Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4699-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 4'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Moving on from tbe Universal Stores, just sbowing on tbe right, we see two more old buildings, used at one time by the brewery. Here a repair garage. The enamelled plates advertise 'Pratts Motor Spirit'. This narrow road, Riverside, carried on, witb the old river on tbe rigbt and tbe 'Blacksmiths Arms' on tbe left, until it joined up witb Essex Place and finally reacbed tbe Lewes Road and a junction with Elpbick Road.

50. Proud dairyman G. Wilcox, of 49 South Road, displays his milk float at a fete in the Convent Field, now Neills Close. It would be most interesting to know more about the event, but as so frequently happens, nothing else was written on the reverse of the photo.

51. Everybody knew George Flowers, here he is with his greengrocery cart, in South Road, during the 19308. In Essex Place he raised a fine family.

52. Moving up astreet to a scene outside of Wiggin & Gray, photographers, at 'Alma' ,30 Meeching Road, probably just after the First World War. Oil and hardware merchant C. Hoadley, from Denton, poses with bis horse and cart. His shop and stableIbarn, appear in Vol. 2 picture 57, with the Reverend William Kimpson leading a peace procession after the First World War.

53. Still in Meeching Road and outside of 'Melton House' (No.2I) probably during the First World War. On the sign in the window is written 'Wyatt Foster, specialist ... Artificial teeth' . The presence of a soldier is not surprising, for the Fort Garrison Commander had an office in this wad.

54. The London and Paris Hotel, east face. This side was seldom photographed. To the right of the picture it merged in with the Harbour Station. Originally when this hotel was built at the commencement of the cross channel service operated by the London & Brighton & South Coast Railway in 1847, the rail tracks terrninated here. Passengers would pass through the lower part of the building to emerge onto the 'Railway wharf where their little paddle cross channel steamer would be waiting. If the weather was inclement, then they would spend a day or two in the hotel as guests until matters improved. If they had arrived after a bad crossing, again, they may have needed time, to recover!

55. Southern Railway, Newhaven Harbour C!erical Staff, late 19208, outside of the London and Paris Hotel. Back row, left to right:

E.A Standing, R. Hooker, F. Le Sileur, J. Goddard, A. Bailey, AP. Hill, F. Herriot, L. Legg, G.E. Bluber, E. Hunkin, J. Styles, F. Goddard, J .A. Tanner, A. Renville, J. Chapman and L. Wren. Third row: G. Horlock, E. Oxley, C.G. White, C. Gates, C. Maestrani, W. Chant, M. Broad, C. Chaston, G. PolJard, J. Tasker, W. Brooker, AS. Hewett, B.G. Sangster, C. La Croix, V. Luck and A. Chatfield. Second row: M. Waight, E. Corke, G. Renville, J. Anderson, J. Muller, J.A Taylor, L. Spooner, G. Willard, S. Lander, E.A Sheppard, A. Colvin, E. Dawes, R. Voyce, E. Stevens, G. Howard, A. Berry, S. Austin and F. Brooker. Front row: F. Jeffries, G.J. Morgan, C. Horlock, S. Heagarty, Miss B. Borrisow, Miss M. Hilder, Miss O. Archer, J. Henderson (see Vol. 3. pie. 35), R. Cardy, Deputy Marine Supt., H.K. Payne, Marine Supt., ? Akehurst, W. Tindale, Miss S.H. Page, P. Brooker, M. Hollands, E. Clowser, E. Robinson and lastly Zach Stevens! A Newhaven reader just must have a relative within this group!!

56. Half a wreek is better than none! What is left of the 'Svthoid' is beaehed on the sands to the east of the harbour. It appears she was sliced in two by a steamer and brought to the shore by a Trinity House vessel. Her remains were bought by a loeal man, a Mr. Winter, whom it is said realised far more on the eopper nails alone than he had paid for the hulk.

57. The Hull steam trawler 'Gamecock' was driven ashore at the East Beach on 1st September 1908. Here she is as the inevitable tourist attraction, but I doubt if visitors had come from much farther away than Seaford, which could be managed by train. The crew had been rescued by 'Breeches Buoy'. The vessel was eventually towed off by the Newhaven tugs 'Alert' and 'Hauler' and brought into harbour. The full story with three pictures is covered in Vol. 1, pies. 26-28.

58. Lord Brassey laid the foundation stone of the South Road Church Room in 1905 (Vol. 3, pic. 4) and in this picture we see the new lifeboat 'Sir Fitzroy Clayton' on the slipway for her christening in December 1912 by Lady Helen Brassey! Apart from reliefboats, this was the last of the open type to be based on this station. She was involved in some spectacular rescues during her long life here and then when replaced slipped into obscurity. Yet strangely a few years ago it was learnt that she was still afloat on Lake Windermere, with her original engine, but this was not in use and her role was simply that of a holiday houseboat. She was not broken up until 1986!

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek