Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4840-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A class operating the main hall of the Boys School (now the Further Education Centre). The teacher is Mr. Maguire who is standing at the back, a popular man. His health suffered through a gas attack when he was serving in the First World War. The photo was loaned by Norman Manton, one of the pupils shown, his parents had shops in the town. The need for the class in the hall is uncertain, overcrowding? Decorating? Norman and his wife are back from exile and living in Seaford. Picture from the late 1920's.

30. More school children, this time a group of girls from about 1929. They are pupils from St. Veronicas' 'Bluebird' School, which was next to Meeching Hall on the sou th side. A private day school the hat badge was of a Bluebird, hen ce the nickname. It was run by Miss Foylesmall and Mademoiselle Mier (who was Swiss). The girls are standing in Fort Raad with their backs to Chapel Streel. The large house is 'Seaview' of 1881, which was bomb damaged in the last war, later demolished. New properties on the site. Front, left to right: Pauline MarkweIl, Julie Thompson and Barbara Thompson. Rear: Rita Robinson, laan Luck, ?, Vera Muddle and Jose Muddle (see volume 3, picture 50). The original nameplate from the entrance door of this school was kindly given to the local museum, October 1989.

31. Girls School Percussion Band. 1920's-1930's. Front row, left to right: B. Clark , E. Short and J. Hibbard. Second row: R. Winder, M. Saxby, J. Dorey, Miss Baldwin (teacher), ?, E. Palser, J. Hillier and J. Simrnonds. Third row: P. Shoebridge, J. Impey, J. Humphries, J. Wingate, E. Robinson, ?, G. Gates and E. Sadler. Rearrow: D. Arnold, 7, 7, P. Fox,J. Smith, V. Freemanand?

32. An interesting view into Bridge Street during the First World War. 558 Coy. Royal Engineers march towards the swing bridge. On the left the 'Crown' Inn and on the right the 'New Bridge' Inn (nowasports shop). Beyond is Bannisters, then a bakers, grocers and ship chandlers. The bakery was down the little lane to the right. (See volume 2, picture 29.)

33. August 1906 sees 'D' Coy, 2nd. Bn. The Queens, footslogging up the Drove towards the level crossing. Slavery of man to the motor car and his need to provide road systems to please his masters, means that in the name of progress these soldiers would have many more yards to march for the same distance covered, today! The bareness of Mount Pleasant is interesting.

34. The beautiful pleasure steamer 'Devonia', here at the West Bank 1920's-1930's. One of P. & A. Campbell's 'Butterfly' fleet of paddlers, she was later replaced on this station by her more suitably named sister 'Brighton Queen' (2). Like most pleasure craft, she was called to war service and was left behind at Dunkirk where the shallow draught of 'Devonia' enabled her to be run well up the be ach where she became a jetty, so that the troops could reach deeper vessels. Ahead of the wheel house can be seen the turreted house 'Lorraine' in Fort Raad, to the right, but now on the bank, is the office of J.H. Bull, shipping agents, being the working home of Messrs. Thyer, Mainwood and the well-remembered Harold Sparshott, they being in turn the local Consuls for France and Norway. Finally, to the right again, but in Fort Raad, the fire station when it was part of the Council Offices. This photo was taken by the late tug master 'Ted' Weller.

35. Heavy seas at the end of the breakwater keep 'Brighton Oueen' (2) rolling as she makes for the harbour in the 1930's. Most probably her excursions for the day had been cancelled. for not only would few wish to travel in such weather but much damage could be done to ship and pier when alongside. (See volume 2, picture 32 and volume 3, picture 39. )

36. A Carnival procession winds its way along the river wall, the west bank or is it rightly the west quay? Here we see the pre-1939 Town's fire engine (volume 2, picture 44) taking part and in those days it would be regarded as a very colourful addition to the festive parade. Immediately behind is the Bridge Hut with the Missions To Seamen Chapel (now 'Mencap') close at its rear. The engine has almost reached the junction with Bridge Streel. (Volume 2, picture 56.)

37. Carnival time was always a very special occasion in Newhaven and here we have a little comedy touch at the junction of Denton Island Bridge, with Washers Wharf in the 1930's. The policeman with the arm band is probably quite genuine as his would be the uniform as worn by the Railway Police at the Harbour, at this time. Ahead, Reeds Cottages and to the right, Sefton Terrace.

38. Another revealing air photo of about 1934. Foreground, left to right, the lifeboat house and near, where was the 'northern gate' (this volume picture 26), the Watch House, S.S.s. 'Arundel' and 'Dieppe' abreast in Sleepers Hole. The pilots stage, right and the Dredger 'Newey' (ex. 'Carnbois') beyond the few yachts. At East Ouay, left to right, the S.S. 'Worthing' of 1928, the converted 'Reuen' leaving (volume 2, picture 69) then the 'Paris' (4). Beyond the East quay with its old terminal buildings and sheds we have, 'Oyster Pond' Cottages, the 'Jubilee' foot bridge over the creek (this was the area of the old Oyster beds). Charles Dickens walked from Seaford to here to buy fresh oysters, but it was a Sunday and 'they 'adn't none'!

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek