Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

.'.

19. The imposing building on the 1eft of this 1875 picture is a Savings Bank and is still in use as such today. Built in 1857, it stands on an interesting site. Here stood the Guildhall where untill720 the Quarter Sessions were held, the building then became the town workhouse, a damp unsanitary place because of its proximity to the Sun Beek. When the new Union Workhouse opened in 1857, this building was demolished and replaced by the Savings Bank.

".

20. Changes in the Poor Law system brought about the creation in 1837 of the Northallerton Poor Law Union to cover forty parishes with an overall population of 12,460. The old workhouse proved to be inadequate, but continued in use until 1857, when a new building was erected to the east of the High Street. This could provide accommodation for one hundred and twenty-five inmates, and also casual work such as chopping firewood, sewing sacking and general duties to maintain the building in exchange for which the poor could obtain a meal. Built on land known as Friarage Fields, the site of the old Carmelite Friarage, the workhouse building later became the nucleus of the Friarage Hospital, under the local area health authority. The photograph shows the building in 1905.

21. This solid Iooking briek and stone building, pictured here in 1904, is the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the High Street close to the Rutson Hospital. Built in 1864 in the Victorian semi-gothic style, out of money raised by public subscription, and on the site of the Pack Horse Inn, it replaced an earlier Wesleyan Chapel of 1796, this older building becoming a Baptist Chapel for a time. The three stone pinnacles were later removed when they became unsafe after a severe gale, The Chapel became the centre for the Northallerton Methodist Circuit, with other member chapels in the surro unding villages.

22. Dominating the northern area of the town is the Parish Church of All Saints. The Church was founded in the 7th century, rebuilt in stone in A.D. 885, and much enlarged between the 12th and 15th centuries as its various architectura1 features reveaL The Church suffered much damage in the past caused by a succession of Scottish raids on the town, The original tower, built in 1190, fell in 1318 as the result of one such sacking, and the new tower, seen in this 1922 picture, was rebuilt in 1420 in the perpendicular style. The tower contains a peal of eight bells which were reeast and rehung in Victorian times.

23. This is the band of bellringers at the Parish Church, pictured in 1903. The captain of ringers, Jimmie Barnett (third left), began ringing at the age of fifteen years and only retired, with seventy years of ringing behind hirn in 1937. On his 66th wedding anniversary on September 1st, 1936, aflag was flown from the Church tower and Jirnmie chose to mark the occasion by having hirnself and his wife driven all around the town by one of his ringing colleagues who was in the automobile trade. In 1900 residents living close to the Church cornplained ab out the noise on practise nights and so these were temporarily abandoned. A goed bell ringing team still serves the Church in recent years the bell tower has been sound proofed. Left to right: Jirn Peacock, Alf Sirnons, Jirnmie Barnett (Captain), Jack Simons, Lawrence Brown, Harry Stevenson, Richard Shuttlesworth and unidentified.

24. A Sunday morning in 1908 and the 1st Northallerton Rille Volunteers march from along the High Street after Church parade. This Battalion was formed as a part of the local militia during the Napoleonic Wars and was disbanded in 1908 to become part of the 4th Battalion (Territorial) of the Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment (The Green Howards).

25. A moment of poignancy is captured on this fine Summer's morning - August 6th, 1921, as this large crowd gathers by the Church to participate in the unveiling of the memorial to those young men of the town who gave their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918. Officers take the salute, the Vicar of Northallerton reads the service and speaks the oration and there ean be few in the crowd who did not wipe away a tear shed in memory of a lost friend or loved one. The annual act of Remembrance is held by this memorial each year. Monies raised to provide a memorial to those who died in the 1939-1945 War was used to build a Memorial Swimming Baths, a much needed amenity.

ยท Porch House, Northatlerton

26. This red brick, pantiled roof, house is the oldest domestic building in Northallerton. Alterations in 1844 exposed an oak beam on which were carved the initials of Richard Metcalfe and his wife and the date 1584. The Metcalfes with their seat at Nappa Hall in Wensleydale were a long established, prominent family in the area. Their coat of arms ean be seen on a tombstone in the Parish Church. A staunch Royalist family in the English Civil War, the Metcalfes twice gave shelter to King Charles I in this house, firstly in August 1640 and then in 1647 when the King, then a prisoner, was being taken south by the Parliamentarians. This picture was taken in 1925, but the house remains unchanged today.

Cottage Hcsp.tat. Northallerton.

PE!. A6~E .~ SEP. ES. lC J 5-

~

27. October 1877 the cottage hospital was opened in this building known as Vine House, because of the huge vine which clung to its walls. Built originally as a private dwelling, the house had been the meeting place for the Quarter Sessions between 1720 and 1770 and became the Post Office from 1850-1876. It was the only hospital in the area and financing it proved difficult until in 1890 an appeal for more subscribers brought in a succession of large donations from a Mr. John Rutson of Newby Wiske Hall and as a mark of recognition for this generosity the cottage hospital, seen here in 1904, was later named the Rutson Hospital after him. This hospital is now part of the Northallerton group of hospitals, along with the Mount and the Friarage.

28. The staff of the Rutson Hospital pose in its attractive garden in this June 1919 picture. During the First World War the hospital was mainly concerned with nursing the wounded and discharged soldiers. The Matron, Miss E.S. Osbourn, who ran the hospital from 1916 until1929, ean be seen at the centre of the group.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek