Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4699-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A charming view looking south from the old swing bridge at the turn of the century. The two paddlers are visiting excursion steamers, but near right is the famous brigantine 'Commerce' of the J. Buliline of Newhaven.

30. A scene from about 1910. Near is a wooden mud barge from the harbour dredger 'Hercules', which is working just beyond. She had a chain of buckets on each side with massive wooden cross beams. On the other side of the harbour at Railway Quay, is the 'Dieppe Screw', 'Maine' . She was lost transporting munitions from Newhaven during the First World War, a fact which is recorded on the memorialon the harbour side, south from the bridge. Torpedoe or mine, she disappeared. An old timer used to teIl me that she had a bulkhead separating the boiler room from a hold, which always overheated. Against usual practice, the military officer in charge insisted that no air space be left between this bulkhead and the munitions. The fear on the ship's Captain's face was only too clear as the vessel sailed and disappeared not far beyond Beachy Head.

4 1

31. Proof for non believers. At one time pleasure steamers did disgorge their passengers at Newhaven on Sea! Here we see some lucky travelIers mounting the gangway to the now Tug stage. This was railed in with a turnstile hut at the roadside. One penny to come off, another to get back aboard. The hut, now painted yellow, is elose to the seafront Museum, having at one time been used for taking car park fees. In this picture we see P. & A. Campbell's lovely paddle steamer 'Waverley' (not to be confused with the post war Clyde steamer). When the passengers had allleft to visit the then quaint town, a barge of coal would arrive alongside to provide fuel for a few more trips around the coast. At a pre-arranged time, the vessel would give a series of toots on her organ pipe steam whistle, to hurry the passengers back aboard. Mid-1930s, halcyon days! (Rear S.S. 'Newhaven' left & S.S. 'Worthing'.)

~\\\\\~

Ir

!

.. ~;~--

-.,

32. The harbour entrance before 1879. Two short piers and a very narrow channel. No promenade in those days, the wall around the Lunet gun battery, stood proud above a smal! shingle beach. The wooden lighthouse seen here had two resting places before arriving at 'Tideway' school for restoration. A group ofworkers are using a hand-operated pile driver in the never ending repair battle against the cruel sea.

33. Tbe harbour entrance in about 1900, a discharged freighter leaves. Tbe wooden East Pier had been extended to its present day length, the lighthouse was replaced with the 1928 period rebuild of the Pier with reinforeed concrete piling. Tbe smal! building in the very centre of the picture is the tidal gauge around which is added the Pilots watch house. At the near corner under the sloping roof was housed the first Museum of the Newhaven Historical Society. For the summer seasons of 1971 and 1972 it brought sufficient interest and pleasure to justify purchasing the present premises, which in turn has continued to prosper. Tbe water moat was filled from the harbour via a sluice pipe, 'Fort Gate' was built on this site. Tbe pitched black wooden water truck opposite the 'Hope' inn was ever popular with the seven families then living at the sea front, until such a time as the mains supply eventually reached there.

34. Here the Fricker Rocks are covered by water at high tide, now they are forever buried beneath the shingle ofthe west beach. This picture of about 1885 shows the shore end ofthe newbreakwater reaching to the foot of the chalk cliffs. The non-existent beach at high water, illustrates the hopeless task which confronted the would-be rescuers of the crew of H.M.S. 'Brazen' when she foundered a mile away, when dawn and the helpers arrived the tide was high. Apart from the one survivor, the remainder either drowned or perished from exposure. It was January in the year 1800.

35. The West Foreshore from the cliffs in the early 1930s. Holiday chalets occupy a prime position, parking is free. Where the rai! track makes a left hand sweep, the semi-detached 'Company Houses' can be seen. The Comben fami!y lived in the one nearest the sea, this was called 'Sunnyside', in the other, 'Craigside', lived the McDonalds. The Museum is now on the foundations of these cottages which were demolished after the last war. Peeking out from the diff can be seen alittle of'The Black House', also gone. On the eastbeach ean be seen the First World War sea plane hangars.

36. From the West Pier lighthouse looking north, about 1890. At the extreme left, the band stand or signal station; above, the mound of the Lunet battery; above that, a little of the 'Black House', 'Sea House' and the two cottages separating it from the 'Hope' inn. The tidal gauge has not yet been joined by the Pilots watch house. Note the brass topped West Pier capstan in foreground.

37. Soon after the First World War, the Bartholomew family stand at the door to their home, 'The Sea House'. To the right can be seen the twocottages which would be absorbedinto the rebuilt 'Hope' inn ofthe 1930s. An aleoholies paradise it must have been at one time for the occupants ofthe cottages- a pub each end. Another paradise - not a car in sight!

38. The Drove Road, from the Railway station to Denton Corner in about 1919. A good surface was made as far as the 'Buckle' inn, Seaford, by the First World War Conscientious Objectors. It would seem that the road has just been treated with tarmac for the East Sussex County Council, who commissioned this photograph. The volume of traffic is really frightening! The sign on the right is not to advise the traveIler that he is entering Newhaven, but is a left over from the First World War, when it wou1d have been warning of a sentry ahead, who would decide whether entry could be made to the sealed military town. The searchlight position can be seen off Station Road.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek