Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Sydenham Terrace was a typical weil-built row of houses constructed in about 1865 which faced the North Road just north of the Hancock Museum. The other streets in this small area beside the Moor were Devonshire Terrace, Kensington Terrace and Park Terrace. This postcard by Herries of Jesmond was issued in 1908 and at this time the houses were mainly occupied by surgeons and shipowners. Between Devonshire Terrace and C1aremont Raad was the new Hospitalof Saint Mary Magdalene built in 1874. The trustees of the Hospital built a Home for Incurables on land they owned at Spital Tongues in 1894 and this later became the Saint Mary Magdalene Home. In the 1960s, Sydenham Terrace was demolished and new University buildings were erected on the site.

60. Situated at the north end of Brandling Park, the Stephens Memorial Fountain was sculpted by William Donaldson of Newcastle and paid for by public subscription. William Davies Stephens was a famous shipowner, Chairman ofthe Tyne-Tees Shipping Company and a staunch Methodist. A strict teetotaller, he was mainly responsible for the founding of the annual Temperanee Festival on the Town Moor. The postcard by R. Gibson shows the well-attended unveiling ceremony by Thomas Burt on 2nd May 1908. At his death, Stephens had been living nearby in Abbotsford Terrace, Jesmond. Today the Memorial Fountain has been tumed around and faces the Fleming Memorial Hospital.

61. The Royal Grammar School is the oldest school in Newcastle. Founded in the sixteenth century, it has had a number of homes and for many years was in Rye Hili. In 1906 the school moved to these purpose-built premises in Eskdale Terrace, Jesmond and is still there today. Designed by Sir Edwin Cooper, the spacious buildings and playing fields were officiallyinaugurated by the Duke ofNorthumbedand in January 1907. The school playing fields were originally tennis courts and a football field between Brandling Park and Eskdale Terrace. This unusual view of the school was photographed by G. Lindsay from the tower of Jesmond Church in 1912. Brandling Village spreads across the righthand background with the Fleming Children's Hospital beyond and the large open expanse of the Town Moor in the distance.

62. Originally a portion of the Town Moor, Brandling Park was created in 1878 to meet the increasing recreational needs of the inhabitants of Newcastle. The Park, near Brandling Village on the North Road, was well laid out with trees, shrubs and flowers, together with a small lake and a fountain. The Brandling family, after whom the Park and Village are named, owned large areas of Felling and later Gosforth from the sixteenth to the midnineteenth centuries. This postcard by Harry O. Thompson of 202, Portland Raad, Jesmond shows the bowling green and pavilion in the 1920s. A group of nannies with their charges are on the seats to the right.

Flemming ~Iemoxial Hospital, _. ewcastle.

63. Situated north of Brandling Village is the Fleming Children's Hospital built at the sole expense of John Fleming, alocal solicitor, in memory of bis wife Mary. The Fleming (spe lIed with only one m) Hospital was designed in 1887 by J.S. Quilter and cost f23,000 to build. Opened by Lord Armstrong in 1888, it was erected on the former ground of the Newcastle Cricket club who played there from 1877 to 1887. This early postcard was produced by Richard E. Ruddock who at one time worked with Matthew Auty as a portrait photographer before setting up on his own as a view publisher. In 1904, Ruddock Limited claimed in an advertisement to be one of the largest publishers of view postcards in the North of England. Ruddock's photographic studio was at 2 Pilgrim Street, above the Grand Café which was on the corner of Pilgrim Street and Blackett Street and later oecupied by Northern Goldsmiths.

64. This is one ofthe postcards from the 'Real Photo' Series produced by T.H. Dickinson of Gateshead in 1908. The class ' A' tramcar belonging to Newcastle Corporation Tramways is travelling north towards Gosforth, passing the end of Park Terrace. Before the roofs were fitted, between 1905 and 1907, these trams were nicknamed 'Coffins' , because of the coffin-like shape of the top deck. The large house at the end of Park Terrace was built as a model dwelling for the 1887 Jubilee Exhibition. When the photograph was taken, the house was in use as the North Road Police and Fire Station, but it was demolished in the 19605 to make way for the new Central Motorway exit wad. The small building on the right was at the entrance to the Pinfold, a compound to house stray cattIe.

BULL PARK. NEWCASTLE-oN-TYNE

65. The Bull Park, or Recreation Ground, was part of the Town Moor opposite Brandling Park that became a public park in 1878. The lake in the picture was originally a reservoir to supply water to Newcastle. After 1929, the Park was renamed Exhibition Park in honour of the North-East Coast Exhibition that had taken place there. On the skyline to the right is the Sick Children's Hospital (Fleming Memorial) and to the left is the Saint Andrew's Cemetery. Between these, hidden by the trees and the pavilion, are the Northem Counties Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Abbott and Philipson Memorial Orphanage. The postcard is dated 1910 and was produced by W.H. Smith in their long-running 'Forth' Series.

66. J. Taylor of 31, Carrick Street, Byker issued this postcard of the annual Temperanee Festival on the Town Moor in 1907. The Festival was started by a committee of people who were prominent in the Temperanee Movements in 1882 as a counter-attraction to the drinking that took place during the horse racing held on the Moor. The races moved to Gosforth Park in 1882 but the Festival or 'Hoppings' continues today albeit much changed from the original event. The Hoppings are always held during the last week in June which is known locally as 'Race Week'. The helter-skelter and roundabouts dominate this scene but many of the small sideshows are in evidence. Today the Big Wheel towers above the Fair, The Waltzers provide the popular rides and there is an abundance of bingo stalls.

NEWCASTLE HOPPINGS. GREENWATER POOL J81"

67. During the First World War, the annual Hoppings was held in Jesmond Vale nearthe Greenwater Pool after a dispute had arisen between the Freemen and the Corporation over damage to the Town Moor. This photograph by W.R. Smith was taken in 1914 from Armstrong Bridge across Benton Bank,looking towards Armstrong and Reaton Parks in the distance. At this time the rides were steam-driven and the Jolly Joy Wheel is being run by a showman's engine which would also pull the dismantled ride in a large container wagon to the next venue. The showmen travelled to the Fair in caravans and these are to be seen parked behind the helterskelter. After the war, the Hoppings returned to its usual site on the Town Moor.

461

JESMOND VAl.E. NEWCASTLE-ON.TYNE.

68. Another postcard by W.H. Smith photographed further down the Ouseburn at Jesmond Vale in 1914. The village at Jesmond Vale was established in the early nineteenth century for workers from the local quarries and mines close to the Ouseburn. The view shows the local school house on the left, with Heaton Park behind it, and the stone bridge over the river below one of the entrances to the Park. Woodbine Terrace and the Village are to the right and the terrace houses of Stratford Road, Heaton are along the skyline. From the right of the photograph, the Ouseburn runs through a culvert to the North Eastern Railway viaduct at Byker. In 1907, the Newcastle ratepayers strongly objected to the f200,OOO spent on covering the stream and the project was ridiculed in cartoons and on comic postcards.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek