Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. August 9th, 1928, Viscount Lascelles lays the foundation stone of Church House in Romanby Road. This building was used for Parish meetings and functions. Viscount Lascelles was the husband of the Princess Royal and in 1929 he succeeded his father as 6th Earl of Harewood. The Lascelles family were long associated with the area, holding lands in Brompton and Northallerton, and also controlling the two Northallerton Parliamentary seats until the Reform Elections of 1832. Lascelles Lane and the Harewood Arms in the town are current reminders of this association.

50. The chief factory in the town was the Northallerton Linoleum Company, which belonged to Messrs. Miles, Sykes and Company Limited, who bought the business in 1912. The business was founded in the mid·19th century by Sir George Elliott, M.P. for Northallerton, but originally made only tarpaulin and brattice cloth. The new owners introduced the manufacturing of linoleum, harness, horse cloths and motor car covers. In 1922, when this picture was taken, it employed about two hundred workers.

51. By the early years of this century it was realised that the National School in East Road was too small for the growing population of the town, and that a new Infant School was needed. After much controversy concerning the site of this new school, building began in Springwell Lane in March 1908. The school, to be called the Applegarth, was opened in 1909. This picture shows the building in 1925.

52. These children are having a singing lesson with their teacher, Miss Harrison, in 1911. This large hall lies at the centre of the building, surrounded by the classrooms, one of which ean be seen through the glass sereens in the background. Built at a cost of t4,329.8s.6d. by Rhodes of Leeds, the school reflects the style of architecture of the time. The interior is exactly the same today, apart from improvements in the heating and lighting.

53. A Church had existed in Romanby since medieval times as a Chapel of Ease for Northallerton Church, but this was demolished in the 1520's on the orders of Cardinal Wolsey when the Vicar refused to comply with his wishes. In 1879 the Romanby School room was licensed for divine worship and an additional curate was appointed. However, this proved to be inadequate and in June 1881 the foundation stone for St. James' Church was laid by Mr. John Hutton of Solberge Hall, a Iocal landowner. The new Church was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on May 30th, 1882. The picture shows the Church in 1904.

54. A peacefu1 summer's day by the Green at Romanby in 1903. Two boys, one in Norfolk jacket, knickerbockers and cloth cap, the other in a sailor suit, ref1ect the fashion in children's dress at the beginning of the century as they carry home milk pails, The cottages show a mixture of domestic architectural styles, the earliest dating from the mid-18th century.

55. The Golden Lion Inn at Romanby faces onto the Green and is here seen as it was in the 1880's, when it offered not only ale, but also stabling for horses, The building has been much altered as the photograph evidences. New bricks on the gable end show an alteration in the roof line. The gently bowed windows wou1d have been installed in the early 18th century, whilst the angular bay beneath the Inn sign would be a more recent addition. Evidence of bricked up doorways beyend that bay reveal that this part of the building had been a row of cottages.

Romanóy, Northa/lerfon.

?

-

.. ,--~~<~

56. By 1913, when this picture was taken, the Golden Lion had been further altered. The roof on the farthest part of the building had been raised to produce a more regular roof line, The curved bays had been replaced by larger more angular bays, one of which extended weU onto the pavement, and the upstairs sash windows had been replaced with casements. The horse being led into the street would suggest that the Inn still offered good stabling. Looking at this rural scene, it is hard to believe that the busy main railway line runs just behind the row of cottages across the Green or that Northallerton Railway Station is only a few hundred yards away from the Golden Lion Inn.

57. This splendid clock tower stands to the south of Romanby Green on the Ainderby Road and is a memorial to those men of the Parish who died in the 1914·1918 War. By the time that this picture was taken, in 1927, housing development in the village had extended beyond the Green and was to further expand in the inter-war years. More recent building has greatly increased the size of the village, so that it is difficult to identify Romanby as a cornmunity distinct from Northallerton. Only the area around the Green remains unspoilt and unchanged.

Romanby War Memorial

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek