Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2745-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Tall ships at West bank soon after 1900. The 'London and Paris' Hotel is on the left. At the adjoining Railway Quay is moored one of the services regular cargo steamers, known as the 'Dieppe Screws'. This expression eame into usage by the Ioeal doek workers during the last century. It was a term to differentiate between the cargo carrying service, which had been propellor driven fr om the beginning, as opposed to the passenger steamers, which had been paddlers until the introduetion of 'Seine' in 1890.

50. A smart body of men! Newhaven fire brigade with their horse drawn manual pump engine outside its station, one of the large doors of which is just visible on the left. In the background are the council offices and the space once occupied to house this appliance and an escape ladder on wheels, is now the Council Chamber.

51. An immaculate Mr. Bussey poses at the reins of his horse cab, so sadly associated with journeys to the cemetery. The building bebind is now the Harbour garage with Clifton Terrace just showing. This picture was taken in the mid-1920's.

--

52. Messrs. H. Penfold (near) and W. Bussey, showoff the latest in taxis, based in Railway Road in the mid-192รป's. The open car is of course Henry Ford's famous model 'T', the 'Tin Lizzie' so favoured with the 'Keystone Cops' of the silent film era. Clifton Terrace is in the background and to the left Parkstone Villas can be seen, now no longer with us.

53. The little harbour works loco, 'Bishopstone', on the West Bank December 1879. She was superseded by the 'Fenchurch' which spent sa much of her life at Newhaven and is still running on the 'Bluebell Railway',

54. Britain's first armoured train on the east beach rail track. A brain child and product of the Brighton Loco Works, where many of the employees were also members of a volunteer coastal defence force, and their O.C. also a director of the railway company. The turret contained a 40 pound rapid breach loading field gun. The whole was traversed by four men pushing on two long poles inserted into the rear corners of the turret. It was first demonstrated at Newhaven, before notables in 1894. The 'Saddle' tank 'Bradford' and a sister engine, 'Wave', were used around the harbour.

55. The 'Bridge Hotel' (now once again the 'Bridge Inn'). This is where Louis Philippe, the last king of France, spent his first night in exile, with his queen in 1848. The royal party made their escape in the steamer 'Express' and were rowed from this vessel into the harbour, stepping ashore in the area of the present day lifeboat house. The toll house belonging to the old draw bridge can be seen at the left of the hotel.

56. The act to build Newhaven's first bridge was passed by George III in 1784. Previously the crossing was made by ferry from the bottom of the High Street. The two moving sections of the draw bridge were lifted by winches but the pivoted supports beneath created a backwards sliding movement as weIl, which facilitated the closing action by virtue of the weight and plvoting of each of the spans.

57. Washers Wharf at the turn of the century. The ring road, North Way, follows much the same course. The dredger left is the 'Hercules', built in 1842. Moving to the right through the gap can be seen the 'Co-op' stores, boasting two storeys, Next is the steam flour mill and to the right again is the Tipper brewery and moored outside is the paddle tug named after this famous brew. The dredger to the right with two funnels is the se1f propelled 'Neptune',

58. As recently as the 1930's, a woman feeds a mixture of swans, geese and ducks from the West Bank of the old river. The 'Blacksmith's Arms' public house was on the right just out of the picture. The large building is Stricklands granary, which was destroyed by fire on 11th February 1940, but not from enemy action (left distance).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek