Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4699-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. 'Bollens Row'; Mrs. Sarah Moore (nee Champion of Rottingdean) poses outside of her cottage in 1920. Beside her is herlodger, a Mr. Roberts, the Jersey and the single medal rather suggest that he may at one time have been a member of the lifeboat crew.

20. A remarkably clear photo of the building of Norman Road, east side, in 1901. The wooden pole scaffolding is in marked contrast to that used today.

21. The field in the foreground separating Fort Road from the harbour, was always known to us as 'Huggetts Field'. The large houses at the southern end of Meeching Road can clearly be seen. The roof of 'Meeching Court Farm' and a barn to the left and then working right are the cottages at the bottom of Hillside with the small steeple of Christ Church in the distance in South Road.

22. Circa 1912. Junction of South Road with the original Dacre Road. A casualline up ofinnocents separates sin from salvation or 'The Volunteer' inn from Christ Church. Today a popular visitors hotel vies with a stem Police Station across the road as the unfortunate pedestrian continues his battle with the automobile!

23. The main Co-op stores cornering with Chapel and Bridge Streets, today alocal social club and much altered. A very strong local concern, with surprisingly the branches of Seaford and Eastbourne corning under Newhaven, the shop will be well-remembered not just for 'What is your "divvy" number madam'? but from a childs point of view, that lovely overhead railway which conveyed the customers money to the cash desk and then back came the change!

24. Haymaking for Farmer Gribble in the early 1920s. The near slope is where now the footpath leads from the top of Gibbon Road to the Highway. The plantation left distance is that which today separates Northdown Road from Meeching Downs.

25. The building of the upper half of Gibbon Road was carried out after the end of the last war. This photo from the area of now 'Tideway' school shows two oil storage tanks where today we would see 'Hillcrest Court' flats. From these, oil was carried by pipe to the harbour side for refueling naval ships using the port. To the right of the further tank can just be seen the line ofHillcrest Road, which at this time was still not made up west of the junction with Second Avenue. The two small pits where these tanks were positioned, used to produce some interesting finds 'when we were boys', for it seems rubbish and broken items from the camps which used the area before and during the First World War, were dumped in these pits.

26. Indeed a very early photo, probably soon after the building of the 'Sheffield Arms' hotel in 1891. From CastIe Hill, left to right, we see the roofs of the two ice houses beyond the chalk pit spinney, then 'Court Farm Cottages' as today, but notice na houses at all in Gibbon Road. The pond in the recreation ground can clearly be seen, this resuIted from digging the day to make the bricks for building the Fort in the 1860s. It would seem that cricket could now be played and on the right there appear two grass tennis courts.

27. Almost a panoramic continuance of the previous picture and about the same vintage. It appears to be washing day at the 'Ark House', foreground. The old wooden lighthouse from the early west pier (now restored at 'Tideway' school) is here sited on the river side of the lifeboat house, from here it moved up to near the oid swing bridge, aiways near to the railway for transport, untilleaving for its present home! Note the continuous causeway south from the lifeboat house, with its rail track, explaining also how the west bank stages are in fact still numbered. Sleepers hole has not yet been 'opened up' but the bridge can be seen which enabied small craft to get in. The steamer on the hard, airing its sails, is probably the Cross Channel paddle packet the 'Normandy' awaiting sale. Note the hydraulic water tower, with the 'London and Paris' hotel to its right. Probably P.S. 'Paris' (3) in night berth.

28. A busy scene in North Quay in the mid-1930s. The two near steamers are fine examples of the German 'Russ' fleet. 'Stricklands' granary is the large building to the right; it was destroyed by fire during the last war, but not from enemy action. Ten steam eranes line the quay.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek