Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. This almost Scottish baroniallooking building, built in 1828 and seen here in 1905, is the old vicarage, to the south of the Church, and close to Cast1e Hills and the town cemetary. lts size ref1ects the status of the vicar of Northal1erton who is also the Rural Dean. The building now houses alocal government department, the present vicarage being a more modest and manageable detached house in its grounds.

T

30. It is difficult to believe that this quiet Green at North End with its village atmosphere is only a few hundred yards beyond the bustle of the High Street, The original village of Northallerton developed here, close to the church and the long demolished castle. In this picture, taken in 1903, a group of boys play, perhaps pupils from the nearby Grammar School, in their caps, knickerbockers and eton jackets. The scene has changed very little, except for a greater flow of traffic and necessary road widening.

31. When this picture was taken in 1905, the Mount was a private residence owned by Mr. E. Little, a member of the cottage hospital board. It was established in 1864 as a preparatory school, run by the Reverend E. Burttleston, on a site to the north of the town where in 1138 the English Cavalry was lined up at the Battle of the Standard. It sat in extensive grounds and accommodated between forty and fifty boarders, and effered tuition for university scholarships.

32. The Litt1e family were closely assoeiated with the Scout and Guide movement in the Town and the Guldes and Brownies had the Mount as their headquarters. This group formal1y poses for the camera on the front lawn in 1918. The grandehildren of many of these young girls were later to be bom in the house, because it is now the Maternity Hospital, a far cry from that cavalry position of 1138!

33. This well proportioned house stands overlooking North End Green and was built in the early 19th century. lts name 'Standard House' recalls the Battle of the Standard which was fought to the north of the town in 1138. It was for many years the home of Mr. John Ingleby Jefferson, a solieitor and the Deputy Steward for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners who were Lords of the Manor of Northallerton in succession to the Bishop of Durham. Mr. Jefferson was a prominent man in the town, a solieitor and one of the management committee of the cottage hospital. lt was his garden which accommodated the market cross when the Shambles was demolished and the Town Hall built in 1872-73. The house, photographed here in 1920, is now a localgovernment office.

34. The High Street continues beyond the Town Hall, but becomes less commercial and more residential as this 1908 picture shows. This large ivy covered, double fronted house, overlooking the Church, dates from the early 19th century and was owned by William Fowle, a solicitor. For a time it was the town library, but is now loeal government offices. The distant stone faced three storey building is Durham House, once the Bishop of Durham's property, but now a shop.

35. At the south end of the town the High Street becomes the Thirsk Road, seen here in 1913. The building to the left is the newly erected Drill Hall, built in 1911 at a cost of f.2,200 and was the headquarters of the, 4th Battalion (Territorial) Alexandra, Princess -of Wales' Own Yorkshire Regiment. Raised as a foot regiment in 1688 and known as the Green Howards, it became associated with Yorkshire in 1782 when it became the first North Riding Regiment. It became the Princess of Wales' Own Regiment in 1875 when the Princess, later Queen Alexandra, presented it with new colours. On the outbreak of war in 1914 this local Territorial Battalion was quickly drawn into action in Belgium. Today the Drill Hall is the headquarters of the Army cadet force and the local Army Careers Office.

36. A Grammar School was founded in the town in 1327, to teach church and choral musie as well as Latin and Greek. The Bishop of Durham endowed it with a scholarship worth !l0 per year, to Peterhouse College, Cambridge. It occupied a building close to the church, whieh was rebuilt in the 18th century. In 1909 a new Grammar School was built amidst spacious playing fields to the south east of the High Street. The master of the 1327 Grammar School was John Podefay, but here in 1912 the pupils of the new school pose in a group with their headmaster, John William Bearder, M.A., Ph.D.

37. When this picture was taken in 1916, the Great War had been raging for two years and the Grammar School had been requisitioned as an Army Centre housing men of the Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards). Hence the flag pole and the two field guns mounted outside the main block on the spot where the pupils posed for that 1912 group photograph. During the War, rooms were set aside at County Hall, where the pupils received their lessons until1918.

38. This 1906 picture of Oak Mount which lies on the Thirsk Road was built in 1902 as the residence of Mr. J. Walker, the owner of North Arch Tannery in Northallerton and the Egglescliffe Tannery at Yarm, the business being established in 1861. These tanneries prepared oak bark, tanned shaved and dressed hides, curried harness and bridle leather. Tanning was long associated with the town, some tanners eperating in the old shamble buildings. The house is now an old people's home.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek