Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. The family business of J.W. Clapham, photographed here in 1910, was a large department store which specialised in drapery and clothing, where no doubt locally made linen was sold, From the pile of timber on the pavement of its High Street frontage it would appear that the premises were undergoing shop fitting alterations. The building, now with a modem plate glass facade, is still a department store, but the business is no longer owned by the Clapham family.

10. Another large emporium in the town was the Northallerton Co-operative Society, situated in the High Street. The Co-operative sold a wide range of goods, but specialised in its own brand of food products. In this picture, taken in 1927, the employees pose for a group photograph in front of the shop. They are no doubt very proud of their new motor delivery van, whose leather coated driver ean be seen amongst the group. Left to right: E. Mattison, E. Pepperday, C. Pol1ard, L. Colley, J. Willoughby, A. Weighell, M. Burly, N. Weighell, J. Brown, H. Brown, G. Finkill, P. Ward and H. Wright.

11. In 1908, the roof of Mr. James Naylor's hardware shop in the High Street was re-tiled and the occasion marked by this photograph. Naylor and Sons sold plumber's requirements and domestic tin and galvanised iron items, but also branched out into the sale of bicycles and cyclists requisites. From repairing bicycles, the family firm moved into the newly born motor trade, becoming the first car dealers and repairers in the town. This family firm continued until a year ago, when it ceased business.

12. This impressive facade adoms the front of Barclays Bank in the High Street, pictured in 1920. Originally the Bank was a branch of the Darlington based Backhouse Bank, founded by Jonathan Backhouse. a Quaker and associate of the Pease family whose financial backing gave rise to George Stephenson's Stockton to Darlington Railway and to the development of Middlesbrough as an iron and steel manufacturing centre. The Backhouse financial interest involved itself in the development and extension of the rail network in the North East and provided Northallerton with a rail link to the ports on Teesside.

13. "The Shields Mail', the 'Edinburgh Mail', 'Hero", 'High Flyer', the 'Express' and 'Wellington', names which evoke the very spirit of travel in the stage coach days before the arrival of the railways. These coaches, which linked London with York, Leeds and Newcastle, once ratt1ed along the High Street to deposit passengers and mail at one of the four coaching inns in the town. In this picture, taken in 1921, a reminder of these earlier days can be seen. The horse and carriage outside the Golden Lion Hotel was used to meet passengers from the railway station half a kilometre away.

RaJlway Station, Northallerton.

14. The railway system reached Northallerton in 1841, linking the town to the industrial West Riding and also placing it on the main line route from London to the North East and eventually Scotland. This East Coast main line was, and still is, one of the most important and fastest routes in the country. The section of track from York, through Northallerton and up to Darlington was often used as a test track on which engines and rolling stock were put through their paces. The railway gave a boost to the town. Here pictured in 1928 is the busy passenger station, a second line lead to the equally busy goods station at North End. Outside the main station the cattie pens of the auction mart were built, thus re-emphasising the town's important position as an agricultural centre.

15. Close to the railway station, to the south west of the town, was the Railway Hotel (now known as the Station Hotel), seen here in 1908 shortly after it had been enlarged and refaced in an impressive manner. As weU as offering public bars and refreshment for travellers awaiting train connections to the north or south, the Station Hotel provided overnight accommodation for commercial traveIlers and holiday makers who arrived in the town.

South Parade,

16. The railway was built to the south west of the town and to link it with the High Street, the heart of Northallerton, South Parade was constructed. The houses which line it, built from 1860 onwards, were fairly large and substantial, and this area of the town seen in 1904, superseded the area around the Church as that part which attracted middle class business men, being so handy for the train, and also for business in the town. lt is also very close to the County Hall building.

17. In this 1907 picture The Lodge looks like a country house but is in fact close to Thirsk Road and South Parade. The building accommodated Miss Nelson's Private School at which about twenty boys and girls between the ages of five and fifteen years were taught. Later part of the land behind the house was purchased by the newly formed Northallerton Bowling Club, whilst in later years the house was also bought by the Club, which is still in existence at these premises.

18. This garage stood at the corner of South Parade and the High Street, and was owned by Mr. Greer of Thornton-le-Beans Hall near Northallerton. It sold a wide range of motor cars, including the highly prestigious Rolls Royce. By the hand cranked petrol pump stands Mr. Pattison, the foreman, with three of his mechanics, in this picture taken in 1929. The building, which had long ceased to function as a garage, was demolished in recent years. The first motor car was seen in Northallerton on 27th November 1896.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek