Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
:   Yorkshire, North
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2290-0
:   96
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. Northallerton was historically the centre of administration for the N orth Riding of Yorkshire, so with the development of the Local Government system in the late 19th century it became the natural choice for the headquarters of the North Riding County Council. By the beginning of the 20th century it was obvious that the older buildings in East Road and Zetland Street were inadequate and so plans were made for a new building on the site of the old racecourse, close to the railway station. Work on the new headquarters, which were to eest .t:25,000, began in 1903 and the building was not opened until January 1906. This picture, taken late in 1905, shows the main adrninistrative block, buildors materials can be seen where now there are lawns and flower beds,

40. The North Riding Constabulary was established in 1856 with a Chief Constabie and fifty men, and a headquarters in East Road, Northallerton, close to the Prison and Magistrates Court. By 1908 these premises had become inadequate and so a new police headquarters was built in Racecourse Lane, close to County Hall, and opened in 1910 when this picture was taken. This building continued as the headquarters of the North Yorkshire Police unti11977 by which time it too had become overcrowded. Newby Wiske Hall was purchased from the Rutson family to become the new headquarters, whilst this building in Racecourse Lane became the Town Police Station.

41. Early in the 18th century the first Fire Station was opened on Fosters Yard (now part of Northallerton Co-operative), Towards the end of the 19th century, it was found that certain insurance companies would not insure property in the town against the risk of fire unless more up-to-date fire fighting equipment was made available. A horse-drawn Merryweather steam fire engine was purchased about 1890 and a number of the gentlemen formed the Brigade. The first fire attended after the purchase of the steamer was on a Christmas morning at Solberge Hall; no arrangements had been made for horses to tow the appliance and, therefore, it was man-handled by the firemen the four and a half miles to the Hall from Northallerton. Unfortunately not one of the firemen knew how to operate this new pi├Ęce of equipment and it had to stand by whilst the Hall was completely burned out. The photograph, taken in 1899, shows the Brigade outside their headquarters on East Road. Left to right:

J. Guthrie (Currier); G.J. Robinson (Insurance Agent); G. Eyre (Grocer); Dr. Barton (Vicar); Dr. Tweedie (Doctor); R. Prest (Shopkeeper); A. Robinson (printer); Mr. Nettleton (Vet); J. Ward (Draper); H. Ward (Civil Servant); R. Bell (Solicitor); Mr. Smith (Ironmonger) and 1. Dale (proprietor of Golden Lion),

42. The town was served by its own newspaper , "The North Riding and NorthaIlerton News' , printed in the town from 1900-1927 and appearing weekly every Saturday. Here, in 1908, the staff pose for the camera with the newspaper's proprietor , Mr. Joseph Carlill Savill, seen here with bis bowler hat on bis knee. The young man at the right of the picture is the compiler's matemal grandfather . The newspaper included items of national news as weIl as Ioeal stories.

43. One of the items which the 'North Riding and Northallerton News' must have featured in May 1914 was the crash of a Royal Flying Corps aircraft of No. 2 Squadron, to the north of the town. This type 10 B.E. Biplane had taken an early morning flight from Seaton Carew in County Durham, when it hit dense fog and the pilot attempted a landing with disasterous results. The pilot and his mechanic were both killed. Aeroplanes were still a novelty and so this accident aroused tremendous curiosity and a Question asked in Parliament. During the Great War there were severallanding fields in the area of the town, whilst in the Second World War the town became a centre for off duty Bomber Command personnel, and in the later stages these were mainly Canadians.

44. The loeal paper no doubt gave publicity to this Belgian flag day held in the town in August 1915. During the Great War many Belgian children were billeted in the area 'for the duration', both in Northallerton and the surrounding villages. There appears to have been close links with that country. In 1820 a younger son of the Wilford family went to Belgium and founded a linen manufacturing industry at Famise, a business which continued long after the linen manufacturing in the Northallerton area ceased. There was an exchange of ideas and linen technology between Belgium and the Northallerton area, hence Northallerton's special interest in raising funds for Belgium by a flag day,

45. Carniva1 time provides a great opportunity for people to assume fancy dress and parade through the town. These ladies, a gay assortment of gipsies, geisha girls and victorian matrons, line up, with their suitably bedeeked bicycles, to await judging at the 1910 Carnival, watched by a group of critical spectators. The carniva1 has been revived in recent years, but it perhaps lacks the gay, holiday atmosphere of this earliet event.

46. The British National Brass Band competition is nowadays held at the Royal Albert Hall in London, but for many years it was staged in the open air at Hardraw Falls in Wensleydale. During the competitions Northa1lerton railway station would bustle with passengers arriving from all parts of the country, in order to board the special trains which would take them to that picturesque Dales venue. Brass Bands have had a long association with the north of England. Northallerton, along with most northem towns, bad its own Brass Band. The ensemble (Northallerton Borough Band) pictured here in 1875 won second prize in the Darlington Silver Band competition of that year, a competition which was one of the heats in the national competition. Back row, left to right: T. Jenkinson, H. Daughty, A. Barker, J. Barker, E. Thompson, E. Stockhill, F. Fowler, R. Weighell and J. Marwood. Front row, left to right: J. Meynell, C. Fowler, H. Lumley, G. Curry, J. Barnett, P. Nealand R. Shuttlesworth.

47. In 1899 the Northallerton E1ectric Light and Power Company was founded by a Mr. Ernest Hutton. Here, in 1920, a new underground electricity cable is being laid along Romanby Road to the Linoleum Factory and Mr. Fawcett and his gang of cable layers pose for the camera to record this event.

48. 'I want all you lads in earIy tomorrow for a formal works photograph' , was the edict which went out, from Mr. Thomas Place, timber merchant, one day in 1900. Messrs. T. Place and Sons started from small beginnings in 1890 in a yard at North End. At its height the company employed eighty men. Most of the timber came from large estates in the area and was cut to supply shipyards, collieries and local builders in Place's extensive timber yards. The Forestry Commission has since planted and manages large forests in the nearby Cleveland and Hambleton Hills at Ingleby, Osmotherley and Boltby.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek