Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4840-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. The same area as in the previous picture, but now the date is 1961, with the air of impending demolition over this part of the High Street. Sargeants, grocers, originally with a bakery in Chapel Street, had this grand shop built on the site of the oid 'Blue Anchor' . Above was the estate agency. Today, you may purchase a bed. Then in the section to 'come down', is the bakery (previous picture), a butchers and a barbers. The replacement parade was set back, Ieaving the end shop, Bannisters sticking out, this another grocers shop was 10 become an off licence, with an under walk way. Today, the 'Happy Stores'. After St. Luke's Lane, F. W. Woolworths, before its rebuild.

10. 'Bannisters first shop.' From lower down the High Street and now looking up, we see this early scene where now is Woolworths. Near is a 'BibIe Depot' and beyond, the junction with St. Luke's Lane and todays 'Happy Stores'. See also volume 2, pictures 14 and 18.

11. No surprise that the High Street and St. Luke's Lane were likened to a stair case, for they each had bannisters on both sides! In this picture we see one of their shops adjoining the 'Ship' Hotel. There was another at the junction with South Lane and higher up, where now is the Midland Bank. At the far end of Bridge Street, on the left, was the furniture department. Add to this, the 'International' Stores and the 'Co-op', 'Madam' had quite a choice!

12. South Road, a residential street, yet with quite a few small shops, three public houses, if one includes the 'Voluntcer", which shared the corner with the then D' Acre Road.

13. South Road, looking north, with the girls school in the distance. The first 'pub' on the left was the 'Prince of Wales' with the 'Plough' next door. The 'Prince' closed, but its name replaced that of its neighbour. The cottages left, above the pebble wall, turned the corner into Hillside and up as far as the lane. (See volume 3, picture 51.)

14. 'South Lane' joining now South Way, with the High Street. In the previous picture, 'Sidney Cottage' appears to be adjoining the girls school, it in fact was beyond and was about where is now W.H. Smith's. Built in 1851, this is but one more of the few interesting houses which have been lost to Newhaven. There were several terraces of houses off the lane, mostlyon the eastern side.

15. Meeching Road, south to north, in its hey day it would appear. Locally known as 'Piano Street', as those living in such a road as this, would be the only residents considered wealthy enough to be able to afford such an instrument. Reference has been made to it having been called Prospect Place, but I think this applied more to the earlier part development in South Road.

16. This excellent air view of circa 1932, really lays bare the heart of old Newhaven. On "The Island' left, we have Catts Cottages, Reeds Cottages, turning left and then Sefton Terrace leading away. On the near side of the old river, the track through the grass, is what we now knowas Robinson Road, leading into 'Sussex Square'. Facing into the square (and the camera) is the blacksmith's shop. On the right side of it and leading into the town is St. Luke's Lane. Ta its right is Lower Place, with to the right of that again, the Folly Field, with the slaughter house. A then langer Elphick Road, conceals most of Essex Place.

17. Another lovely view from the same period giving an air of tranquility, south-west to north-east. In the foreground are the Fort dry moat, the Drill Hall and the 'Ark House'. Across Sleepers Hole to East Quay, we have the 'Worthing' near with probably the 'Newhaven' in the night berth. Two earlier and smaller cross channel steamers lie abreast the London & Paris Hotel, probably 'Arundel' and 'Dieppe'. The hydraulic tower and the Gas Works beyond, with Stricklands Granary above the bridge at North Quay. Note a sparse Mount Pleasant. Near, in the recreation ground, is the cricket pavillion, with a hard court to its left. On the far side, left to light, grass courts, bowling green, with two way shelter and finally a hard court. The whole scene conveys that unique serenity which made Newhaven very dear to so many people.

18. At North Quay, in the 1930's. Four of the railway horses which at times were used to shunt waggons (see volume 3, picture 36).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek