Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

TJfE NORTJf EASTER.N R.AlLWAY'S NEW ELECTR.IC TRAINS.

Th,. 1=;,."f TrR;n (N"'WCR_~f1,. fn R,.ntnn J Tuesdnv: Msrch 29th. 1904

19. In 1902, the North Eastern Railway decided to electrify its suburban services on Tyneside to regain passenger traffic that was being lost to the electric tramways which had begun in 1901. The first section was opened from New Bridge Street Station to Benton on 29th March 1904 and by July 1904 the line had been extended to Tynemouth on the coast and ran to Newcastle Central via Wallsend. This commemorative card of the inaugural train at New Bridge Street Station was produced by Andrew Reid and Company Limited of 50 Grey Street. Reid also published a companion card that showed the interior of the first train with the bowler-hatted members of the official party sitting in their seats.

?

OLD LOCOMOTIVE ··.'U.V", NEWCASTLE-ON-TVNE

20. A card produced by W.H. Smith in their Kingsway Real Photo Series in 1920 which shows the 0-4-0 locomotive 'Billy' on display at the Central Station. The locomotive is believed to have been designed by George Stephenson for use on the SpringweIl Colliery Railway of Lord Ravensworth and in 1863 transferred to Killingworth Colliery. Presented to the Corporation, it was displayed on a pedestal at the north end ofthe High Level Bridge in June 1881 to commemorate the centenary of George Stephenson's birth. Here it remained until 1896 when it was moved to the Central Station. In 1945, the locomotive was taken to the Science Museum, which was housed in the Palace of Arts building that had been part of the North-East Coast Exhibition of 1929 on the Town Moor, and in 1981 it was transferred to Middle Engine Lane Store, North Shields when the Scîence Museum moved to West B1andford Street.

21. A very busy scene at the Forth Goods Station, belonging to the North Eastem Railway, captured on a postcard by an unidentified publisher in about 1908. The massive variety and quantity of goods transported by rail and horse to destinations all over the country at this time can be clearly seen. The Goods Station is situated to the south-west of the Central Station and it was built in the 1870s between Forth Banks and Forth Lane near the old Infirmary which had existed since 1751. The Forth, or Frith as it was also known, was originally an ancient common outside the Town Walls and this rural area was a favourite place for recreation in the early nineteenth century.

22. The firm of J. & W. Fawcett, general carriers, occupied these premises in Forth Place during 1919 and 1920. Forth Place, and Thornton Street which can be seen in the background, run from the western end of Neville Street to Westgate Road behind Clayton Street West. For some time the firm of W.H. Smith produced their postcards from one of these buildings in the photograph. Immediately behind the fully-laden carts is the Hexham House Inn and to the left is the Cattle Market Hotel which was owned by James Deuchar. According to the board outside his prernises, Fawcett ran a daily carrier service to many of the Newcastle and Gateshead suburbs,

23. Dated 1924, this postcard was produced by the firm of e.O. Hey which had premises in the County Hotel Buildings that appear on the card. The retail postcard shop is immediately above the word 'County' in the inscription. Previously these same prernises had been occupied by A. Denholm Brash, another local postcard publisher . To the left of the County Hotel, which had been built in the 1870s, is the Victoria and Cornet Public House, which had originally been two separate inns, called the Victoria and the Cornet. Next door is one of the Loekhart cafés, opened by local teetotallers as a counter-attraction to the public houses, serving cocoa instead of beer, and found in many parts of Newcastle at this time.

PHENSONS

-----=-

24. The monument to George Stephenson stands at the junction of Westgate Road and Neville Street on the site of the Virgin Mary Hospital which was demolished in the 18408. One of the gate pillars from the Hospital survived and was built into the corner of the Express public house on Westgate Road. The Stephenson monument was designed by John Graharn Lough and unveiled by Lord Ravensworth on 2nd October 1862; the cost of 5,000 having been raised by public subscription. The four stone figures around the base represent the artisans of Tyneside; the miner, the engineer, the navvy and the smith. Also in this view taken in 1906, is the Richard Grainger Memorial, standing in front of the Monument on the west side, but this was later moved to Waterloo Street, The ancient church of Saint John, dating from the fifteenth century, is in the background.

25. Named after Lord Collingwood, Collingwood Street contains many interesting late nineteenth century buildings, housing commercial and insurance offices. The Sun Alliance building on the right was built about 1905 and replaced the old premises of W.R. Pape, a famous gun manufacturer. Barclays Bank was built as a hotel by Oliver and Leeson in 1899-1903; Fire and Union Assurance offices once housed the offices of the Great Northern Railway. The office on the extreme left belongs to Emley and Sons Lirnited, a firm of monumental sculptors, but this had earJier belonged to the Midland Railway Company. The narrow entry on the left between the Bank and Fire and Union Assurance is Pudding Chare, which leads to the Bigg Market. The view dates from about 1912.

26. Unveiled by Countess Grey on 24th April 1903, the statue of Oueen Victoria in Saint Nicholas Square is both a monument to the Oueen and the commemoration of the 500th anniversary of the shrievalty of Newcastle. The monument was the gift of Sir William Haswell Stephenson and was sculpted by Sir Alfred Gilbert, whose best known work is the statue of Eros in Piccadilly, London. To the extreme right is Saint Nicholas Cathedral and in the far distance is Pilgrim Street. The view dates from about 1910 and was produced by W.R. Smith and Son of Newcastle. The shop behind the statue was owned by W.E. Franklin, a bockseller at 42 Mosley Street who always sold a wide selection of picture postcards.

27. This postcard of Saint Nicholas Cathedral was published in the 1920s by Bainbridges, the well-known Newcastle department store. The tower and steeple of the church were built in the mid-fifteenth century by Robert Rhodes, a Newcastle lawyer. The church was extensively restored in the 1870s and in 1882 was granted Cathedral status, becoming the smalle st Cathedra! in the country. The office block on the right is Saint Nicholas Chambers which is situated at the head of the narrow , steep street, known as the Side, which runs down to the Quayside. Doric House, on the left, was opened in August 1922 and contained small shops, but has now been demolished.

LORD COLLIXG\"()OD' BIRTHI'L.'.C~. ;E\·CASTLE.

28. Cuthbert Collingwood was bom in this house at the head of the Side on 26th September 1748 and after a successful career in the navy, he died at sea on 7th March 1810. He was married in Saint Nicholas Church and took over command of the fleet at Trafalgar in 1805 when Nelson was killed. On the centenary of the death of Collingwood, there was a grand Civic procession from the old Town Hall to the Cathedral where a wreath was laid on his bust. The photograph, taken in about 1903, shows Collingwood's birthplace being used as a second-hand clothes shop shortly before its demolition. A large block of offices named Milburn House was built on the site in 1905.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek