Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The Side climbs steeply from the junction with Queen Street in the foreground, goes underneath the Dean Street railway viaduct and, passing Milburn House on the right, emerges near Saint Nicholas Cathedra!. At one time the Side was one of Newcastle's busiest thoroughfares and was the main road north through the Town. The area to the right of the photograph is Butcher Bank, or Akenside Hili named after the poet Mark Akenside, who was bom in a house in this area on 9th November 1721. On the right is Akenside House, built in 1912, and as weIl as Andrew Reid, the publisher, this building contained the offices of several shipping companies including Cairns, Noble on the first floor.

AItE.N5ID& HOUSE. NJtWCUTLL'O'PON.TTNL

30. This postcard of 1912 shows a fine view of Akenside House with Printing Court Chambers on the extreme right. These were the retail premises and offices of the publishing firm of Andrew Reid. Further along Akenside Hili to the right was Printing Court Buildings which housed the firm's lithographic printing works where many superb shipping and railway posters and postcards were produced. The business had commenced in 1845 at 48 Pilgrim Street and for a time the lithographic printing was carried out at 50 Grey Street. The firm moved from Akenside House and Printing Court Buildings in 1926 to Strawberry House near Gallowgate when the approach road for the new Tyne Bridge was under construction.

31. A view of the houses on SandhilI, opposite the Guildhall, which were the homes of wealthy merchants until the end of the eighteenth century. They still retain much of the original sixteenth and seventeenth century building work. The café and cocoa rooms, belonging to J. Forster , occupy Surtees House from which Bessie Surtees eloped on 18th November 1772 with John Scott, who became Lord Chancellor and First Earl of Eldon. The other houses in this view taken about 1908 are today known collectively as the Red House but at this time the original Red House is that occupied by the firm of British Anti-Fouling Compositions and Paints Limited. Bell and Dunn was a firm of ship store merchants and V.A. Montaldi, who occupied the rooms above, was a coal merchant and Italian Vice-Consul.

32. An unusual photograph of All Saints' Church from King Street which was taken in the 1930s and has been heavily retouched by the photographer. The church, designed by David Stephenson, was built between 1786 and 1796 at a cost of f.27,000 and was erected on the site of a medieval church called All Hallows. Inside the elliptical church, one of the few in England, used to be the largest commemorative brass in the country, in memory of Roger Thornton, a Newcastle merchant, and his wife, who died in 1429 and 1411 respectively. Roger Thornton was Mayor of Newcastle nine times, one of its Parliamentary representatives and his life story is likened to Dick Whittington. Alocal rhyme states: 'At the Westgate came Thornton in, With a hap, and a halfpenny , and a lamb's skin.' The brass now hangs in Saint Nicholas Cathedral for safety.

33. One of a long series ofpostcards published by C.O. Hey, underthe tradename ofthe 'Oswald' Series, from about 1908 to 1910. Queen Street is directly ahead, to the left is the steep Akenside Hill, formerly Butcher Bank, and to the right is SandhilI and the river. The photographer is standing at the foot of the Side, almost at the premises of William Brennan, a tobacconist. Ahead are the Victorian offices which replaced the buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of 1854. The block at the head of Queen Street is the Royal Insurance Building, which contained the offices of the Royal Insurance Company, various coal-owning and ship-owning companies, and in 1912, Gregson's Café.

34. Another card in the 'Oswald' Series depicting the Guildhall on the Quayside in about 1910. Originally built by Robert Trollop of Y ork in 1655, the building has been extensively altered over the years by several different architects, including David Stephenson, William Newton and John Dobson. The Commercial Exchange was on the ground floor and continued to function unti11963. To the left of the Guildhall is the funnel of a steamer ried up at the Quay and buildings on the Gateshead side of the river can be seen rising steeply in the background. The Exchange Walk was an annual event started in 1903 and held during Race Week for a silver Challenge Bowl presented by the Commercial Exchange. The Walk was about forty miles long from the Newcastle boundary on the West Road to Haltwhistie.

35. The Long Stairs is one of the steep flights of steps connecting the area by the river called The Close to the high ground above. A continuation of Sandhill, The Close is the site of the old Mansion House which was destroyed by fire in 1895 when in use as a timber warehouse. The High Level Bridge in the background was designed by Robert Stephenson to carry rail traffic on the upper level and a roadway suspended underneath on the lower level. The Bridge opened for rail traffic on 13th August 1849 and for road traffic on 5th February 1850. A formal opening ceremony was performed by Queen Victoria on 28th September 1849. Various tolls were charged for use of the Bridge, including a halfpenny for pedestrians, but all the tolls ceased on 10th May 1937.

36. A view taken from the High Level Bridge on Coronation Day 1911, showing the Swing Bridge in the open position to allow the large cargo ships to pass through. Work on the Swing Bridge commenced on 23rd September 1868 and it was opened for road traffic and pedestrians on 25th June 1876. The whole superstructure was built by Sir W.G. Armstrong and Company at their Elswiek Works and transported down the river. The Swing Bridge enabled ships to sail up river west of Newcastle to load coal from thc North- West Durham Coalfield and the warships built at Elswiek to sail down the Tyne to the sea. There are a wide variety of ships to bc seen in the photograph and several sailing ships are berthed at thc Quayside.

37. Armstrong Whitworth's Elswiek Works form the background to this photograph ofthe launch ofthe battle cruiser 'Invincible' on 13th April 1907. Armstrong's built many famous battleships at these Works, including the Japanese 'Yashima'; the British 'Monarch'; the Chilean 'Alrnirante Latorre' and the Brazilian 'Minas Geraes'. The postcard was produced by Godfrey Hastings of Whitley Bay and Newcastle. Hastings took over the business of Matthew Auty after Auty had died in 1895 and picture postcards were produced by Hastings from Auty's plates as weil as his own. The court size cards that Hastings issued from 1898 to 1900 are the earliest commerciaUy produced cards to be found of Newcastle and the surrounding areas.

38. The view of the four bridges across the River Tyne is from a postcard of 1920 published by Lindsay and Company of 33 Nelson Street in the 'Lindsay' Series. The bridge nearest the camera is the Redheugh Bridge, a road bridge constructed in 1901 to replace the existing bridge which had been erected in 1871. The King Edward VII railway bridge is next and it was formally opened by the King on 10th July 1906. This bridge was designed by Charles Harrison, Chief Engineer of the North Eastern Railway Company, and was erected by the C1eveland Bridge Engineering Cornpany. It was built to meet the increased volume of rail traffic and to enable trains to run through north or south without a change of locomotive at the Central Station. The other two bridges in the distance are the High Level Bridge and Swing Bridge, opened in 1850 and 1876 respectively.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek