Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Airey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4581-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newcastle upon Tyne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Stotes Hall was originally built in 1607 from an existing farmhouse and was purchased in 1658 by Sir Richard Stote, after whom it was known. The celebrated mathematician, Doctor Charles Hutton, taught there in the mid-eighteenth century and it was the scene of the novel 'Ten Thousand a Year' by Samuel Warren. The postcard is one of a set of six sold in a packet by Philipson and Son of Newcastle for one shilling in the 19305. The other cards in the series show the interior of the Hall with the original Jacobean fireplaces, the garden and the old doorway dated 1607. The Hall, which was in Jesmond Dene Road overlooking the Dene, was demolished in the 1950s.

70. In 1883, Sir William Armstrong presenred Jesmond Dene and the Banqueting Hall with its furniture and paintings to the City for the benefit of its inhabitants. The Ouseburn flows the length of the Dene and near the north entrance to the Dene are the well-known stepping stones, waterfall and the old water-mill which fonn a picturesque scene often painted by artists and much photographed. The mill, believed to have been built during the reign of Charles II, was at one time a working flint mill. The Park was officially opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on Wednesday 20th August 1884, when they also opened the Public Reference Library in Newcastle. The foJlowing day, they sailed down the Tyne on board the 'Para-E-Amazonas', to open the new Albert Edward Doek at North Shields.

71. James Blacklock was a grocer who owned this smal! shop at 20 Jesmond Vale, in the area of Jesmond Vale known as "The Bottom'. This postcard was posted on 8th July 1906, addressed to John Nesbit, a wholesale grocer at 97, Pilgrim Street, and has been used to order, 'one stone of best sugar laaf in bulk to be sent by cart'. The card is one of several interesting views of Jesmond Vale which Blacklock used as order cards and were probably photographed by Blacklock's son, who became a photographerfor the Evening ChronicIe. The horsedrawn brake in the photograph belonged to James Turnbull who was a cart proprietor at 5 Goldspink Lane in nearby Sandyford. There is na indication of what the occasion is but as everybody is sa well-dressed it is possibly a special Sunday outing to one of the loeal beauty spots.

72. At the southem entrance to Heaton Park stands Heaton Library, the gift of Alderman Sir William Haswell Stephenson. Opened in 1899, the building contained alending library and magazine, news and ladies' rooms and is still in use today as a branch library of the Newcastle City Libraties. In Heaton Park are the fragmentary remains of a thirteenth century fortified house which is known as King John's Palace. A mock temple, designed by William Newton in 1783, built in honour of Sir Matthew White Ridley of Heaton Hall byhis tenants, at one time used to stand in the Park but it was transferred to Blagdon Hall, the later seat of the Ridleys.

NORTH~N GJ;:NRR .?. L Hn.<รถ.PIT AL R .?.??. e-; A RMS,TRON(;, r.oL~E_ NEWCA..STLE..oN_ TYNE.

73. This postcard produced in 1916 by A.H. Herries of Clayton Road shows Armstrong College in use as an emergency hospital by the Royal Army Medical Corps during the First World War. Armstrong Building on Queen Victoria Road was designed by the prolific local architect William Henry Knowles. Several other buildings connected with the College were designed by Knowles, including the Gateway to the Quadrang1e in 1911, the Art School in 1911 and the School of Agriculture in 1913. On the left in the background is College Raad Presbyterian Church which was built in 1900 and later used by the Electrical Engineering Department. Also in the background can be seen the Church of Saint Thomas at Barras Bridge.

ARMSTRONC COLLECE. NEWCASTLE-UPO -TV E ENGIN[[l:UNG L. ??? BOA .?? TOAY

74. Armstrong College was named in memory of Lord Armstrong and many different postcards were produced of the College for the students and visitors to the City. This postcard is one of a series by an unknown publisher and was possibly photographed by James Bacon of Northumberland Streel. The series depicted general views of the College and the Halls as wel! as several of the laboratories, including the Engineering Laboratory and the Johnston Chemica! Laboratory. The main block of buildings, including Armstrong Building, was opened by King Edward VII in 1906. The College became King's College in 1937 and today is part of Newcastle University. New departments have been added over the years and today the University buildings extend to both sides of Claremont Road.

ARMSTRONC COLLECE. NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE VIEW F"FtOM THE TOW"" MOOR

75. A panoramic view of Armstrong College and the north-west part of Newcastle from the Town Moor appear on this postcard produced during the First World War. Claremont Road runs along the !ine of trees in the foreground and the area called Chimney Mills is to the left. Saint Luke's Chapel is on the extreme left and at this time the old windmill houses the headquarters of the Newcastle United Golf Club. The chimney and buildings at the end of Chimney Mills belonged to the brewery of W. B. Reid and Company. On the extreme right of the photograph is part of the Royal Victoria Infirmary and the area called Cast1e Leazes, which includes Leazes Park.

OLO WINOMILL NEWCASTLE-DN-TYNE

76. This fine close-up view of the old windmill at Chimney Mills is from a postcard published by W.H. Smith in 1914. The five-sail com mill, which was in operation untiI1891, was designed in 1782 by John Smeaton, who also designed the first Eddystone Lighthouse. In 1892, the windmill became the clubhouse for the City of Newcastle Golf Club, whichhad been formedin 1891 and had laid out a course on theTown Moor. In 1907, the Club transferred to the Three Mile Bridge at Gosforth and the members who remained continued to use the course and clubhouse as the Newcastle United Golf Club. The windmilllost its sails in 1924 and has been used as an architect's office and is at present used by a firm of clothes designers.

77. A view of the Town Moor photographed by Frank of Gateshead and probably taken from the tower of Armstrong College. In the foreground is Queen Victoria Road, Claremont Road runs to the left and Park Terrace is to the right. The houses in the foreground at the right are part of Eldon Street and have n

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek