Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2745-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. In the oid river in the mid-193ΓΌ's. To the left of the Island Bridge are Catts Cottages and to the right Sefton Terrace. The steam hopper moored at the stage is the 'Trident' which was built to lay the foundations of the breakwater. Here she is rusting away her last days, but surprisingly she occasionally did a turn of concrete block dropping at the breakwater and when a tug was out of action she couid be seen towing mud barges.

60. This shipyard was situated at the side of the oid river at the southern end of what is now Robinson Road (Mr. 'Dick' Robinson was a Ioeal sailing ship owner, a harbour pilot and latterly a member of the Urban District Council.) The shipyard was noted for its covered slipway, which enabled building to proceed in any weather. John Gray built some quite large sailing vessels here in the early part of the last century. The best known craft to come from this yard was the 'Sussex Maid'. The cottages right are in Sussex Square. This picture was taken about 1875.

61. Post-women of Newhaven during the First World War. The fair sex also infiltrated into the male dominated doekland scene with the pressure of work to get the supplies across to the Western front. Those working at the Heighton Munitions Works, showing their stamina when they formed a bucket chain to bring water from the pond to a fire at an explosives dump. They and the men who extinguished the blaze, were awarded collective medals for bravery and devotion to duty,

62. A much changed vista, from under the front garden trees of Saxonhohne on 13th August 1920. The occasion is the unveiling of the Transport Memorial, which for reasons of traffic problems was moved after the Second World War to its present position at West Quay, During the First World War, Newhaven was the main supply port for the British fotces at the Western Front. Numerous transports from 200 to 2,000 tons were employed in this non stop work, at times they moored three abreast all along East Quay and singly along Railway Quay and up into North Quay.

63. A Naval Volunteers funeral makes its sad way along Lewes Road to the cemetery in about 1906. The 'Lewes Road Tavern' canjust be seen on the right. The prominent houses of Elphick Road and to the left 'Lee Cottages' have all gone to be replaced by the block of flats. 'Lee Court', the area around here, was known as 'The Holmes'.

64. H's thirsty work, threshing for farmer Hobbs, but the barrel poised on a bucket has provided new life for these worthies, The photograph was taken on the then unbuilt land behind the 'Sheffield Arms Hotel' and the houses are these of the coastguards, with the rear wash houses obscured by steam.

65. Langridge Bros. had a haulage business based behind the 'Railway Hotel'. It is thought that the boiler here in transit is destined for the Silica Works th en on land between Robinson and Elphick Roads. At this plant beach boulders were crushed to abrasive powder. The railway police box rernains, but with the 1866 swing bridge removed, the raad leads nowhere.

66. Inside the west wing of the Tarpaulin factory, West Quay, about 1918. This massive corrugated structure was situated between the Bonded warehouse and the 'Ark Inn'. Sheets to cover railway waggons were made here until1923 and repairs carried out until the 1940's. The sheets were made of stout canvas which were double boiled in linseed oil mixed with vegetable black; this was made up into a 90 gallon quantity in a large barrel kept in an outhouse. Each side of a sheet was given two coats. The numerous ropes seen at either side are for hoisting the sheets to dry, some of which can be seen hanging from the centre rear. The large bags for containing the 104 tons of concrete used in the foundations of the breakwater were also made here,

67. Early view south from the swing bridge. The single funnelJed tug is believed to be the 'Victoria' which boasted a trackway between the paddle boxes, with a heavily weighted truck normaJly fixed amidships, when the tug was required to make a sharp turn, the truck would be pushed to one side, thus lifting the opposite paddle out of the water and with the helm hard over a smaJl circle could be achieved.

68. 'Sheerlegs', a tripad crane 105 feet high, left, capable of lifting 80 tons, is seen with a ships boiler ready for hoisting by its steam winch. This landmark was positioned between the marine workshops and the carpenter's shop. Erected in 1881, it was felled for scrap at 5.30 a.m. 5th August 1965. The near paddle steamer is one of the twin sisters 'Normandy' or 'Brittany' (1882-1902). The vessel on the gridiron is the 'Seaford". The picture was taken about 1895.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek