Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

QIEW ON (§YNE.

TYNE PENER,A.L HALF-HOUR SAILINGS t TYNEMOUTH FARES'

FR OM . ?

QUAYSIOE, NEWCASTLE )

fERRY POMPA.NY,

60. SINGLE. SHIELOS FARES: 40. SINGLE.

9~ RETURN. 60. RETUR~

39. One of a series of twelve different 'Views on the Tyne' issued by Andrew Reid and Company in 1905. Each postcard had a different illustration, details of the fares of the Tyne General Ferry Company and an appropriate literary or historical quotation. This view shows one of the floating landing stages belonging to the Ferry Company that was moored at the Quayside. Regular sailings took pi ace both up and down the River Tyne and, as weil as providing a well-used local transport service, the ferries were popular with day trippers. Many happy outings were provided for children from the Newcastle Sunday Schools to the coast at North and South Shields and Tynemouth.

ONE EYED SCOTTY. NEWCASTLE QUAYSJOE.

40. The Sunday Quayside Market dates from the 18808 when it mainly consisted of ice cream sellers, sarsaparilla stalls and entertainers. The Market has always been a favourite pi ace for soapbox orators and several can be seen surrounded by large audiences on this postcard of 1917 by W.H. Smith and Son. One Eyed Scotty had a regular pitch where he stood in racing jockey silks selling tips on horses. The crowd seems to be composed mainly of men in their Sunday-best suits and caps or boaters. A great deal of attention is being paid to the photographer who must have used a precarious perch to obtain the photograph. The Market is still held today but it has lost much of its character and the traditional aspect has been lost to commercialism.

41. R. J ohnston and Sons of Gateshead and Newcastle produced many superb postcards of Tyneside and Northumberland and Durham from about 1902 until the early 1950s. There are over 15,000 numbered cards in the 'Monarch' Series and many unnumbered cards are also to be found. This postcard was issued in the 1930s as one of a promotion al set of sixteen publicising the services of E.W. Younger and Company Limited of 86-90 Quayside, Newcastle and 35 Jewry Street London. The Company were transport contractors and storage specialists and in this view goods from a ship at the Quayside are being unloaded on to one of the Company's steam wagons. In the background to the left are the soap works of Thomas Hedley, the firm which became Procter and Gamble Limited.

42. Another set of postcards by Johnston depiets the building of the New Tyne Bridge and numbers at least 51 cards, all of different stages of the construction photographed over the period 1927-1928 at short intervals. The view that I have selected is number 29 taken on 11 th J anuary 1928 which shows the two sides of the span arching out to meet each other from the opposite banks of the Tyne. Many buildings were c1eared on the Newcastle and the Gateshead sides to make way for the approach roads. The New Tyne Bridge was officially opened on 10th October 1928 by King George V. Johnston and other local postcard publishers issued cards to commemorate the opening. The span of the arch is 531 feet and the total cost of erecting the bridge was over one million pounds.

43. An interesting view of Newcastle from the Swing Bridge in 1927 which shows the Fish Market of 1880 to the left of the Swing Bridge and the spire of the Cathedral in the background. The commanding position of the Keep is evident and the Cast1e Stairs leading up to the Castle Yard are clearly visible. The postern gate of the cast1e can be seen between the Stairs and the Cathedral spire. High on the right is the Moot Hall designed by William Stokoe and built 1810-1812 to house the County Assize Court. Wallace's Bonded Stores and the premises of John Lee, shipping buteher, are typica! ofthe businesses to be found along the Quayside befere the decline of the shipping trade. The Tyne Bridge Hotel was for many years a farniliar sight in the building on the extreme right.

44. Thomas Ferens was born blind and partially paralysed in 1841 and became orphaned at the age offive. He became a beggar on the old Tyne Bridge and was known locally as Tommy on the Bridge. The BIue Stone on the old bridge marked the boundary between Newcastle and Gateshead and Tommy stood on the boundary, moving to one side or the other if a polieeman from either Force approached him. After the opening of the Swing Bridge in 1876, Tommy used this bridge as his regular pitch and he would be seen in all weathers begging for coins. Several commercial postcards were produced ofhim but this unusual photograph was taken in 1906, shortly before his death. Tommy died on New Year's Day 1907 and the cause of death on the death certificate is stated to be 'Apoplexy, accelerated by exposure to severe weather and cold'.

45. From 1921 to 1922, the High Level Bridge was strengthened to enable it to carry electric trams on the lower deck and by 1923 the trams were able to run over the Bridge, linking the N ewcastle Corporation and Gateshead services, thus permitting through running between Neweastle and Gateshead. The postcard is one of a series by an unidentified publisher produced to commemorate the event. Workmen are busy outside the Castle Garage repairing the road, while the trams and private cars are queuing to pass. One of the horse-drawn buses whieh were still in use at this time is passing under the lefthand side of the railway arch. The severe traffic congestion on the High Level Bridge was one of the factors that led to the building of the New Tyne Bridge a few years later.

46. The portico of the Central Station dominates this view of Neville Street in the late 1910s from a postcard by Johnston in the 'Monarch' Series. The original plan for the portico by John Dobson was rejected by the North Eastern Railway and this design by the Company's architect, Thomas Presser, was accepted instead. Built in 1860, the portico became a favourite venue for fruit sellers. Several hotels were built in the vicinity for the benefit of rail passengers including the Station Hotel, the Douglas Hotel and the County Hotel. A group of uniformed taxi drivers are standing beside their vehic1es, enjoying their cigarettes while they wait for passengers. Above the taxi in the foreground is a pawnbroker's sign outside the Sun Hotel.

47. Pilgrim Street is one of the oldest streets in Newcastle and is supposedly named after the pilgrims using the road to reach the chapel at Jesmond. The ornate white building is the Northern Conservative and Unionist Club and on each side are two early garages owned by R.E. Hale and Company and Kirsop. Murray and Company Limited. Further along, on the same side, is the tall Pearl Assurance Building, constructed in 1904. The junction with New Bridge Street became known as Cock's Corner when the travel agent occupied the ground floor shop in the building. The workshops of Atkinson and Philipson, the famous coachbuilders, were established at 27 Pilgrim Street in 1794 and closed in 1915. The firm was responsible for the first railway passenger coach which was built for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. On the left is number 28 Pilgrim Street, the prernises of Peter Small, a gunmaker, with W. Blakey, chartered accountant, in the rooms above. The photograph was taken in 1911 and issued as a postcard under the 'E.A.S.' trademark.

Copyri,AI.

NortbumlHrlAnd Streel. NewcAsIJe-on-Tyne.

1/9833

48. Northumberland Street is the continuation northwards of Pilgrim Street and was a residential area, partieularly favoured by doctors, before it developed into a busy shopping centre. Brunswick Place, leading to Brunswiek Chapel, is to the leftofFenwicks and further alongwas the Wesley Orphan House foundedin 1743. The photograph, taken about 1923, shows a boy in uniform standing in the road ready to change the tram points at the crossroads. On the righthand side of the street are the premises belonging to Amos Atkinson, bootmaker , which are still in the same building today, although the frontage was elaborately decorated for the Coronation in 1953. Above the shop is an advertisement for the Queen's Hall Picture House which had opened in 1911. The musie showroom of Frederick T. Clarke was at 12A Northumberland Street from 1921 until1924 and the star a little further along was outside the Star Hotel, which belonged to Robert Deuchar Limited.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek