on the wall of the building to the right is that of the Cordwainers, or shoemakers as they are better known. There are three caged birds on the wall beside the man leaning out of the window in the centre of the photograph . All of the buildings today have been carefully restored by the City Council and are open to visitors, housing a museum, craft centre and café.

13. Another anonymously produced postcard of the Blackfriars Monastery at the turn of the century, this time showing the south range. Above the doorway to the right is the coat of arms of the Smiths' Company, with the motto 'By hamer and hand All artes do Stand, 1679'. Beside the lamp post is a tablet that reads: 'This Hall Repaired by ye Company of Smiths Anno 1770. Stewards JNo Jobling, Robt Robinson, Wm Jamieson, Josh Cooper.' The buildings are still inhabited at this time and it was not until1951 that the last residents left. The City Council rescued the buildings in 1972 after they had remained in a state of decay and began the restoration work.

14. The Sallyport, or Carpenters' or Wal! Knoll Tower, was originally erected between 1299 and 1307 as part of the Town Walls and is today the only surviving gateway. It was altered by the Carpenters' Company in 1716, hence one of its names, and in 1963 it was restored by the Corporation and is today used for private functions. In this photograph the City Road premises of Henry Pooley and Son Limited, weighing machine manufacturers, occupy the lower part of the building. The postcard was published about 1912 by A.H. Herries of C1ayton Road, Newcastle , a small firm which produced many magnificent real photographie viewcards of the City and suburbs, as wel! as several postcards of the building and launches of foreign warships at Elswiek.

15. Another fine card produced by A.H. Herries of Jesmond, this is a view of the magnificent Keelmen's Hospitalon City Raad. The hospital was erected in 1701 for aged and sick Keelmen and their dependents at a cast of 1::2,600 on land granted to them in 1700. The money required for the building was raised by the Keelmen themselves by a levy of fourpence per tide. Keelmen transported coal frorn the staiths to the colliers in oval-shaped, shallow-draughted boats, known as Keels, whieh were steered by a long oar at the rear to serve as a rudder and propelled by another aar at one side. Today the hospital has been restored and divided into flats to serve as student accommodation.

16. An unusual view of Newcastle from the Sallyport Tower in about 1912. The area immediately below All Saints' Church is Pandon, which was at one time a densely populated slum. When the railway viaduct was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century approximately 800 families were displaced as the closely-packed houses were demolished. In the right foreground is the point where City Road divides; the nearer section continuing as City Road and the lower section running into the Milk Market and continuing to the Quayside. In the early nineteenth century, Pandon Dene was a picturesque valley that ran down to the Tyne and was a famed beauty spot that was a favourite place for walks.

17. The interior of the Central Station in about 1904 from an early postcard produced by an unknown publisher . The station was designed by lohn Dobson and constructed between 1846 and 1850, at a cost of flOO,OOO. Officially opened by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on 29th August 1850, the station is one of Newcastle's finest buildings. The curve of the platforms and the vaulted cast-iron roof are of particular architectural merit and engineering skill. On the left, above the exit is one of the pair of plaques of Victoria and Albert that commemorate the Royal opening. The large doek on the right was for many years a favourite rendezvous for Tynesiders.

18. T.H. Dickinson of Gateshead produced this photographic postcard of the east end of the Central Station around 1912. Earlier the junction in the foreground was c1aimed to be the largest railway crossing in the world and this is how it is described on several commercial postcards. One of the early suburban electric trains can be seen at the platform on the right and a North Eastern Railway 4-4-0 steam locornotive is pulling out of the station over the crossing. There was for several years a large signal cabin on top of the signal gantry that can be seen at the ends of the platforms. The steeple in the background belongs to Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedra!. A. W.N. Pugin designed the Cathedral in 1844 and the steeple, designed by Joseph Hansom, was added in the 18708.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek