Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4840-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. The other side of Newhaven, 'Turkey Town', So named, it is said from when poultry was imported live from Normandy and of how some Turkeys disappeared to coincide with the aroma in the area of roasting birds! Here we see a group of 'Eastsiders' with Sheffield Cottages behind, on the opening of the recreation ground on 9th June 1924.

20. Char-à-banc outing about to leave from outside of the 1904 post office in Meeching Road. This office was demolished to make way for the present Dacre Road giving access to the multi-storey car park serving the supermarket. The lady nearest at the front is Mrs. Miriam Emily Funnell, wife of Joseph Shoesmith Funnell. At this time they would have been living at 22 High Street (see picture 8, this book). The party are probably from the Town Womens Guild or the British and Foreign Bible Society, circa 1920.

21. Christ Church was where is now the police station. In the grounds at the rear is a hut from the First World War. Another ex. army hut, used by the Y.M.C.A. for the troops was to become the Scouts 'Lader Hut'. Here we see the Christ Church boys club, about 1926. Front row, left to right:?, A. Evans, W. East, H. Davis (Verger) Nye, ? and F. Vina!. Next row: 't , 't , N. Hardy, P. Hills, T. Moyes, Reverend Lee (Curate), J. Strong, A. Wheeler, B. Wheatley and L. Winder. Next row: Mitchell, Townsend, A. Cramb, R. Young, G. Rowe, H. Skinner, W. Wingate, J. Townsend and W. Aitken. Next row:?, Priest, L. Lower , Cheesman, J. Baldwin, A. Challen, L. James, A. Hardy, P. Hardy, ? and E. Wall. Rear row: Beale, Cramb, ?, Flowers, 't , G. Stevens, ?, L. Winter, G. King andWaller.

22. During the night of 15th February 1859, the barque 'Vizcaya' of Bilbao, bound from London to Bordeaux, was in collision with the Dutch ship 'D'Elmira' off Beachy Head. In the morning the barque was sighted four mil es off Rottingdean. Alocal row boat was the first to reach her, but a request was sent to Newhaven for a steam vessel to tow. Consequently, steam was raised in the cross channel vessel 'Lyons' (volume 1, picture 2) which brought the casualty into harbour by early afternoon. The 'Vizcaya' at this time had six guns mounted. She was re-rigged by J. Robinson of Littlehampton but was finally lost off the Yorkshire co ast in 1893. In this drawing the hotel depicted represents the London & Paris and of course, the Tidemill creek is open to the harbour. The lifeboat is believed to be the 'Friend in need' of Newhaven.

23. Supreme elegance of the 1930's. 'Brighton' (V) built by Denny Bros. Dumbarton in 1933, here at the Marine work shops for annual refit. All such work was do ne here until the 1960's. There used to be a story that she was a model ship for the 'Oueen Mary'. I suppose if one trebled the funnels and added more decks, this would not appear so improbable. On the outbreak of the last war she transported om troops to France and then became a hospital ship and in this role she was trapped when berthed at one of the Dieppe inner docks, bombed and sank. The crew were not aboard, but they had their problems to come, with a long hike across Normandy before finding small craft to bring them home.

,l

LL

J~ ~ ~~ 7t:".aI1~ rr: ~~9' -1'a...-:y ç~

In ,= ~ f--- ~ ~ :f

CL-... ~ J Lca... " __ J-':' ~

~ -1 1-- al'flZ~' ~, ..I; Q-. 1~~<1- b~r~~ 4- ~~ r-:- ~-i ~

acase: 4-.~ Is~~r

1---~-

~r

aA't.;:: -tz::;::...... 4-0-<. -e

??

24. The Towner Bros. and their Tipper Brewery were a force to be reckoned with and if one rented one of their properties, you obeyed by the rules or you received a polite, but positive reminder. Mr. Noakes, a barber in Bridge Street, can be seen at the extreme right of picture 44 in volume 3.

25. The relief of Mafeking, how this event was celebrated in Newhaven. Towners lawn was between the steam flour mill and the first little shops in Bridge Street, going east. There was also a coal yard backing on to Washers wharf and later came the R.N.V.R. Drill Hall and the Co-op grocery shop. This area is now a series of purpose built flats, which at least brings habitation back into the town.

~ .Maf~king (t~I~bration. ~

;;s;r*;;#iSJ6'P~

ßrran~emenfs for ~rocession.

Ferm at Schools, South Road, at "-30; sing Doxology and National Antbem at 3; preeeed via SoUl!! Road and Chapel Slreel, stopping at Su...,x Place to lOing ?? Onward. Christian Soldiers;" to 11~1Î Street Stopj>IÏ1g öt eoilire'ö ?? am 'r~ re s '~g' á

Prifu:e or Wales," then to top f Dacre Road, stopping there to sioi .? Now thank we all oor ." then proceeding through Meeching Road to Fort Road ere the ?. Soldiers of the Queen ,. wW be sullg trom the lostit te the Coast Guard Station at whieb pIace .? Rule Britannia ., iil be sung; thence to Recreation Oround tor the

??.. Pi 'fOReHb-IG 1'1' PRO<?:ESSION

Will JtllPt fPOm Mcll'ps 'r OWIlL> S .a.wn at . '0. f' ane~ .Br~$.

ORR:E:H>Q,:,;,nTX'l' _-E H.A.Y!'" T u·~.

Lively eenes 3. e been'wit - ed r 1 conseq-uence of the ac ion {)t he L. . ar S,C. Railwa - in chalie ging h ' ht the tOWnspeople to use the only pu Iic roa to the rea,

'.rha. road, een ~J'ueted b. the company under 'Pa'. iamentary power, Vla kept clo ~ with padlocked gates, and no objee .. ti n a r-ai ed during" he ar in ie or

he standing of .?. -ewhaven a . r r

Vhen the ates 'We e eontinued af er he va the to . people con idered thcv .had a zr ievanee in' bei g denied aceess 0 the sea, - - coti tions with the company 1 ' in , a procession headed b - the chai man, a d including the t ro olde inhabita ts, armed with ha chets and crowba , ended it way te tbe road,

They demoli hed the first gate, walk along the Ierbidden .road, and treated the gate at t.he other end in the same way.

~ 1 ow tbeY: e all waitinz to be ar rested, the ehairman told The Ecenini; l· ez.c ?

26. From this press report of 6th December 1921, it would seem that Newhaven also had to be relieved and by whom better than the Town Fathers! They won their battle and until the 1960's development of the Marina, there was a public footpath sign at where is shown one of the offending gates in the next picture.

27. Here we see the southern gate closing the footpath to the sea, although the road proper is not obstructed. Until the 1960's it was a twice a day pilgrimage on a summer Sunday for the dads and children to walk to see the 'boat out' at about 11.30. a.m. whilst mother got the lunch and then in the late aftemoon mother would go as well, to see the 'boat in', then home for tea. Frequently the children grazed their ankles, for it was most essential that they proved (and didn't) their balancing ability on the rail tracks around Sleepers Hole. In this photo the steam hopper 'Trident' which was built to lay the breakwater foundations is being used as a tug to take out a wooden mud barge from the dredger 'Hercules' .

28. Sleepers Hole. Near is the pleasure steamer 'Lady Rowena', she operated out of here before and after the First World War. Beyond her is the dredger 'Leven' and still further is the S.S. 'Arundel'. As the 'Leven' was mined offthe East Pier during that war and the channel steamerwas new in 1900, the date ofthe picture must fall somewhere between. 'Grays' and the terrace of large houses in Hillcrest road stand out c1early on the left of the view.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek