Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2745-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Construction of the promenade wall in November 1879. The steps down which so many happy feet tread every summer to the sand beach, are just being built. This picture shows the slope of the cliffs and the white shirts of some of the navvies, to the right, starting another dig. The area between the wall and the shingle beach has not yet been filled with the cliff spoil.

40. From the sea wall around where is now the sand beach, contractors huts litter the area we see covered with grass. The space between the shingle and the wall was filled in with chalk and rubble from the cliffs to the west. The right hand section of the concrete wall on the Fort slipped down in the early 1960's. In the extreme right of the picture ean be seen the lighthouse keeper's wooden residence. To the left of this is today the Loeal and Maritime Museum. The picture was taken in December 1879.

41. A scene in November 1881 shows the massive steam concrete mixer, situated towards the southern end of now East Quay, where the concrete was prepared for the foundations of the breakwater. Moored beneath the spout is the steam hopper 'Trident' specially built for the task, Into her hold would be positioned a large tarpaulin bag, into which 104 tons of concrete was poured. The bag was then laced over and the 'Trident' would steam out to the site of the foundations and would drop the bag through her opening bottom.

42. The breakwater under construction, low tide, August 1883. Foundations have been established by dropping bag on bag of 104 tons of concrete until a level above low tide water is achieved, then the upper works ean be built using conventional wooden shuttering.and concrete prepared by asteam mixer on the breakwater which ean be seen to the left of the overhanging structure.

43. The part completed breakwater 1882-83, aJready an impressive piece of structure achieved with such Iimited equipment. The beach to the left is now all sand and that to the right, shingle, the 'Fricker' rocks have all disappeared from sight. For the building of the breakwater a new harbour company was formed in 1878, work started in 1879 and finished in 1893. The length is 2,700 feet, 175,000 tons of concrete were used and including new piers and the East Quay the cost was upwards of six hundred thousand pounds!

'-

44. Umbrellas, as sun shades, indieate that the Newhaven Regatta of 7th August 1882 has struck lovely weather. Special trains were run from London, Brjghton and Eastbourne. Two hundred pounds was spent on a firework display and three hundred in prizes; a lot of money in those days, The large paddle steamer is the 'Alexandra', a one time Newhaven-Dieppe packet, but here an excursion steamer operated by a Hastings company. Beyend the group of sailing craft ean be seen the hopper 'Trident' which was 'committee boat' for the day,

45. The attractive west pier lighthouse about 1885. On the left is suspended the fog bell. Before radar, when themail boats were seeking the harbour in dense fog, maroons would be fired to bring them within range of the foghorn at the breakwater end. Then later, the bell would be rung to indicate the harbour mouth. Dwing to a foundations slip of the west pier in the 1970's, this lovely lighthouse became unsafe and was blown up.

46. The 'end product' after all the disturbance from 1879 onwards, culminating in a wider harbeur entrance, new east and west piers, a promenade reclaimed from the sea, with cliff infill and a magnificent new breakwater. This impressive picture of about 1903, shows the S.S. 'Arundel' entering what must have been paradise for the masters of these fast but 'tender' steamers, compared with the harbour approaches of the earlier period. Shingle has since built up to the west of the breakwater. but in this picture the sea still laps the promenade at high water.

47. The wonderful swing bridge, opened to the public after noon on 22nd December 1866. Unlike the one it replaced, this was free to all users, It was turned by a removable capstan, with four poles each pushed by two men. The houses are Denton Terrace with the 'Railway Hotel' to the right. These disappeared with the construction of the railway fly over. In this picture, the 'New Cut' has been made, but the North Quay as such was not constructed until the latter part of the last century.

48. Some time soon after 1905, the Newhaven built and registered 'Sussex Maid', takes on chalk ballast from the quarry. Her last years were spent in bringing coal from the Tyne for the local 'Co-op'. Alongside her is Richard R. Collard's pleasure steamer 'Southampton'. This litt1e paddler frequently took day trippers from Eastbourne and Hastings across to Blankenberg, near Ostend. The cargo steamer right, is the 'Dieppe Screw' 'Caen',

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek