Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5

Auteur
:   Peter S. Bailey
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4840-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Newhaven in old picture postcards volume 5'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A busy scene of about 1937. The steamers are, left to right, the 'Newhaven', the 'Brighton' (5) which has just berthed and the 'Paris' (4). Behind the East Quay in the previous photo can be seen a large expanse of water. As part of the harbour improvements of 1879 it was intended to make a large doek here. Lack of money no doubt prevented its conclusion, but this much may have been dug as a start or more likely as much infill and banking would be required for raising and widening the quayside, th en as with normal railway practice, get the material from the nearest place. For some unknown reason we used to call it the 'Oyster Ponds'.

/

40. A seaward view from 'Fishmarket' or 'Customs House' Corner in about 1935. This and the next photo were taken by Stan Gray of the optician family. Near is the French S.S. 'Newhaven' with the 'Versailles' warping herself out. When her bow was pointing to the narrows, the capstan would stop, she would give a toot and as the hawser slackened a baatman at a west side bollard would cast off and either row or walk back to the watch house. In severe westerlies it was sometimes necessary to have two hawsers across sa as to bring out the ships stern as weIl. As she left, she would be winding her hawsers back aboard.

41. 'Sleepers Hole' 1934-1935. In the night berth, left, is the 'Worthing' above her stem is the Harbour Clock which may yet be seen again. To the right is 'Brighton' (5) with the stern of the Dredger 'Forernost Prince' just visible. Left near, is the pilot's stage with two of their boats (2 and 5). Stan Gray's 'Vega' is fourth in from the right. The ex. steam yacht with clipper bow and funnel was the 'Albatross' .

42. The wallieft and the distant 'Volunteer' Inn only remain of this scene from 1969. To the left and right is Chapel Street and behind the camera, 'Sussex Place'. Ahead was ealled Church Road. Now on the left is the police station, but the infants school, right, is completely underthe ring road (Southway).

43. The dotted white lines in the foreground of the previous picture can c1early be seen on the right in this. Tom Howell's boot repairing shop occupies the corner of Chapel Street with 'Sussex Place' (see volume 2, picture 24). The cottages leading away on the right are replaced by today's swimming pool and the stores for the supermarket. Del. White, the hairdresser, had his last saloon in this terrace. Sticking out at the end is Devereux's grocers shop (previously W. Sargeants), beyond was the Chapel Street end of Woelgers Passage and then the 'lolly Sailor' public house, which is now a fish restaurant. Volume 2, picture 26. Sign, left, above Del's first saloon. Volume 4, pictures 6 and 7 Del and next door shop. In this picture (43) half way along on the left, but out of view, would have been Edward Howell's boot shop. He served apprenticeship under his elder brotherTom! (Album 4, picture 8.)

44. A useful picture taken from the top of the Westminster Bank 1940's-1950's. Near right, the roof of the old chapel, now a fish and chip shop, etc. On the other side of the wad, leading south from the old Co-op (now Social Club) are the near cottages on the left in volume 2, picture 26. Also part of the chapel can be seen opposite. Leading away on the left is the 'Jolly Sailor', Devereux's shop with cottages to the left also part of Chapel Street. Straight on are the cottages in reverse direction as those in picture 43. Next would be 'Sussex Place' going off to the left, but straight on would be the car park to (and) the Health Centre.

45. Coming up the old D'acre Road (now Southway) with Meeching Road to left and right. Near is the First World War Transport Memorial with beyond 'Saxonholrne' almost hidden by trees. To the right a glimpse of the old 'Silent' Kinema.

46. From the 1950's-1960's period. Meeching Road. 'Saxonholme' is for sale and the old Kinema is still the fire station. Note the windows of the projection room above the sign. No double yellow lines! The fire station was moved to Fort Road when the present depot was built on the site of the attractive house 'Lorraine'. (This volume, picture 34.)

47. The old 'Kinema' in Meeching Raad, in the garage on the left of it was housed the generating plant for the electricity. On the right of the building a very narrow Marshall Lane. Long hushed are the skills of the accompanying pianist! What memories, secrets and romances disappeared when the building was dernolished in 1977.

48. The Winder family: Jack, Steve, George and Tom and not forgetting sister Elizabeth. George features in volume 3, picture 31 and Tom is with his sister in volume 2, picture 41. Tough and gentle may sound odd, yet it seerns to fit. Accordions, dancing dolls, Gracie Fields, coastguard rescue teams, blue boulder picking, longshore men and operating a rowing baat ferry service between the two piers above the green lights (when there used to be steps). For a penny you could be over on the east side beach, Here we see Tom awaiting passengers with Tom Hills jnr. (he now lives in Canada) sitting forward, just for company. Why should this scene remind one of 'Sanders ofthe river'?

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek