Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. John James Fenwiek opened his first shop at 5 Northumberland Street, a forrner doctor's residence, on 23rd March 1882 with a staff of two assistants. By 1883, he had acquired the adjoining premises and began to establish the famous department store. The loeal architect, W.H. Knowles, was engaged to design the shopfront, and his design was a sensation when the new premises opened. This advertising postcard of 1913 shows the later shopfront designed by Cyril Lyons in 1912 and the extended façade built on the site of the Oak Leaf public house. The bold Fenwiek signature was used as a trademark from 1901 to 1962. The small shop on the left belonged to David Summerfield, jeweller, until it was aequired by Fenwicks in 1933. The elegant window displays have always been a feature of the store and shoppers are always fascinated by the animated displays at Christmastime.

H.NWICk·S TERRACE TEA ROOM.

50. This postcard, dated 1913, shows the Terrace Tea Room which overlooked Northumberland Street and has always been a popular meeting place for shoppers taking a break. After the First World War, a band played to entertain the customers while they had coffee, luncheon or afternoon tea. Guy Bland and the Terrace Tea Room Band was a favourite entertainer between the Wars and on one occasion in 1938, Jack Hylton and bis Band played here. By the 1920s, Fenwicks had purchased a lot of property to the rear of Northumberland Street in Elswiek Court and were able to extend the store to Blackett Street, near the Monument. Today the store also connects to the Eldon Square Shopping and Leisure Complex.

51. With the success of Fenwicks, other department stores were attraeted to Northurnberland Street. On Wednesday 14th September 1932, British Home Stores opened a shop at number 110. The following day, the Lord Mayor opened a branch of the Dutch firm of C. and A. Brenninkmeyer (known as C & A Modes) at numbers 78-84. The next day, Friday 16th September 1932, Marks and Spencer Limited opened a shop on the other side of the street at number 89. This postcard was produced soon after these openings and at the far end of the block is J. Woodhouse and Son, house furnishers. C & A Modes are under the central square tower and British Home Stores occupies the corner site at the end of Northumberland Road. Large crowds have been attracted to the block and British Horne Stores has styled itself the '3/- and 5/- Store'.

52. Dame Allan's Endowed Schools wcre set up in 1877, based on the Charity School of Saint Nicholas which had been originally founded by Dame Eleanor Allan in 1705. These premises were purpose-built in 1882 to a design by R.J. Johnson at the junction of Northumberland Road and College Street, on the site of the former Northumberland County Cricket Club ground. The school moved to its present position in Fowberry Crescent, Fenham in 1935. Nextto the school, on this 1920s postcard by Johnston of Gateshead, is Saint James' Congregational Church, designed by T. Lewis Banks and built in 1884. On theextreme leftofthe photograph is the Saint George's Drill Hall of the Sixth Northumberland Fusiliers situated between College Street and Saint Mary's Place.

53. Behind Dame Allan's School is the Newcastle School of Medicine which had started in 1832 in Bell's Court, Pilgrim Street. After moving to various sites in the Town, the School of Medicine came to this building in 1889. In 1937, the School of Medicine combined with Armstrong College and moved to premises in Queen Victoria Road, opposite the Royal Victoria Infirmary. The new buildings were opened by King George VI on 21st February 1939. The Newcastle Dental School and Hospital occupied the vacated College Street buildings. On the right of the photograph, hidden by trees, are the Northumberland Baths which were replaced by the present City Baths in 1928. Further down, just visible bebind the trees, is Burt Hall, designed by John W. Dyson in 1895 and erected by the Northumberland Miners' Association in honour of Thomas Burt, the politician.

54. The South African War Memorial at the junction of Northumberland Street and Percy Street was unveiled by Sir Laurence Oliphant on 22nd June 1908 to commemorate those who feil in the Boer War. The seulptor was Thomas Eyre Macklin. The figure on top represents Victory and the figure below is Northumbria offering a palm to her fallen sons who are listed on the four shields around the base. The site for the monument was given by the Corporation, who also granted the honorary freedom of Newcastle to every local soldier who had participated in the war. The photographic postcard of the unveiling ceremony was produced by J. Taylor of 31 Carrick Street, Newcastle in his 'Rolyat' Series. Every available vantage point has been taken by the spectators, some of whom are on the roofs of shops in Northumberland Street and others are on the advertising hoardings beside the oyster saloon belonging to 1. V. Henderson.

55. A photograph by A.H. Herries, taken in about 1908, soon after the War Memorial had been unveiled. In medieval times the Leper Hospital stood in this approximate spot near to the Barras Bridge. The church was designed by John Dobson in 1830 and is dedicated to Saint Thomas à Becket, although it was intended to serve as a Chapel to the Hospital Of Saint Mary Magdalene. The War Memorial is situated on the former Parade Ground which became known as the Haymarket from 1824, when hay and straw were sold at an open-air market held there. The street facing the camera is Saint Mary's Place, in which was situated Lovaine Hall, housing the Bewick Club and the headquarters of the Tyneside Geographical Society.

56. The Commercials' Memorial, beside Saint Thomas Church in Barras Bridge, was the gift of the shipowner Sir George Renwick and his wife. Designed by Sir William Goscombe John, the monument was unveiled by the Prince of Wales on 5th July 1923. The memorial is also known as 'The Response' and it commemorates the raising of the B. Company 9th Battalion, and the 16th, 18th and 19th Service Battalions Northumberland Fusiliers, by the Newcastle and Gateshead Chamber of Commerce from August to October 1914. The ceremony in the photograph is being filmed by a man with a cumbersome movie camera in the crowd on the right. The grounds of Saint Thomas had been laid out as a smal! park since the 1890s.

57. Many parts of Newcastle, especially Jesmond and Walker, suffered from heavy flooding in September 1913 after torren ti al rainstorms and several postcards were produced commemorating the event. This view, taken on 16th September, shows Barras Bridge, Sandyford Road and the North Road under several feet of water. The smal! building on the right is a former toll house which for many years was used as a Post Office, but has now been demolished. Beyond the trams can be seen the houses in Saint Mary's Terrace, Jesmond Terrace and Lovaine Row. The coupled pair of class ' A' tramcars are forcing their way northwards through the floodwater on route number 7 which ran from the Central Station to Osbome Road.

58. The Armstrong Memorial, sculpted by Hamo Thorneycroft, was unveiled on 24th July 1906 by the Duke of Northumberland. The statue stands outside the Hancock Museum on ground donated by the Natural History Society to whom Lord Armstrong had been a benefactor. At Armstrong's feet lies his favourite Dandie Dinmont dog and later the simple words 'Armstrong, 1810-1900' were added to the pedestal. The two bronze plaques each side of the pedestal represent the Swing Bridge on one side and on the other the Elswiek Works, with a battleship and a hydraulic crane carrying a large gun aboard. This commemorative postcard was produced by David M. Black, a photographer at 93 Warton Terrace, Heaton.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek